Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAK's newest firmware 3.63+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAK's newest firmware 3.63+

For anyone with a MAK, especially anyone with a flamezone, I highly suggest you reach out to MAK and get the firmware update module.

From off to smoke in 3 minutes! From off to 200 in less than 8, and depending on weather and pellets from off to grill (450+) in about 10 minutes.

It has a relight function where it will attempt 1 time to relight if it senses a flame out

The shut down function now primes the firepot for the next use

It responds quickly not just to temp increases, but will do even large temp decreases fairly quick now

And finally, it cranks out more smoke at all temp ranges, to include over 400 (though obviously the best smoke is still at 245 and below)! I've been able to get smokey wings cooking at 325-375 the whole way, no more smoke mode for 30 minutes or an hour before kicking the temp up. For wings, they aren't as smokey as if you did the low then crank to high, but they are crispy every single time.

Finally, some folks are beta testing an app for the wireless. I assume because of world problems that got kicked to the backburner, but it is something that's finally happening even if it doesn't have anything to do with this firmware version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	off to smoke.png
Views:	474
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1192664

Do you know when the updated firmware was released?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I started testing it back in Nov or Dec, it's been available to everyone since January I think

Thank you for this post!

Comment

I am glad you posted this here, thanks.

Comment

Great info. Thanks.

What’s the process to upgrade the firmware?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          call MAK, they send you a little module, you either pull your controller out, or pop the fan panel off, plug the module into the appropriate port, follow the instructions, it beeps, you put it back in the box and attach the pre-paid shipping label and send it back

• T-bone
          T-bone commented
          Editing a comment
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs thanks much! Very appreciated.

I just pinged Dennis in Support via email. Very interested in being able to apply a firmware upgrade without having to swap chips or cross ship the Pellet Boss controller. Mine is a 2018 MAK 2 Star, so not sure the plugin module will work. I'll let you all know how MAK responds.
        Last edited by GolfGeezer; March 23, 2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          GlassHalfFullAz let me know if you notice the same things I did... especially since most of my MAK experience was with my 2018

• GlassHalfFullAz
          GlassHalfFullAz commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife tasted more smoke ( I tasted the beer I was drinking), I noticed a quicker startup, I have not looked for the priming of the fire pot, i will soon.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          GlassHalfFullAz if you press shut down and leave it alone at the very end it dumps a little bit of pellets so the next startup is even quicker.

I updated mine back around the first of February using the module from MAK. With all the cold, wind and busy weekends, I’ve only used the MAK a few times since then. The Smoke setting temps seem more stable. Dennis said auto-relight was added in an 2.58 and the difference between that and 2.63 were changes to the fan algorithm for the Smoke setting (In case anyone has 2.58 already and wonders what changed between).

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          it changes other stuff whether it was intentional or not, it definitely pumps out more smoke and handles both increase and decrease in temp much faster/reliable (in the case of decreases). Granted some of that could have been in 2.58. I still have issues with smoke setting, but it seems unique to myself and a few other stainless 2 star owners. Once I set for a temp 200 or higher it's rock solid.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          I think a lot was already in 2.58. My temp changes seemed much faster than what you were sharing when I first got my MAK. I also wonder how many people just don’t use the Smoke setting a lot? I don’t, but did notice it jumped over 200 a lot before the upgrade. Still does some, just not as much.
          Last edited by glitchy; March 23, 2022, 09:24 AM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          I used to use smoke a lot on jerky and such, on my old 2 star it would run a solid 165-180, before this update I couldn't keep it under 200. Now it more or less stays at 190 but I still wish I could get it consistently lower like my old MAK. Still, the current firmware is a massive improvement.

I just confirmed with MAK Support that the ability to update the firmware via a module upload works for my "older" generation Pellet Boss. Mine is the version with the newer K-style probe ports, but still has the non-integrated, plug-it-in-yourself, WiFi chip. I believe the latest Pellet Boss has the WiFi capability built-in.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          correct, I believe I posted a back shot of the 2 controllers while I still had 2. Let us know if you notice the improvements once you upgrade

Talked to Dennis yesterday and got shipping notification today. Looking forward to trying out the new firmware.

Comment

I did another cook yesterday, jacket potatoes, new firmware worked great. Tonight I did chicken thigs, noticed more smoke yet no burning of the thighs. So far I am happy with the update. I also noticed the extra pellets in the fire pit after the cool down was finished.

Comment

This is my first cook after upgrading to 3.63. Some dino ribs with Beef Bulls**t rub that I dry brined overnight. I decided to use a shallow foil pan with an inverted Bradley rack on the main grate and put a Fireboard ambient probe in the middle of the upper rack. I left the thermocouple in its "normal" position in the back left.

Here is a pic of the setup:

Click image for larger version  Name:	After 3.63 Upgrade Setup for Beef Ribs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	241.3 KB ID:	1204014

My target cook temp is 250*. Based on how the MAK previously performed, I set the Pellet Boss to 235*, expecting a 10*-15* variance between the main and upper grates. I was surprised to see the FB probe register about 300* in the first 20 minutes. Then it rapidly dropped and settled around 250*+ in 30 minutes. I reset the Setpoint to 240*. Here is what the FB is showing so far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-09 at 8.33.46 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	176.5 KB ID:	1204015

We'll see how she goes.

UH-OH!! Temp is rapidly dropping. I'll be back.

UPDATE: well, I do not know why it has dropped and is now running about 20*-25* less. No bridging of pellets, I did not open the lid, and the pellets are all from the same bag (Lumberjack Oak). If it stays this way, I will up the temp to 250* or 260* to speed the cook along.

The only impact from my perspective is that the cook time may be off by a bit. No big deal there.
            Last edited by GolfGeezer; April 9, 2022, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              what did you MAK say it was running at? I only put my fireboard probe wherever the MAK thermocouple is at and generally it's really close.

• GolfGeezer
              GolfGeezer commented
              Editing a comment
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs this has been one long cook -still going as the ribs are just now getting to 190* IT. I decided to also plug an ambient probe into my Spark. Kind of cool to see both the FB and Spark in the same graph. Both have been pretty close to the PB’s set point and grill temp. I think I did have some other pellets mixed in with the oak ones. It’s possible the big jump is from going from one layer to another.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here