Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Grilla OG or Silverbac users....what Pellets do you use? And Empty the hopper after each use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Grilla OG or Silverbac users....what Pellets do you use? And Empty the hopper after each use?

Hi all! Hoping for some help since I am brand new to pellet smoking.

I know there are tons of articles and threads about people's preference for pellets and their pellet smokers, but wanted to get the opinion of this group since we're all using the same type of smoker. Are you guys using the Grilla pellets or shopping for another brand?

And another dumb question with me finding too many answers, but do you all dump your pellets when your done/empty the hopper or just leave them in until the next cook?

Thanks!

I get great results using Grilla Grills' Competition Blend pellets ... 3x20 lb. bags for $60 (and free shipping over $50). It's my understanding that they're made by Lumberjack for Grilla. I also keep a supply of BBQr's Delight on hand that also work perfectly in my OG.

I live in the ultra-dry high plains desert of central Colorado so I tend to leave my pellets in the OG. You ... in humid MD ... might want to dump yours just in case. I keep a small galvanized trash can around for those rare (like never so far) occasions when dumping seems like a good idea.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; December 7, 2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! So far I've been dumping it out storing it in an airtight pet container, though I realized last time there was a small amount in the auger/tube so I may need to vac those out to make sure it's completely empty between runs.

I've loved the Competition Blend so far, just wanted to see if there is any other options out there I should consider. Thanks for responding!

I get this question quite often. In Sothwest MI, we are considered a high humid climate as well. I leave mine outside on the back porch with a cover on. My back porch faces South and has no shade, so it gets beat by the sun all day long. I never have any issues with pellets absorbing any moisture. I know several people in Florida that have them as well with no issues.

As for brand, the Grilla pellets are made in the same factory, Great Lakes Renewable Energy, as Lumberjack. Manufactured by the same place, but with different standards.......albeit, they are not that much different.
    Lumberjack is great, Bear Mountain is great and the Grilla Pellets are great. The Cabela's branded pellets are also made at the same factory and are a great option as well. I use all 4 of those brands on a regular basis, clean every 4-5 cooks and never have any issues.

Comment

I use BBQers Delight, Candy's Mix and I think Lumberjack Maple Hickory Cherry. The only reason I get the LJ is that I can find it locally, while I have to ship BBQers Delight.

My OG remains outside in Chicagoland, shaded, and covered and I leave the pellets in. The only real problem is that accumulated dust can form a clog. Happened once at my old place. I sift the pellets to get rid of the dust now.

Comment

I only have a few month's experience, but I use Bear Mountain pellets since they available for under $10 a bag at Cash & Carry outlets. Haven't emptied the hopper yet between cooks and haven't seen and pellet degradation, but we're only a few weeks into the Seatlle rain season.. I have one of the close-out original Silverbac models with no pellet dump so it's a bit of a hassle to scoop everything out if I had to.

Comment

• BruceB
      BruceB commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to mention I have the Grilla Grills cover for the Silverbac. Seems to be nicely made and fits well. I guess they had problem with earlier covers being too tight and hard to get over the cooker.

I liked Lumberjack. Many different options from Amazon and decent prices

Comment

I've used 'em all, I think. Well several anyway, and they all work fine for me. I too get some clogs here and there, sometimes dust when left in the hopper will absorb humidity and form a bridge, and sometimes in winter it will freeze the auger. If you're in a humid and especially a humid & freezing area, might be good practice to dump after each cook to save yourself the headache of clogs or worse- freeze ups.

Comment

If you haven’t already take a look at a bucket top vacuum that fits over a 5 gallon bucket. They have the one I use at Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-H...0100/202017218 I store my pellets in "Homer" buckets and once a cook is done I vacuum them right back into the bucket. I use an empty bucket to clean up ash too.

Comment

• Baltimorelger
          Baltimorelger commented
          Editing a comment
          This feels like a real game-changer idea.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here