Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heat Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat Insulation

Hi all -

I am designing an outdoor kitchen. I want to have the flexibility of not building in the grill, but I still want it to appear as though it is built in. I'm planning on using non-combustable RTF systems cabinets (made of Galvanized Steel). However, I would be using wood siding to match the deck, which is obviously combustable.

The grill pictured is on a movable cart that is kissing the non combustable material on the built in cabinet. However, I'm still concerned that this could be a problem, as the grill still touches some of the wood siding on the front. I noticed that the insulated grill jackets are made of stainless steel. Would putting an inch or two of stainless between the grill and the cabinet solve the problem? This is confusing to me because I know that metal is a heat conductor. Thanks!

Xander
    Attached Files

Well, if you need insulation then air is better. Or heat resistant insulation material. Like you say, metal conducts heat very well.

Comment

Hrmrik is correct air is used as the insulator. But there is more to it than that. You need to make the cabinet out of cement board and other non-combustibles. This means nothing that can burn between your grill and the cabinet and also the back wall. This should go up to the level of the grill. Check your local code for mounting a fire burning appliance. Or keep it simple and just pull your grill out a foot from the back and cabinet to be safe and put it back when it is cool.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here