Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to go down the rabbit hole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to go down the rabbit hole...

Evening!

I've been working with a designer mate of mine to develop a workable table design to hold a Large BGE or Kamado Joe, plus a Backwoods Smoker, plus leave room to store other items and potentially mount my little Weber BabyQ in the middle. This is the design we've come up with.

I've sought quotes and received a couple of prices i'm happy with, the one I'm looking strongest at isn't made with solid hardwood at all, but rather Marine A grade outdoor plywood which is water stable, treated with a hydrophobic coating for extra outdoor durability, and with solid macrocarpa (local name for Monterrey Cyprus which grows here like crazy) legs.

I'm flying a bit blind here as I've never done this before, so I'd welcome some input/feedback before I proceed.

Thanks!

That table sure looks good! Just make sure the wood is a little heat resistant, or leave an inch of space around the grills. Put something underneath the KJ/BGE also, like a flat concrete stone or something to avoid direct contact with the grill and wood.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately there may not be a marine/fire retardant plywood. FR generally makes plywood soft and spongy. I like the idea of building it out of metal.

Wood is for smoking Have the table made out of stainless steel. Easier to clean, no maintenance, last forever, and look smarter. And it won't risk a divorce......it will guarantee one!

Comment

Looks like a solid design. But one suggestion. Retractable wheels. You can get wheels designed for heavy stuff (mainly large power tools and workbenches) that can be attached. Then you can move it around if you want. If you don’t think you will ever neee to move it, then no big deal. But once assembled with the large BGE......you aren’t moving it. At all.

The table I made uses 4x4 legs (100x100mm). The plans you have call for 50x50. That will probably work, but for the long term (and considering the cost will be only SLIGHTLY more)....I would want 100x100 support legs. Then your dado cuts could be deeper.
      Last edited by SmokeyGator; July 11, 2018, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I would agree, heavy duty casters or wheels. Have two locking and two free swinging. If you ever have to move the beast you will need it !!

My only concern with the table is the area below the cabinet smoker. I cook with a Humphrey's cabinet and the area below the smoker is subject to a number of issues. Specifically, when checking/stirring charcoal or adding to the charcoal tray, the coals can fall through and cause a mess. Also, the grease from cooks if not captured properly in a pan can drip and cause a mess around the doors. The water pan usually slides in and out above the charcoal grate and can spill at times if not careful. Just my 2 cents!

Comment

My first thought, like most others, was heat absorption. You can put a 1/4" layer of 'low heat transfer coefficient' foam between the wood around the ovens and a surface of heat-reflecting thin metal alloy on top of that inexpensively, and keep the overall wood design. This won't add significant weight either. I am now thinking 1/4" spacers under the reflectors, screwed in place with wood screws, filled with foam.

I'd make sure the smoker sits on top of a removable drip tray. I'm not sure I'd want that tray to sit on wood - maybe a replaceable acrylic sheet?

...and I love the design - I see you've thought of bowing and put in a center support. Good luck figuring out the wheels!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here