Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woodwind vs Vertical XXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodwind vs Vertical XXL

Hi all - debating whether to get a Woodwind 24 or Vertical Wifi XXL (recently updated with wifi and new controller I think?). Woodwind seems to provide a lot of versatility with sear box or sidekick, and capacity to reach a higher max temperature...and higher price and larger footprint. But purely from a smoking perspective - if I am going to be spending most of my time in the 225-275 range, any views which will do better?

Have done a lot of smoking on a MAK (different location) and love it, this needs to be a smaller investment.. Curious any direct comparisons between vertical cabinet-style and traditional grill-shaped pellet cookers. Or anything else I might not think of. I've tried cooking on an electric cabinet-style but never a pellet vertical.

I don't have any experience with the cabinet style pellet grills, but have followed some reviews by people that have tried them. People seem to like them when they work, but that's been the key so far. I think Camp Chef pretty much pulled the XXL from the market and did some reworking on it. The people I've followed with Pit Boss seem to like theirs, but that brand seems to have problems with the pellets getting wet very easily and having to clean out the entire hopper, auger, etc. frequently if not stored indoors.

In the end for straight up Low and Slow, I would think you're on point that the cabinet is more versatile, however as an overall cooking appliance the Woodwind will do more.

I know the above really isn't saying a whole lot. For me, if I wanted to do jerky, sausages, or 6-8 butts at a time and I was willing to risk that the product isn't proven, the XXL would probably be a better straight up smoker. I don't make jerky or sausages so I wanted to have more temperature versatility as well as the cabinets I looked at didn't appear like a packer brisket would fit in one piece. As well, I didn't want to keep mine in the garage.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here