Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Chimp Cook Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Chimp Cook Observations

Second cook was some Korean bbq wings last night. Set it to run at 375 on mode 1, which is PID controlled. It didn’t perform as well as I expected, but it was a little chilly out (mid 40s), and I didn’t adjust the pellet feed rate. It ran around 360 most of the time, and it was a little slow recovering after I lifted the lid. I think adjusting the feed rate will fix that though, it is a pretty simple operation. Took about an hour, Results were pretty darn good:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	339A6394-E818-4C30-963C-5329AF06F49C.jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	953706

I'd say that looks considerably better than "pretty darn good".

Comment

First off that looks good.

Second, don't obsess over temp. I actually dislike the "look at my flat Fireboard graph!" posts because it sets expectations that are not only a bit unrealistic, it emphasizes something that really just does not matter - tight temp control. All those amazing places in Texas and Kansas City and Memphis etc? The old school places? Do you think they control their temps to 5 degrees? Hell no. We've all done roasts etc in our ovens and those things vary wildly up and down... but they average whatever you've set them at. 15 degrees just won't affect your cooks.

Did I mention those look good?

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't personally obsess over a 15° swing. But a PID controller on a brand new unit should be more accurate than that if setup right, so I understand being less than satisfied with that.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve - Sure, on the one hand I get that. But on the other... it doesnt really matter to the end product (and I'd imagine is affected by length of cook, conditions, wind or not, etc.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory, HawkerXP, Mr. Bones Steve R. hit it on the head. AR has taught me not to worry about small temp changes, I just wanted to see if the grill works as advertised.

I'm still using the factory settings on my PBC and am very satisfied with the results.

Love them wings!
      Last edited by HawkerXP; December 10, 2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL
        ---! ---! ---!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s cause you are the man

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP What? Are you afraid to take a chance? Go ahead break the rules and change the settings. I dare ya.
        Last edited by ofelles; December 10, 2020, 03:58 PM.

Looking good!

Comment

When I saw the title "Second Chimp Cook" my first thought was "there are some hardcore dudes out here grilling monkeys while I am just doing chicken legs" but then I realized it was in the Grilla forum. Carry on.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s next lol

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers Yes, hello, this is the endangered species enforcement dept. We will be out to your place first thing tomorrow morning. We need to talk!
          Last edited by ofelles; December 10, 2020, 03:33 PM.

A 15 degree variance is nothing to fret about. Yes adjusting the feed rate a bit might help, but it will reset every time you unplug it.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I know, but I just want to see how well it performs in pid mode. I will probably never use it since I like smoke flavor.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers Same. I use it when I'm 'power cambro'ing' butts or briskets, but 99% of the time it's Mode 2...(which cannot be adjusted for feed rate).

Looks pretty good to me!

Comment

Wings! Anytime, anyhow, anywhere. Love me some wings! Those look terrific.

Comment

Pretty darn good...Hmmm...I think a whole heck of a lot more...They look frickin' Awesome!

Comment

Looks good and pair with PBR, or Soju.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I have been drinking Shiner Bock lately, great beer

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                klflowers Agreed, Shiner Bock is a tasty beer, Amigo!

Good looking for sure and I bet better tasting...regarding temp swings, I am reminded of what Jimi Hendrix said when he had trouble keeping his guitar in tune during a show - "screw it, the only ones in tune anyway is cowboys"

Comment

Those wings look fantastic. I have a PBC, which has become my dedicated wing machine, but maybe I should give my grilla a shot afterall.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I usually use the kettle with the vortex, but I wanted to try this out and it worked great

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't be led into the darkside, my son.

Let the barrel guide you to a happy place.

I would actually use mode two, and let it swing more. And then don't open the lid. Chimp doesn't seem to have the thermal mass to recover like the Grilla OG does. But that swing in the original mode produces such quality results, I feel no compelling urge to buy the alpha upgrade kit for my OG.

#TrustTheSwing used to be something all the Grilla owners would tell newbs.
                Last edited by Potkettleblack; December 14, 2020, 02:19 PM. Reason: Poor word choice. My bad.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "I feel no compunction...
                  neither...

Reckon that's mostly on accounta bein's how I don't own a Grilla, (yet) an also on accounta I don't know what "compunction" even means lol

MBMorgan

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones - I’m not sure that "compunction" was the exactly right choice of words ... but it seemed a little too weird to quote someone and then immediately take editorial liberties. 🙄

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Bones. Have updated.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here