Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brass Ball Valve Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brass Ball Valve Drain

I placed my order a few weeks ago and now start the long, arduous wait for my pellet smoker to arrive. Along with that wait comes the second-guessing. I'm wondering if I should have added the brass ball valve drain to my pit. But then I realize that I don't know what it does. Is it a run-off drain for drippings? If not, what does it do?

The design of these smokers is intended to allow you to fill the bottom with water, without using a water pan. So then both the water and drippings would all drain out together.

I don't use mine that way. I have a water pan that I put next to the firebox, and then I've used foil, or more often a hotel pan to catch drippings. In any case, from time to time, you gotta wash the thing out. So I use the ball valve a few times a year when I wash it out. In hindsight, would it be essential? Nah. But I'm glad I have it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure he wants to fill up the pellet pooper with water.

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      NEVER MIND! Damn Jerod making me feel like an idiot.... again.

They look to have a dedicated grease bucket location. I guess wiping things out would be a little easier down that drain. Not sure a dedicated ball valve would necessary.

Comment

It comes with a threaded pipe that serves as the grease drain. If you wanted to add a valve to it down the road, it could be done very easily.

Comment

So I emailed and asked to add the valve to my order... along with the upgraded 8" wheels.

I'm convinced this is why they make you wait so long for your smoker.... it gives you lots of extra time to add accessories

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Good choice adding the 8”wheels and ball valve. The wheels will make it much easier to move around if you choose to. Plus they look much better, more the correct size so to speak.

• vtkess02
          vtkess02 commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve that's what I was thinking... plus, given the fact that this thing weighs close to 400lbs, I'm not sure I'll be able to get it up the stairs onto my deck which means it might stay on the uneven ground of my yard.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          I've got the 8" Wheels on my LSG Adjustable and never have regretted it. Mine sleeps in the garage and rolls out just to cook.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here