Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AlphaConnect Wireless Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AlphaConnect Wireless Failure

I'm getting ready to open a support case with Grilla about this, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar.

For a month my AlphaConnect performed flawlessly; however, it suddenly stopped being able to connect to my wireless network.

Here is what is really bizarre: When I run through the grill setup procedure in the iOS app, the app successfully transmits the wireless logon credentials over bluetooth to the Chimp. It even says it has connected successfully, but when I actually try to use the app to turn the grill on.....it can't connect. I've done this multiple times with the same effect.

Here are some additional troubleshooting steps I've taken:
    • Ensured that I am only connecting to the 2.4 GHz network. (I don't even think the Chimp can see the 5 GHz band.)
    • Tried connecting directly to my access point.
    • Tried connecting to my 2.4 GHz range extender.
    • Replaced my AP and router with a new ones (the old ones were getting close to end-of-life anyway.)
    • Verified that other devices (phones, tablets) can connect to the 2.4 GHz network from the Chimp's location.
    • Deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone.
    All other functionality of the AlphaConnect works fine. I can control the grill from the control panel just fine. It is just that after the initial connect, the app cannot talk to the Chimp.

It is the oddest thing. I'd feel better about declaring the AlphaConnect as the failed component if it didn't successfully do that initial setup. (Or maybe it isn't and the app is just reporting that it is; could be a legitimate bug.)

One thing I have not done (and really need to do before contacting Grilla) is verify that the MAC address of the Chimp is actually listed in the connected devices of my AP. But wow do I have a lot of wireless devices in this house lol....

Same thing here. This is the second time this has happened within the last 3 months. The first time it happened I removed the grill from my app and then started the set up over again as it was the first time. Not going to lie, it took about a dozen attempts for it to finally work and connect. My iPhone was up to date too and I was rejoining the same network it was on the first time. Worked fine until 2 weeks ago when I tried to turn on my grill while I was at my daughter's basketball game and same damn thing. Pretty annoying. Still not connected.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That is exactly what mine is doing. Worked perfectly, then, just stopped.

No issues here. I am on Android. Making me wonder if there is an IOS issue? I have had zero problems.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNorcross View Post
      No issues here. I am on Android. Making me wonder if there is an IOS issue? I have had zero problems.
      That is a very good suggestion. I went and found my old Android tablet and (after spending way too much time trying to figure out how to enable Bluetooth on it) gave it a try.

Same results and identical behavior on both the iOS and Android devices for me. This also suggests it is not related to any of the recent iOS 15.x updates we've had.

Comment

Got it! (I hope.)

There was one troubleshooting step I did not do and, in Grilla's defense, it actually is specified on their website's troubleshooting guide. I never unplugged the Chimp. So, I unplugged it and let it sit for thirty minutes. I plugged it back in, went through the grill-add procedure, and the app is now happily talking to the Chimp.

Curious.

This still does not explain why the problem happened in the first place, of course, but I am very happy to have my app back.

Comment

Nice. I’ll have to try that.

Comment

(And for trivia, the Chimp's network card is made by the Chinese firm ExpressIf and its MAC address starts with E8DB if you want to go looking for yours on your network.)

Comment

Update: the problem persists. In order for my app to talk to my AlphaConnect, I must unplug the Chimp for about two minutes and then plug it back in. (I no longer have to delete the grill from the app.) Also, during cooks over 90 minutes or so, the app loses the capability to talk to the grill. (What is really strange is that I do not get the expected "lost connection" errors. I can adjust the temperature, but the grill stays on the old temperature.)

I think the board may be going bad. (I can still control the grill just fine via the front panel.)

So I am going to open a case with Grilla and see what my options are. I have done all I can to rule out my own wireless setup. Still, usually when something fails like this it fails utterly. But the fact that I can "fix" it by unplugging and replugging the grill is telling.

Again, this worked flawlessly for a month, then consistently now has this problem.

Comment

(I know Grilla does firmware updates over-the-air so I wonder if a recent update to the AlphaConnect is an issue.)

Comment

I don't know anything about your Chimp or it's problems Michael_in_TX but those tacos in your avatar look killer. I'd sure like to troubleshoot those babies for you

Comment

I havent had any problems to date with the alpha set up on my OG. That aspect has been flawless.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here