Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covered patio vs cookery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covered patio vs cookery

We want to grill under cover when it’s raining. What are the pros/cons things to consider hwhen planning a covered deck that will have a cook area in/near it? Most likely, this is for a ga ps grill rather than a smoker or egg.

how covered can the grill be vs getting rained on, etc?

not looking for the fancy outdoor,kitchen with the grill hood and all…. Just trying to stay dry while cooking.

I'm considering a Sunsetter awning as my PK 360, Weber gasser, and Masterbuilt smoker are all very close to my back door and sit on a cement pad. I need a non permanent solution (not a roof or solid pergola), to grilling in light rain! Anyone else out there had experience of cooking under an awning??

Comment

I built one like this, and it works pretty well.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	0DBBC3BA-001B-4CA5-954E-E8F229F767CD.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1251076

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
        WillTravelForFood commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems placed pretty far from the house, from the photo

WillTravelForFood My house was built in the 1950s, building a deck or patio close to the house would have been complicated and expensive. Mine isn’t very far from the house but isn’t as simple as walking out of the door.

Name:	B93D3DA5-C6D6-41C9-9309-85CE350CB77F.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1251112
      It is five steps from the back porch.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice job!

• WillTravelForFood
        Editing a comment
        that looks nicer than the demo photo shared earlier.

And definitely more convenient than that "dinner party in the middle of the yard" picture suggests

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a really fine installation! Anybody would be delighted to cook there, I know I would!

We had a cover built onto our existing patio that tied into the roof, such that it was open on just two sides. Where it tied into the roof was "vaulted" compared to where it was open, which meant the smoke rose and collected under the cover, which was naturally by the backdoor and where the attic vents were located. In retrospect, I would have had it designed so there was an air gap all the way around or had ventilation turbines installed (powered or wind) to help move the smoke out from under the cover..

Name:	Patio.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1251154
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tstalafuse; July 10, 2022, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I would love to see a pic.

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Pork Butt I added a picture to my original post. It is hard to get a good feel for the slope of the roof. It was about 8ft from where the picture is taken from and 12-14ft above the door where there are also 2 attic vents. The fans helped move the smoke, but it still tended to pile up against the door area..

• WillTravelForFood
        Editing a comment
        exactly the type of situation we would try to avoid. thx for the input

tstalafuse I am wondering if a fan like this blowing toward the cooker and outward would help with the smoke.

Name:	A85FC5C7-C071-4093-A63F-A5CAF7EABF05.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1251223

Comment

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Pork Butt We had a 18in on a stand that along with the ceiling fans helped, but it was still a problem. Since we moved, we don't have that problem anymore. It just never rains, so I don't need a patio cover..

I have a 10’ square market umbrella. They used to sell them at Sam’s. They come with the big base that you can fill with sand. That is somewhat portable but not stable in gusty winds, like when it rains here.

I did not need portability, so I removed the base and sunk a concrete bell footer into the ground and lead anchors to bolt it in good and tight. It rotates on its base and cantilevers out covering a 10x10 foot space. Covers both my PK charcoal and my stick burner.

Disclaimer - try this at your own risk. You must be mindful of how hot things get from your grill surface to the umbrella. A grease fire could be a disaster under a fabric umbrella. I keep a fire extinguisher at hand and keep my equipment clean 100% of the time. Also, you can raise the concrete post, and so raise the umbrella off the ground as high as is needed to be safe, and dry. 😎

Name:	C2C6A84E-693D-40CB-B00F-50C7655F08E8.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	1255630

Name:	7994DC99-C342-4F89-A613-B34C494C8CA6.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	1255631

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here