Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Davey Crockett up to temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davey Crockett up to temp

Well the temp fluctuations are a known issue here but I'm having trouble even getting it hot. I'm not familiar with any other pooper but GMG has a warm-up stage where you let it get to 150 then you set your cook temp. It's 47 here with mild wind but the grill is in my garage near the door to block wind. It takes forever just to get to 150 and good luck hitting 225.
    Firmware is updated, using the thermal cover and have the outdoor temp set to icy. Temp probe was scrubbed till shiny. Vent is open about half way. All ash was cleaned out yesterday. It seems to be acting correctly with the auger putting pellets in and the fan running almost nonstop to try to get there but it just can’t.
    I bought it from another guy who had it for less than a year and I only paid $100 so I’m not too bummed but it seems like getting to temp shouldn’t be this hard. If I just have to live with the fact that this is a summer cooker than so be it but hoping someone else has some other suggestion. Maybe a faulty part?
    Thanks in advance

Sure seems like something is amiss, it should really only take ~10 mins (if that) to hit 150, and another 5-10 to hit cooking temps. When you say "temp probe was scrubbed" are you verifying this with your own probe or just trusting the grill's readout? I'd get a second opinion in that regard and try your own probe if you have one, just to make sure. Also, have you called or emailed GMG? Even as a second owner you're still an owner and surely they'd be able to troubleshoot.

Comment

I meant that I polished all the soot and gunk off the probe so that shouldn’t interfere with the readout. I have checked the internal probe against my own and there is on average a 30-ish degree difference. But like you said I’ve used it in summer and the times you stated are pretty accurate. I haven’t emailed yet but figured I would test the pit first

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I got that you polished it, my question just wasn't worded right. I meant to ask if you were ONLY using the pit's probe...but you answered that one for me!

This happens many times when I fire up my Davy Crockett. I don't know why it does this, but I haven't really tried to "fix" something. Most of the time I just shut it down and then fire it back up a little later (sometimes after cleaning out the fire box), and it usually gets back to normal. A small number of times I've had to repeat this a second time before it reacted normally.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. That seems ridiculous that you’d have to do that. It’s such a small cubic footage you’d think it would be a lot easier to heat up. I’ve tried putting more pellets in the pot then starting it up and that kinda sometimes works. Just disappointing.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here