Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Other Than Canopies To Deal With Rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Else Other Than Canopies To Deal With Rain?

So, I saw the excellent canopy thread ongoing, but I do not have space to store it in my garage when not in use. What other approaches have you guys used to cook in the rain that would be space and cost efficient?

Have you considered a cantilever umbrella? Example: https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Hampto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, we just got one in April, and after 30 years of pole umbrellas I have no idea why we didn’t get one sooner. It has an 11’ span, closes up into the corner, and looks great. It also has solar LEDs for night use.

The brand I got, from Home Depot, has a lot of complaints about the string breaking. To offset (hehe) that, there are several videos on You Tube showing how to restring them with parachute cord. That’s a fair trade off, seeing as how the next price level is double ($400 to $800).

What does your cooking area look like? Small and tight, or open with plenty of area? Next to a building or wall or not?

Comment

You’d be surprised how small some of those canopies fold down to the accordion style 10x10” by 5’ on a wheeled case
      Our gazebo, toss the structure inside the canopy it’s 12x10x48
      Attached Files

Comment

I have canopies but most often just use an 11’ wide patio umbrella which I just move from cooker to cooker when needed. Light and much easier to setup than a canopy, and folds up small.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point this gazebo is hardly mobile

Could you put a permanent roof over your area?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170915_150033.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	873288

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Pork Butt 10' x 16'

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack Mine is 12’x8’. I wish my width was 10’ and my length was 14’, but if I hadn’t added cookers I would be just fine.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Pork Butt My cookers don't all fit. I have the pizza oven and kettles in a nearby area.

My cooking area is the end of my driveway. I pull the smoker out of the garage and viola!

Comment

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
          My cooking area is the end of my driveway. I pull the smoker out of the garage and viola!
          So what if you built or purchased a carport?

Name:	carport-16-ft-x-12-ft-canopy.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	873293

Comment

I built this, and while I do not primarily keep the cookers under it, it was not expensive. If you are against the house, a lean-to style roof with a bit of metal roofing would be super simple to build. This picture was on my phone, and was before I finished the electrical and hung the lights and ceiling fans, but gives you the general idea. It took me 3 Saturdays to complete, with some help from my son-in-law getting the rafters up there with us both on 8 foot ladders.

Name:	IMG_6551.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	873307

Comment

So, let's see if I have it right.

1. Less money than a canopy.

2. Less storage space than a canopy.

3. Set up in the driveway in front of the garage.

Okay, here's my suggestion.

Get a blue tarp, some rope, and a couple of poles set in an orange Home Depot bucket with concrete. Tie tarp to garage door, set up poles in driveway, tie other end of tarp to poles. Make sure poles are shorter than your garage door so rain sheets off into driveway.

Hopefully you don't have to deal with an HOA.....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll likely be doing something similar at my next home. I have solid concrete blocks for weight.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Take off all but one string from yer banjo, slip into yer biballs, light yer corn cob pipe, pour yourself a jar of pappy's corn sqeezins, pull up a milking stool and play us a toon!

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
            Have you considered a cantilever umbrella? Example: https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Hampto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	873338
            Last edited by Mosca; July 1, 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Lots of good ideas. It's really appreciated. I like the cantilever umbrella and tarp ideas guys. Thanks

Comment

I just get wet. As does my smoker.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m a wimp!

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LA Pork Butt me too, but cheap and lazy wins every time

• pjlstrat
                  pjlstrat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would be all for getting wet with my primo, but do not want the smobot controller or the thermoq to get wet.

I built rain shields onto my smokers (see avatar) that I can leave on all the time. Though I haven’t figure out how to make one big enough for the gravity 1050.

I used a water heater drain pan and bricks to make a cover for the PBC. (See post #9 https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ibration-tests)

Comment

I’m rebuilding my grill deck and will be installing an 8x8 shelter. The old cloth and steel grill shelter disintegrated. I some how got a heck of a deal when I ordered it 3 weeks ago for $1090 and free delivery. It comes with bug screens and it has optional Weather covers. It aluminum framed with galvanized roof. This company did an excellent job of packing the box on two wood pallets and wrapped in the clear packing wrap. No damage at all.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by GDavis; July 2, 2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you notice our bug screen is a bed sheet folded in half that also subs as a screen for watching Netflix after dark
                    Red Green patio idea's

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here