Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Camp Chef smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Camp Chef smoker

So, I'm looking for my first pellet grill. I'm not putting my Weber Smokey Mountain out to pasture, but really want something quick to set up when I'm feeling a bit lazy. Happens to the best of us...

I also don't want to break the bank, gotta convince my better half that it is affordable. So, here is my question, I've been looking at the sub-$900 CC pellet grills. I've looked at the Smoke Pro DLX and the PG24MZG. Also, is the Sportsman's Wearhouse branded ones worth it.

I'm hoping you folks can help a guy out!

I had a DLX 24 and was very happy with it. I needed to run a smoke tube with wood chips to get the depth of smoke I wanted out of it, but that adds all of about 2 minuets to the start up time. This was also with the older generation controller, so you may not have that problem with a newer one. The 24" model ended up being a little too small for me, so I did end up upgrading to a LSG 20x36.

Comment

I can’t speak a CC specifically, but I will echo the comment above. Go bigger. You’ll be surprised how fast a few racks of ribs gobble up grate space.

Comment

Those all sound like really solid picks.

Comment

Since you cook on a WSM you must not need a large capacity. Take a good look a Grilla Chimp which is affordable, very good quality, and not huge. Mine does a great job holding temp and with decent smoke. Lots of stainless steel,too.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            If its the WSM 22, it would have a ton of capacity. And folk fit a surprising amount of stuff in the 18" WSM.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            JasonS +1 on the Chimp. I really like the little fella. I don't get too much smoke flavor, but the ease and convenience can't be beat. And the Grilla folks are top notch.

I would strongly recommend the Woodwind or the SG series, if you can swing the price difference. The extra headroom and better second shelves give a ton more usable space. I was amazed at how much more capacity the Woodwind had over the SmokePro both being 24” grills.

Comment

I’m a woodwind 24 owner and I love it as a smoker. It’s very accurate in bbq temps I find, which was the attribute I was looking for most. I wasted hundreds of dollars on all the accessories thinking it would be a replacement for my grill but I really haven’t used those at all. How many are you cooking for? I absolutely pack it (below) and feel good feedings 16 people. Click image for larger version

Name:	B2149B2A-BD65-4748-BF0D-DC24AE472B15.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1215771

Comment

JasonS I have the CC Woodwind SG36. It has been very good and I strongly recommend it. The controller works with 4 probes, I believe the DLX only has 2 probes. The 36" size comes with 4 wheels while the 24" size only has 2 wheels. Better racks and more rack space than the 24". If you are a veteran and can provide a copy of your DD214 to Camp Chef, they offer a 25% military discount on much of their product line. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about it.

Comment

• Sid P
                Sid P commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, kudos to Camp Chef for that great discount!

• JasonS
                JasonS commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't know they had a 25% discount. I might take a look at that and go the woodwind route.

• SmokingSteve
                SmokingSteve commented
                Editing a comment
                When i bought mine one year ago, the Woodwinds were not included in the 25% discount. CC recommended that I purchase the bare bones Woodwind, then add all the accessories i wanted as separate line items, which allowed me to get all my accessories at the 25% discount. The BBQ Grill Box, the Sidekick with included griddle, front shelf, cover. I also ordered 5 bags of pellets. All at 25% discount. Their customer service is the best I've seen!
                Their other model pellet grills get the 25% discount.
                Last edited by SmokingSteve; May 5, 2022, 01:59 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here