Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Problems (Woodwing Wifi 36)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef Problems (Woodwing Wifi 36)

I'm hoping someone will have some useful advice. First, the "High Smoke" option is allegedly 220 degrees whereas in truth its closer to 210. Wonky thermometers are par for the course in grilling so that's not so important as long as I know the difference. The real problem is the temp will start dropping for no apparent reason and is impossible to restore, just dropping continuously until the fatal "CMRSMOKE has extinguished" message. As I see it there are a couple possibilities: either there's too much ash in the burner or the gravity feed for the pellets doesn't work well when the hopper isn't almost full. Either way this is unacceptable. There's absolutely no way to cook all night, or unattended, without having a pretty good feeling that it'll turn itself off of its own accord. This has happened three times now, so it seems to be a bug that's a feature. In any event, I'm sorry I got the darn thing and advise people to stay away from Camp Chef pellet smokers.

Any ideas from members who are experienced Camp Chef users?

First, welcome to the pit.

I had a CampChef Woodwind and a SmokePro STX. I never had a flameout with either and used both for overnight cooks. I always top off the hopper of any pellet grill before going to bed if it’s running overnight. Even if that’s just a pound or two of pellets. ‘Smoke’ settings on many pellet grills are timed algorithms and generally not temperature based. The timings usually equate to a temp range that can change based upon weather and various pellets. If you’re worried about 10 degrees, you’re going to drive yourself bonkers. Put a thermometer in your oven and watch what it does.

I also never run smoke settings for extended periods of time, only for 1-3 hours. Then I switch to a temp driven setting. Timer driven settings are more susceptible to flameout and once it’s out, only a few pellet grills relight the fire.

With a Woodwind and the ash dump, you should be emptying the firepot before every cook, if you’re not already. It takes 5 seconds. If the fire is snuffing out partway through a cook that started clean, you need to try a different brand of pellets. You might have to take the internals (grates and drip tray) out of the grill to see exactly what happened if you cannot see a void in the hopper leading to an empty auger. If the firepot is overflowing with fresh pellets, the fire likely went out. If it’s empty, it stopped feeding for some reason.

Plenty of folks here will be happy to try to assist you if you gather and share more details. As well, CampChef should have a support number or email where they can provide you with some troubleshooting tips to get to the root of the problem.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Call Camp Chef, mine did that, they sent a new controller, works fine now

Comment

Greetings from NW Oregon.

Comment

I addition to calling Camp Chef, I would make sure the cap on the exhaust stack isn't set too low. This will restrict air flow and cause you all kinds of problems.

Comment

You have gotten great advice so far. I would surely call Camp Chef though. My experience is they have great support.

Keep us posted. Welcome from Virginia!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome and the good advice. I emailed Camp Chef and I'll give them a call in a couple days if I don't get a response.

Comment

While I'm here, is there recommended brand of pellet? I'm using Bear Mountain.

Comment

• glitchy
                    glitchy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Depending on what you figure out with CampChef, might be worth trying out another brand to make sure it’s not causing the problem. It’s more about finding the ones that work best in your smoker and fit your tastes and budget. Bear Mountain ‘should’ be fine. Some companies use bark in their pellets some don’t, some use more oak/alder base wood, etc. I don’t recall my Woodwind being picky at all, but I used mostly CookinPellets in it.

• willxfmr
                    willxfmr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have a DLX 24 and found that Lumberjack is the brand my unit likes best. YMMV

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here