Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help designing outdoor kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help designing outdoor kitchen

Hi all... I am hoping to tap into the collective hive mind and get some suggestions for building an outdoor kitchen. I'm building a new house, so I am starting with a fairly clean slate here. Here is some info on how/what I usually cook and that section of my plans, and then I'd love to get your feedback and thoughts

I live in MD, and grill/smoke season for me usually runs April to November (where else would I do my Thanksgiving turkey). I cook a fair bit, probably 4-5 nights a week, and during the summer, probably grill at least half of those. I also love smoking ribs, brisket and pork shoulder, but usually only 2 or 3 times a month. Family of 4, but have friends over on weekends reasonably often. Outdoor kitchen will be open on the sides, but with a roof, so I can cook without getting wet. It will be right outside the main kitchen so I can easily get back and forth.

Convenience is a factor, and currently use gas and a electric smoker (I know, I know, but that's what got me started and then I knew I was building the house so was saving up for that). I am completely set on going with a pellet smoker. All around it matches my cook style the best and if I want more intense smoke it seems there are plenty of simple ways to amp that up. I know that they don't sear as well, so I was going to add a sear burner/station or look into options in terms of grates/direct heat options. I definitely don't want a big green egg, a pizza oven or anything like that. n I dont have

I was mostly looking at the Memphis Grills because I want the drop in. I was originally looking at the Elite but then was thinking that if I didn't need the extra space and I didn't need the extra 50 degree range because I was doing a sear station, then why not just go with the Pro and save a good chunk of change? Any thoughts here? Any other suggestions for the main equipment? I've seen some custom kitchen jobs where they bring in a Fast Eddy Cookshack but I'm just going to have my builder do this, so seems like too much work.

In addition to the grill, I was going to add a sear station on one side and burner on the other. I don't do a lot of big crab boils or turkey frys, so was really thinking of something to do sauces and maybe a little more so more side burner than power burner. Some drawers and a place to store pellets.

A fridge and a sink (I don't need a massive cocktail station or huge coolers) and I'd like some counter space. Going to have the other side of the "L" have some stools on the other side maybe.

Anything I am missing? I attached the section of the plans with the area, the dimension of the "L" island are really just placeholder, but I am guessing I can go 10'x10'

Oh, and budget... clearly if I'm looking at Memphis I have a few $ to throw at this, but I'm also not looking to spend stupid money either. I really would like to keep it under 10k for all the appliances etc. and $7500 would be ideal

Click image for larger version  Name:	back yard plans.GIF Views:	1 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	479885

The biggest mistake I made with my outdoor kitchen was not leaving enough counter space on each side of the grille. If you can extend the counter to the wall I think you will be much happier with the final results.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Fuess View Post
      The biggest mistake I made with my outdoor kitchen was not leaving enough counter space on each side of the grille. If you can extend the counter to the wall I think you will be much happier with the final results.
      Thanks, that's a great suggestion and unless there is some sort of weird code requirement for it to be seperated I definitely will do that.

Comment

Agree about counter space. Next to that is that you want plenty of light, especially over the grill. I like bright lights with dimmers for when the space is being used for something other than cooking. But for cooking, bring the photons!

Comment

Originally posted by Baltassar View Post
          Agree about counter space. Next to that is that you want plenty of light, especially over the grill. I like bright lights with dimmers for when the space is being used for something other than cooking. But for cooking, bring the photons!
          yes! I've got six recessed cans in the kitchen section. Thinking that should be good.

Comment

This thread might be helpful, dcdivenut .
          The outdoor kitchen thread (post your cooking space!)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here