Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp issue with new Chimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp issue with new Chimp

Edit: It looks like the Chimp temp control is now behaving as expected. Actual temps are now very in line with the set temp after monitoring it closely for 10 tests.

I am having an issue with the temp with a new Chimp. I seasoned it yesterday and then did a burger cook and I noticed the cooker temp was a lot higher than the set temp. After the cook I did some testing. Did a few tests. Powered off after each test and then powered on and ran it at a set temp for at least 30 minutes each time. And always ran in Mode 1.

I do have a fireboard and the factory Chimp probe/thermometer and I used both in the tests. The fireboard probe is right next to the chimp probe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220609_063934.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.1 KB ID:	1234173

In the last test I did i set the temp to 220F and ran it for 30 minutes using Mode 1. The factory thermometer is reading 290F and the fireboard is reading 280F. Slight difference between the two readings but not enough to be an issue. But the issue is the actual temps are a lot higher than the set temp.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220609_070544.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.4 KB ID:	1234174

When I noticed this after the first cook I did use the Mode 1 feed rate adjustment and reduce the rate to 5%. Not sure what the factory setting was originally, but I reduced it down to what is basically the lowest feed rate setting (4% is the lowest).

I contacted Grilla and they told me "you are in the break in period. Get at least two dozen cooks on it and a couple bags of pellets through the hopper. You will see it settle in."

I find this to be unreal. These grills are supposed to be like an oven. Set the temp and it will be that temp. And how can a break in period be needed to get it to settle in? And it could take me months to do two bags of pellets and all that time I have to live with managing cooks where the actual temp is way higher than the set temp, especially with expensive cuts of brisket? If that was true, why does it not say that in the manual? And what parts need to break in that would affect the temps so much like I'm seeing? The auger? The burn pot? the igniter? I can't imagine those parts need to break in. Maybe I am overreacting and I just don't know enough about pellet grills yet.

Is this actually to be expected? Does everyone else see this as well?
    Last edited by big_mack; June 11, 2022, 12:26 PM.

It does seem odd to me.

Have you tried your Fireboard measuring temps across the grate? My Yoder has a yuge variance from top left rear to bottom front right and I've just learned to live with it - sometimes as much as 70-80ºF difference.

Comment

That reply by Grilla is BS. I mean, 'get a couple of cooks in' - fine. A couple DOZEN? The entire point of pellet grills is their ease of hitting a given temp. 10F would be no big deal. 70F difference is unacceptable.

THAT SAID... measure the temp inside at the grill where the food is. Is it possible that they do some math, knowing that the grill temp is X less than the probe temp (i.e. if the probe temp is always 60-70F higher than grill temp, you could have the controller know that and heat until the probe temp is 290F if the setting is 220F)

PS: Obviously, I'd look for any air leaks etc that could be the result of not tightening things up during assembly...
      Last edited by rickgregory; June 9, 2022, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
        That reply by Grilla is BS. I mean, 'get a couple of cooks in' - fine. A couple DOZEN? The entire point of pellet grills is their ease of hitting a given temp. 10F would be no big deal. 70F difference is unacceptable.
        that's what I was thinking but didn't say it! I thought their customer service was supposed to be excellent.

Comment

Hmmmm. Something fishy here. That’s like the IT guy who just keeps telling you to reboot the device. I would call them back and ask for a different person.

Comment

• big_mack
            big_mack commented
            Editing a comment
            yes, that's what I was thinking. when you don't get what you're looking for via email, pickup the phone. But I wanted to get some feedback from the Pit to see if this is normal and expected or not.

Originally posted by DogFaced PonySoldier View Post
          It does seem odd to me.

Have you tried your Fireboard measuring temps across the grate? My Yoder has a yuge variance from top left rear to bottom front right and I've just learned to live with it - sometimes as much as 70-80ºF difference.
          I do get differences depending on probe location as expected. that is not the issue. the issue is the actual temp is way higher than the set temp when checked with the chimp probe and double checked with the fireboard in the same location.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            As I added above, what's the temp on the grate where the food is?

I have a Silverbac with the new controller. So I don’t really know what kind of help I can offer. I’ve also never put a probe in the cook chamber. I’m using it tonight so maybe I will if I remember.

Two dozen cooks? Ah no. That’s a ridiculous number. However going through two bags of pellets is easier than you might think. Especially if you’re doing longer cooks. What other temp spikes were you seeing?

Comment

• big_mack
            big_mack commented
            Editing a comment
            And was yours spot on right from day 1? They are saying I have to break mine in with 2 bags of pellets and then it will settle in.

• radiodome21
            radiodome21 commented
            Editing a comment
            The only temp related issue I had was with there food probe. It didn’t work at first. I did a butt overnight and when I checked on it in the morning it was at 130. Seemed odd and when I proved it with my thermapen it was at 180. In fact they replaced it because I said the probe was broken. But when I put I. One of my own probes it was the same issue. I contacted them and they had my put the probe in a cup of ice while plugged in to reset and problem.

• radiodome21
            radiodome21 commented
            Editing a comment
            Solved. But I never had issues with the probe in the chamber. In fact my loss of faith in the food probe prompted me to buy a Thermoworks Smoke X4 because all I had was a Thermoworks Dot, but I wanted something better.
            Last edited by radiodome21; June 9, 2022, 10:49 AM.

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post

THAT SAID... measure the temp inside at the grill where the food is. Is it possible that they do some math, knowing that the grill temp is X less than the probe temp (i.e. if the probe temp is always 60-70F higher than grill temp, you could have the controller know that and heat until the probe temp is 290F if the setting is 220F)

PS: Obviously, I'd look for any air leaks etc that could be the result of not tightening things up during assembly...
          I believe the temp difference at the food location was even higher. But I could misremember that from last night. I'll check that again today to make sure and to document it. And I don't think there are leaks. When the igniter lights up and it spews out white smoke at the start it comes out the vent and the grease drip exit. I'll have a closer look at that next time next time too.

Comment

klflowers has a Chimp. Maybe he can chime in here?

Comment

I've had my Chimp since January and it is the WiFi version. I rarely run a separate grate probe, but I have a few times for very long cooks (such as my brisket cook two weeks ago). My second probe is a Thermoworks Smoke.

I have only placed my secondary probe at grate level towards the back, but on the left side. So the tip of the Chimp's probe is obviously 4-5" above the grate. The two temps track fairly close, within 15-20 degrees.

Now, on Mode 1 (Pro) you will experience large temp swings. That is by design to get more smoke. Mode 2 (PID) will generally track a single temp very well, but often can take 30 minutes to settle in. It will vary a bit, but sorts itself out fairly quickly.

I know my Chimp struggles to keep a steady temp on PID mode if direct sun is shining on the lid and gets better when that isn't happening.

(Now the Chimp meat probe is not the best quality. I'm on my second one. It does not track my Thermoworks well at all, 20-50 degree difference. I no longer use it and use my Smoke's meat probe exclusively now.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_in_TX View Post
                I've had my Chimp since January and it is the WiFi version. I rarely run a separate grate probe, but I have a few times for very long cooks (such as my brisket cook two weeks ago). My second probe is a Thermoworks Smoke.

I have only placed my secondary probe at grate level towards the back, but on the left side. So the tip of the Chimp's probe is obviously 4-5" above the grate. The two temps track fairly close, within 15-20 degrees.

Now, on Mode 1 (Pro) you will experience large temp swings. That is by design to get more smoke. Mode 2 (PID) will generally track a single temp very well, but often can take 30 minutes to settle in. It will vary a bit, but sorts itself out fairly quickly.

I know my Chimp struggles to keep a steady temp on PID mode if direct sun is shining on the lid and gets better when that isn't happening.

(Now the Chimp meat probe is not the best quality. I'm on my second one. It does not track my Thermoworks well at all, 20-50 degree difference. I no longer use it and use my Smoke's meat probe exclusively now.)
                Mike. I believe Mode 1 is PID and no temp swings. Mode 2 is More swing, more Smoke. Thats what my manual says. If you are in the PID mode, does the internal chimp probe match your set temp on the controller (ignore the other probe thermoworks reading)? That is my problem. I set the cook temp at 220F but the actual temp as measured using the chimp probe that displays its reading on the controller display reads 290F. That is a big difference. My unit runs way hotter than the set temp.

Comment

Dont have a chimp but on my OG my thermoworks smoke and the built in probe run within 10 degrees of each other. It does sound a little funky that yours should be that far off. And that is REALLY annoying from GRILLA. Did not expect that kind of BS response from them.

Comment

• big_mack
                    big_mack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for that. I agree. I feel like they are trying to get rid of me. That is BS customer service to slough me off like that. And I bought a Silverbac the same day. Its a gift so have not fired it up yet. you'd think they wouldn't give me the middle finger like that.

My Silverbac runs 15ish degrees hotter than the set temp. I too have to adjust the feed rate occasionally in Mode 1. That's a given since you may use it in different weather extremes (which is why they have that adjustment in the first place). I don't know how I feel about "get a couple dozen cooks in", that seems a stretch to me too. I rationalize the temp variance as their probe is all the way over tight to the left side, so it's logically not feeling the heat of the center cookspace like our secondary thermometer probes are.

Lower your feed rate and use your probes to gauge your actual cook temp. After a few cooks the math will be automatic to you. For instance I set mine to 210ish when I'm shooting for 225. Mode 1, even though it's PID, is still not rock solid, don't expect rock solid temps.

Big picture is, tech faults aside, they are wonderful cookers.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                    My Silverbac runs 15ish degrees hotter than the set temp. I too have to adjust the feed rate occasionally in Mode 1. That's a given since you may use it in different weather extremes (which is why they have that adjustment in the first place). I don't know how I feel about "get a couple dozen cooks in", that seems a stretch to me too. I rationalize the temp variance as their probe is all the way over tight to the left side, so it's logically not feeling the heat of the center cookspace like our secondary thermometer probes are.

Lower your feed rate and use your probes to gauge your actual cook temp. After a few cooks the math will be automatic to you. For instance I set mine to 210ish when I'm shooting for 225. Mode 1, even though it's PID, is still not rock solid, don't expect rock solid temps.

Big picture is, tech faults aside, they are wonderful cookers.
                    The first cook lamb burgers were awesome so yes great cooker! And the materials and build are great.
                    15 degrees hotter? Probe location aside. are you saying your controller display of actual temp will read 15F higher than the set temp? I could live with that and work around it. But I'm setting it at 220F and getting actual of 290F. And I'm at the 5% feed rate which is quite a bit of a reduction and I can't really go any lower.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's quite the discrepancy. No, I'm roughly 15 or so degrees higher (on the center of the grate) than the set temp on the display. Roughly. Set it at 210, grate probe (my probe) might read ~225ish

On my Grid Iron you set at at 195-200 to run 225-230 (eventually) and 225 to run 275-ish. The temp probe is in the coolest section of smoker.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glad we're not alone

• RiverJeff
                      RiverJeff commented
                      Editing a comment
                      @JerodBroussard
                      Ok my Grid Iron was running about where yours is now running. Called Brent together we did 3 different heat levels when we where done calibrating my controller it might have at the most 10 degree different. He was trying to get down to with-in 5 degree difference. My measurements where taken 1 probe over the burn pot and the other at controller. Couldn't ask for any better.
                      Jeff

• Jerod Broussard
                      Jerod Broussard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      RiverJeff I've had mine over 4 years. Doubt I want to mess with it. I was hoping to increase capacity by next summer with another smoker purchase, instead I ordered a welding machine.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here