Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Years and still going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Years and still going strong

So I have a Camp Chef pellet grill that I bought March 14, 2014... I just looked that up to see if it really was 10 years ago. After a couple of issues in the winter with it, I did a big clean today and test. To be honest with y'all, I was really hoping the test was not gonna go so good so that I could buy a new one with all those fancy digital gadgets and wifi and such. But it started right up and got up to temperature and held the temp as good as always.

I don't know whether to be proud of this long lasting SOB or mad that its the energizer bunny of pellet grills. Maybe next year I can get a new one.

(and to answer your question, sure I could just get a new one, but this thing has worked great for 10 years so no reason to get rid of it )

Just kick the thing to the curb and get your MCS on. Those new digikal thing-a-ma-bobs are just so much more fun. Think about how frustrated and pissed off you'll be when $400 worth of electronics go out on it. Why that may be just the thing to reduce your lifespan. On second thought, just keep the old rig going, it's like an old reliable dog, blessed is the one who earns his trust.

(BTW I like your shirt )

Comment

Sell it to offset the cost of the new one?

Comment

No keep it and report back in 5 years, Glad to hear the story, Pellet grill last 10 years and counting.

Comment

While I'm all for helping you spend your money, I would keep this rig because it's like an old refrigerator from the pre-computer electronic days that will probably last forever. That said, the MCS devil on my shoulder would have me say that I think you should consider adding a Kamado to your line-up. They would look really good together 👿.

Comment

I recommend keeping it but if you really must have a new one gift this one to a friend or relative in need. When I bought the new SnS-500 thermometer I gave my Maverick XR-50 thermometer to my friend's college sons along with a Weber I bought from Panhead John a couple of years ago - I provided a new Slow 'N Sear set up too. Those boys are now way ahead of where most of us were at that age in grilling and smoking (and general cooking) skills and their house was the 'official' hangout for all of their college friends, many of whom would just show up on the off chance that something was cooking on the Weber.

Comment

keep it and look for a new pellet grill!

Comment

The more gadgets the more to go wrong. And WIFI has its pros and cons. I prefer to sit out back monitoring my grill with a couple of cold ones over tending to other things and monitoring the cook on my cell phone.
                A friend has dial-a-temp entry-level Traeger for years and it is still going strong.
                I cooked pork ribs and spatch-cocked chicken with a friend's cheapest pit boss pellet grill--299 on sale. They turned out very good.
                Last edited by bbqLuv; March 28, 2024, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I bought my Camp Chef Pellet Grill in July, 2019. Looks like I have at least five years left - not sure if that is good or bad

I have the sidekick and a few extras for it like the BBQ grill box, Griddle, etc. Will probably go with another Camp Chef since I have a few attachments.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    New and improved does not imply old is bad.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here