Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First smoke on my MAK Two Star!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First smoke on my MAK Two Star!

Did my first smoke on my new Two Star General over Memorial Day Weekend. I tried out "grilling" first with some burgers and chicken thighs, but this was my first "smoke", pork spareribs. I prefer baby back, but at the time I went shopping they only had spareribs, so thats what I got. I wanted to basically follow something I knew well from smoking on my Weber (WSM), so I used my standard rub and a basic 3-2-1 cooking technique. I had a mix of hickory and pecan pellets. 3 hrs at 225, and then foil wrap and turn temp up to 250 for the rest, unwrap after two hrs, and one more hour unwrapped.

Verdict: very good! Im happy with my first smoke. I didn't make quite enough rub and would have preferred a little more, one rack that didn't quite get enough I put some sauce on during the last hour. They were moist, tender, good flavor, nice smoke ring, cooked about perfect for me (I prefer a little less than the "fall off the bone" many people like). Spareribs are fattier, which is one reason I dont normally do them, but Im pleased with the results for my first try. One complaint about pellet smokers, and one of the reasons I've avoided them for years was the complaint they didn't create enough smokey flavor in the meat. As far as "smokiness" goes, it was less than what I would (sometimes depending on how much wood chunks) get on the WSM, but to be honest sometimes the WSM was too much smoke, especially if I was impatient and didn't wait for the smoker to be perfect before putting the meat on. So, I thought the smoke was a little more subdued, but in a good way, smokey flavor, (I could taste the addition of the pecan pellets.) but not overpowering.

As far as using the MAK I have no complaints so far. I've done 4 grilling sessions (trying to see if it can really replace my Weber Summit gas grill for everyday grilling) and this one smoke. Im doing smoked chicken today and I have a bone in pork shoulder thawing to attempt my first long overnight cook of pulled pork sometime soon.

Anyway pictures! I should have taken some better ones, but everyone was hungry!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	853328

Name:	6E463244-1CBC-47FD-A221-1B5C938B49D1.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	853329

Name:	IMG_3741.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	853330

Comment

Looks good to me!
      If you find yourself wanting to boost the smoke flavor, try using any one of the hundred or so smoke tubes listed on Amazon. I use mine stuffed with wood chips for shorter cooks (3 hrs or less) that need a good smoke flavor quickly. I haven't noticed a big difference on the longer cooks like pork shoulder, but for me it raises reverse seared steaks to a higher level.
      Enjoy the new toy, and keep the pics coming!

Comment

Those are some good looking ribs and a nice plate of food. Well done on the cook.

Comment

Looks great! Congrats on the first smoke!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here