Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to do two zone cooking on the new Mak 2 Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to do two zone cooking on the new Mak 2 Stars

I thought I thought of everything before buying a new Mak. But I got to wondering, how can I do two zone cooking. I often cook a spatchcocked (love that word) chicken pressed under bricks. I place it on the grill so the legs and thighs are pointing to the fire and the breasts are in the relatively cooler spot. My initial thought has been to cover the front 1/2 of the flame zone and place the chicken on that with the legs pointed to an uncovered flame zone in the back.

If you've done some similar cooking - or maybe chicken thighs that also benefit from 2 zone cooking - I'd love to hear your techniques, thoughts, tips.

I do it on my Weber w/SnS when I’m not rotoing. I flatten the bird wiff my hands & don’t use a brick. I point the ankles at the fire. That’s it. Then sear that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
      I do it on my Weber w/SnS when I’m not rooting. I flatten the bird wiff my hands & don’t use a brick. I point the ankles at the fire. That it. Then sear that sucker.
      Thanks. Yeah, I've found the method to work real well on my Slow 'n Sear as well. It works great because of the clearly delineated zones of hot and coolish.

Comment

For the method you are describing, I think you have already identified the best way. One Flame Zone cover on, and one off.

Comment

Originally posted by rwalters View Post
          For the method you are describing, I think you have already identified the best way. One Flame Zone cover on, and one off.
          It does seem like the way. It will probably take a bit of practice to get the temps right - which will be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 2for66 View Post

It does seem like the way. It will probably take a bit of practice to get the temps right - which will be fun.
            Keep us all posted on what you learn. I have the 2 star as well and have been wondering the same.

Comment

I'm confused. Two zone in a pellet cooking chamber? I realize most pellet cookers have hotter and cooler areas, but that's not really what I would consider 2 zone. If you're worried about where to place the chicken temperature wise, I suggest you do a simple bread test or if you have multiple probes place them in the cooker and find out where those zones are. Then place the chicken accordingly. I find in my pellet cooker there are distinct zones based on location over the fire pot on one end and an open baffle I have at the other. In between it's a bit cooler.

Again describing what amounts to a convection oven as having zones is not really a true 2 zone situation like you'd have in a kettle with an SNS.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah - you said what I was thinking when I first saw this thread yesterday. You have a convection fan circulating the heat in all pellet smokers.

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
              I'm confused. Two zone in a pellet cooking chamber? I realize most pellet cookers have hotter and cooler areas, but that's not really what I would consider 2 zone. If you're worried about where to place the chicken temperature wise, I suggest you do a simple bread test or if you have multiple probes place them in the cooker and find out where those zones are. Then place the chicken accordingly. I find in my pellet cooker there are distinct zones based on location over the fire pot on one end and an open baffle I have at the other. In between it's a bit cooler.

Again describing what amounts to a convection oven as having zones is not really a true 2 zone situation like you'd have in a kettle with an SNS.
              Right. I orignally figured I’d get 2 zones with the flame zone cover off on one side. Or at least it will (maybe?) provide direct and indirect heat "areas". Then I’ll treat the covered half as the cooler side - maybe not a lot cooler. I’ll start cooking on the indirect side and finish on the direct.

I do have a Weber Kettle with SnS but am hoping to convert to using one grill for everything.

Aside from the my chicken example; I wonder if/how people do reverse sear steaks on a recent Mak 2 Star with the flame zone.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                A reverse sear would involve cooking the steaks at low temp - say 225F - then remove from the Mak when they hit something like 115 to 120. Remove the flame zone covers, crank it as high as it goes (500?), then throw the steaks down over the flame zone for searing.

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                One grill for everything? That's crazy talk!

Looking around, it looks like another method is to cook the chicken - or whatever - under lower heat for the first part of the cook, then stash it in the warming drawer and put the pedal to the medal by taking off at least one flame zone cover and boosting the temp. When the grill is up to temp put it back in the main chamber for a few minutes to get that last browning

Comment

Well, geesh, it's not like I haven't done this before. Back in April 2011I did the exact thing I've been thinking about on Mak 2 Star #327. I even wrote a blog post about it. Now, I'm not sure if I can post links to other sites in this forum, but let's try.
                et's go to the tape.
                April 13, 2011 It was time to try the Mak 2 Star as a grill rather than a smoker. It hit 60 degrees today and was almost sunny so I thought I’d go for summer style dinner. Grilled chicken wit…

If that link gets stripped out, you can go to 2for66 dot com and search for Italian style grilled chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by 2for66 View Post
                  Looking around, it looks like another method is to cook the chicken - or whatever - under lower heat for the first part of the cook, then stash it in the warming drawer and put the pedal to the medal by taking off at least one flame zone cover and boosting the temp. When the grill is up to temp put it back in the main chamber for a few minutes to get that last browning
                  Honestly, in my opinion you are making this more difficult than necessary. Personally, I find that instead of spatchcocking (there’s that word again... lol) the chicken, I prefer to cut it into its individual parts (legs, thighs, breasts, etc) and cook each part to its appropriate internal temp. Much more consistent results IMO. Heck, I even do that with my Thanksgiving turkeys
                  Last edited by rwalters; May 10, 2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rwalters View Post

Honestly, in my opinion you are making this more difficult than necessary. ... I even do that with my Thanksgiving turkeys
                    But making things more difficult that necessary is my go-to move. :0
                    I agree I’m overthinking it; probably because the grill is still in pieces and I can’t actually cook.
                    I have a buddy who cuts his Thanksgiving turkey into quarters and loves the result - he cooks on a Weber Smoky Mountain (is that the name?)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here