Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Pellet Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef Pellet Smoker

Has anyone used a water pan when cooking ribs, brisket and etc. ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by ewald; May 27, 2020, 08:09 PM.

For most pellet cookers you really don't need a water pan. Pellets supposedly burn less dry than other fuels. I don't know if that's the reason or not, but I have yet to wrap a protein unless I needed to bump up the temp to finish faster. Haven't had a dry meat yet that wasn't my own fault (ignoring carry over or forgetting to monitor the temp). Some of the barrel shape supposedly cookers benefit from a waterpan to even out temps when doing things that need a spritz but I don't think the CC models are one of them, they're pretty small so probably recover temp quickly after opening the lid.

Comment

Never use a water pan in my Original Grilla (OG) ... bit I’ve been known to spritz with water every 30 minutes or so.

Comment

Wood has a certain amount of moisture in it so as the pellets burn the water is released. I have not checked the amount in wood pellets but normal wood contains 10-20 percent, depending where you live.

Comment

I use a water pan when I do brisket or pork shoulders. I don't have a specific reason, that's just how I do it. Since I have never done either without a water pan, I can't tell you if it makes a difference or not.

Comment

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind from a generation released 2 or more like 3 years ago. I have done several cooks to determine if a water pan makes a difference or not. I prefer running my pellet cooker without it for 2 main reasons.

1. I don’t taste nor see a difference in the finished products, from using or not using a water pan.
            2. The water pan itself occupies surface area, i.e. restricts grill space, which I prefer to fill with something to eat.

These units are well designed. I haven’t found cold spots, nor hot spots, that would be smoothed or balanced out with a water pan in the cooking chamber, nor found that added humidity will do something different to the cuts being smoked or cooked, as compared to going without it.

If there is a topic of divergence amongst BBQ pit masters, I would venture to say that using or not using a water pan is one of them.

When cooking with the KBQ, I use a water pan for ease of cleanup. Other than that, I don’t see the need nor any advantage of smoking with a water pan. That’s of course just my personal preference and opinion.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have never seen a pellet smoker recipe that specifically called for a water pan. That's good enough for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here