Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FIRST PELLET BRISKET HELP! Camp Chef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIRST PELLET BRISKET HELP! Camp Chef

So I broke down and bought a pellet smoker. I still love my WSM, and want to get to an offset, but the convenience of a pellet smoker was something I could not pass up for parties and stuff.

If anyone has used a Camp Chef smoker for a briskets, do you set the temp to High Smoke or 225 on the dial? Please let me know.

Thank you!

I use their smoke vault 24. Not a pellet fan. Wait, that's a lie, I use a smoke tube to cold smoke cheese with pellets...does that qualify as a pellet pooper? According to Mr. Bones it does.

Comment

High smoke settings on a pellet smoker is for low smoking of meats. You can use it as a starter to pump some smoke into your brisket but eventually you need to raise the temperature to get that sucker cooked. If you do decide to low smoke, don’t hesitate to crank that baby up to 275* afterwards. I do brisket on my pellet cooker at that temp regularly. Cuts down on the cook time.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Thought a couple of the brands do high smoke at like 250 I think? On mine, smoke = 160-180 depending on ambient. But I agree that for some reason 225 on the pellet cooker takes much longer to pass the stall than 225 on my gasser did (then again, it was a struggle to maintain 225 so it probably often hit 275 or higher which would explain things).

I use the traeger brisket recipe which is smoke setting (160-175F) x 6 hrs, then wrap in parchment paper and cook at 225F until it is >200 internal. The parchment paper is nice cause it lets a little moisture out so it’s not steamed. Trimmed packer briskets. Big bad beef rub. Start at midnight it’ll be done mid afternoon just put in cooler.
      My pellet brisket is WAAY better than my big green egg brisket.

Comment

I have a Yoder. I cook my brisket at 225. I tend to wrap with foil because my wife detests a dried out brisket including the flat. I think there is plenty of smoke flavor when cooking at that temp. I just did a 18 lb prime whole packer and had only a small amount of point left over (I squirreled it away while cutting the brisket for serving) which was then turned into delicious brisket tacos.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the same minus the wrap. Just let it cook naked (the brisket not me!)

• Texas Larry
          Texas Larry commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on my Yoder using ofelles method. Great results. Never dried out.

You can also put your brisket on before you even turn on your cooker. That startup smoke is not something you should waste. I always do that with the pellet cooker- meat on cold grates, then push the on button, let it heat up with the cooker. If you cook that low though (below 225, or especially below 200) for any real length of time, be sure to add 2 or 3 hours to the cook time or you won't be eating until 9pm. Ask me how I know. Also, a nice trick I use is placing some small chunks of wood under your drip tray on the diffuser that's over the burn pot. It will smolder and smoke giving you a little extra smoke & flavor.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          How do you know? 😃

• JMuseum
          JMuseum commented
          Editing a comment
          The diffuser pot trick is a great idea!

I use the high smoke setting when my cook is relative short, such as a Tri-tip. High smoke on a Camp Chef runs about 225. On mine, it runs at about 220. I cook brisket at 250, which is about 235 at the grate. Over a long cook my temperature creeps up to about 245 after 12 - 14 hours.

If you try to cook your brisket on high smoke for the entire cook, in my opinion you’re adding extra time to the cook while adding hardly any additional smoke flavor.

Comment

• LDimick
          LDimick commented
          Editing a comment
          You might very well be right. I noticed that when I did a brisket and a pork butt all the time on high smoke my time were 20% longer than what most people reported.

When I had a Camp Chef DLX (now have a MAK 2 Star), I did my briskets at 250*. Still got plenty of smoke flavor and the pellet pooper held the temp really well at that. As one of the others mentioned, High Smoke or 225* (about the same on the CC as far as actual temp hit), it makes for a very long cook with not much benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by JMuseum View Post
          So I broke down and bought a pellet smoker. I still love my WSM, and want to get to an offset, but the convenience of a pellet smoker was something I could not pass up for parties and stuff.

If anyone has used a Camp Chef smoker for a briskets, do you set the temp to High Smoke or 225 on the dial? Please let me know.

Thank you!
          I'm just a beginner here (11 month's & counting ), but have done 2 briskets so far. I followed the recipe guidelines and set my grill to High Smoke (220*F). I had no trouble getting either one of them to 203*F at that setting and they were both done in 6 to 7 hours. Both were done last summer when daytime temps were in the 80/90 degree range. It certainly wouldn't hurt a thing the run the grill at 225 or 250 this time of year and use a smoke tube for a little help on the smoke flavor. I use my smoke tube on every cook regardless of were I set the grill temp. That works for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here