Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on my Mak 2 Star - Chicken thighs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on my Mak 2 Star - Chicken thighs.

You can read all the details and see all the pictures on my blog post: https://2for66.com/2019/05/26/chicke...hs-on-new-mak/

But, as it is said: if there are no pictures it didn't happen.
    Oh, it happened!

A few weeks ago in a post I was asking about chicken and indirect cookin; rwalters suggested I stop stressing and just start cooking. I needed that. It turned out well.
    And, someone - or someones - on this site recommend cooking on the upper racks - I tried that and liked it.Sorry, I can't remember who it was.
    Attached Files

Holy crap that looks delicious!!!

Comment

That's some fine looking yard bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
        Holy crap that looks delicious!!!
        That's the interesting thing about photos! Looks can be deceiving
        Actually, I was really pleased with it. Thanks for the comment!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, but it works for me at my screen. That's what counts.

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, sure am glad you decided to relax and just cook... that food looks amazing!!!! Nicely done

I had two interesting things happen during this cook. I turned the grill on at the Pellet Boss and put the set point to 400. Then I logged in to Makgrillsmobile to manage the cook from there. Even though the set point showed correctly, the grill it 235 and stayed for 15 to 25 minutes. I couldn’t turn it off either through the web page or on the Pellet Boss so I unplugged it, reset it and it came up to temperature quickly - nice.

About an hour later I moved the chicken thighs to the lower rack along with the thermocouple probe. Sometime later the PB started beeping with a "Fire Alarm" warning. Yikes. I sure didn’t see anything worrisome going on but I turned it off then back on again to finish the cook. I’ll call the Mak guys tomorrow to get some help on what I was doing wrong.

Comment

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Bad news/good news. You are experiencing a few bugs in the latest version of firmware on your Pellet Boss controller. I and others were having the same/similar issues when using MAK Grills Mobile. MAK just released an updated version of firmware that seems to have resolved these issues. I received the latest version a couple of weeks ago and have had no issues since. Unfortunately you’ll most likely have to send your controller in for the update. It’s free but takes about a week or so.

And (maybe) finallly. Am I crazy or did the pellet hopper cover use to open the other direction back in 2011?

Comment

• rwalters
          rwalters commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, not crazy... it’s the opposite of what it used to be.

Looks delicious

Comment

Need to do more chicken. Looks great

Comment

Great lookin' cook for sure.

Comment

That is a beautiful machine. Oh, the chicken looks great also.

Comment

Beautiful thighs. Wait, I ought to say chicken thighs in case my wife sees this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here