Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big of a turkey can you fit on a Grilla OG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big of a turkey can you fit on a Grilla OG?

So my wife surprised me today with the idea that perhaps we could cook our bird this year on a smoker (thank you to Malcom Reed’s emails that enticed her). I’ve never been allowed to touch anything on thanksgiving so this is a big win.

Question to folks who’ve cooked a whole turkey on their OGs, what’s the biggest size you’ve done? We have a 15lb bird coming and trying to figure out if the OG can handle it or if we need to downsize.

thanks for all the help!

Can't help with the size thing but your wife made a great choice.
    It took me awhile to convince my wife to smoke a turkey now she insists on smoking the turkey.
    I use a combination of our fearless leaders, Meatheads and Malcom Reeds methods.

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
      Bad Hat BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Not saying it it why I got divorced 11 years ago; however, Turkeys are fried or spatchcocked on my Okie Joe sine 2011....cost of a lawyer expensive...cost of choosing how to cook a bird on T day without getting shot at...PRICELESS

I fit a 14 lb. spatchcocked turkey on my Weber kettle one Thanksgiving. I know the Grilla OG has almost the same size grate.

Comment

I have done an 18 pounder on my 18" wsm. You should be ok

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovin me th new avatar, there, Brother!!!

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones thanks my brother. Got your message, I’ll be getting back to you

On a side note. I still love oven roasted turkey so what I do now is split my turkey in half and roast half in the oven and smoke the other half. I’ve done that on the Weber Kettle the past few years but now with the Grilla OG in my arsenal, I’ll be smoking half of it on the OG this year.

Comment

You could email grilla and they should be able to get you an answer pretty fast.

Comment

I’m sure I’ll do my small 10 pounder on my OG
          i spatchcocked a 16 pounder on my old Weber genesis last year

Comment

Don't go too small
            don't want it from wall to wall
            may cause the grill to stall
            to say that is all.

Comment

Invite Panhead John over, weigh him and see if he fits, let us know…..

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                All I ask is PLEASE…..Do not spatchcock me!

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                Coldcocked will improve smokiness

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here