Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First overnight smoke on new MAK 2 Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First overnight smoke on new MAK 2 Star

Did my first overnight smoke on my new MAK 2 Star, pulled pork! This was also my first long cook, up until now the longest I've done is ribs for 6 hrs, and before that a few whole chickens (but done at higher 350 temp). So, this was kinda a two for one test, how well does it work on a longer cook, and how well does it work overnight. I had a standard grocery store bone in 9 lbs pork butt. I know there are many ways to do pulled pork, but i wanted to do it as close to what I would have on my old WSM. I did some yellow mustard and then my standard basic BBQ rub. Put it on at 8 PM. I haven't done anything on the MAK with just the "smoke" setting so I decided to do that for 30 min, I was just curious if it put out more smoke, or just a lower temp. Anyway, at 8:30 turned up to 225 where I left it the rest of the way. I used a combo of hickory and pecan pellets. It was mixed from two different open bags, in the end Im not sure exactly how much pellets were used, I would guess maybe 3/4 of a bag. I put in the internal k-probe that came with the MAK, but didn't program anything (saving that for another time). I checked on it about 10 PM before going to bed and everything looked good. I checked on it about 8 AM the next day and I believe it was at about 160 IT (I didn't write it down because of course I would remember, which of course I dont exactly). First pic is at 8 AM. IT hit 196 at 2:30 PM and that was good enough for me. I pulled it, wrapped in foil, towel, cooler, etc. Pulled and shredded at 5:30 for dinner. Overall very happy, I would say as good my best on the WSM, with a lot less work. The meat was moist and juicy, not greasy. Nice bark and smoky flavor. Whole family (including the semi vegetarian) said it was fabulous. Next time I might try a higher temp to cut down the cooking time a little, or some of the other techniques to reduce overall time. But its nice to know I can put a pork butt on there, go to bed, and have amazing pulled pork for dinner the next day with minimal effort on my part, exactly the reason I pulled the trigger on a high end pellet smoker. Only complaint was from my wife who said it made the house smell too smoky overnight. It was a breezy night and we had a bedroom window open (but on the other side of the house). Possibly I could move the MAK farther away from the house if I know its not going to rain, and/or make sure windows are shut. Anyway, just something we will have to live with for great BBQ. She never mentioned it again after tasting
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3804.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	857865
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3809.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	857864

Looks tasty. I really like my GMG for the long cooks as well, Briskey and Pulled pork. I have a 12" smoke tube that I start out with to help the smoke profile.

Comment

Looks good. There are few things as satisfying In BBQ as having a successful overnight cook on a new smoker. Once past that hurdle you feel much better about your decision to purchase it.

Comment

Nice job. The MAK is a great piece of gear.

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Looks excellent. Congrats, and welcome to the club! I used to do the smoke tube as well, like Davek8282, but it’s simply not necessary with the MAK. Best smoking pellet cooker there is, period. Enjoy!

Comment

From one happy MAK owner to another... NICE job 👍

Comment

Great looking pork HiggsBoson . Have fun with that New MAK!

Comment

Looks great. Don't you just love it when it works out like you wanted it to.....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here