Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-maze-n Smoke Tube -- Worth the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-maze-n Smoke Tube -- Worth the money?

I use a Primo XL. I love it with one exception...I don't get consistent smoke.

Today I heard about a product called a smoke tube. Looking for any experiences or thoughts about it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dennis0220; May 15, 2020, 07:46 AM.

Yes!

Comment

Smoke level, taste, amount, whatever you want to call it is a subjective thing. Each person has their own "feeling" about it and you won't have anyway to know if their "too much/too little" has any comparison to your tastes. As a result you'll get responses on both sides as to the value of a smoke tube. They're cheap enough you should just get one. If it makes you happy it's a score. If it does nothing for you, you haven't lost much. It's that simple...………......….really.

Comment

Both the reviewers at Home Depot and Amazon rate them very highly. 4.5 and 4.8 respectively.

Comment

The tube works well ... but if you want to experiment with supplemental smoke before purchasing one, you could try foil pouches first.

Comment

My $0.02 is to get one. They work fine but if the original intent isn't working as you had hoped they work great for cold smoking things like cheese.

Comment

I have the tray shaped maze, not the tube. I've had trouble with the fire jumping the partitions in the maze so the whole thing starts burning or the pellets not staying lit. But when it works, it works really well.

If I was going to get an Amazen smoker again, I'd get the tube version instead.

+1 to Bighorn Dave's suggestion of getting one for cold smoking, if nothing else.

Comment

Thanks for the input...definitely not expensive and worth a try. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a gimmick.

Comment

Follow up question...I'm assuming you can use anyone's pellets, not just those sold by A-maze-n, Correct? (I don't plan to use sawdust.)

Comment

• MBMorgan
                    MBMorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Correct

Just don't use the pellets out of the bunny cage

Comment

Wait...hold on. You're using a Primo XL, which is a kamado, and you're not getting enough smoke? What fuel are you burning? Have you tried adding some chunks of wood? The tube is really designed for cold smoking, pellet grills and gassers that typically don't give off enough smokey flavor.

Comment

I agree that everyone has a different preference when it comes to smoke flavor. For me, pellets just don't do it. When I had pellet grills I also added smoke tubes and it still wasn't enough smoke flavor. Tons of smoke sure, but it's just the nature of pellets to give off a very mild flavor regardless of the volume of smoke.

If you do get one, I'd recommend one that has a hexagonal shape. That way you don't have to deal with it rolling around on you. Sure you can put the round one running parallel with the rungs of your grate. It's just nice to have the flexibility depending on how you need to arrange things from cook to cook. I've had both and they work the same way.

Comment

I have one and use it for eggs and cheese. For that purpose it great. I'll have to try it for more smoke flavor on my pellet grill.

Comment

I've tried using multiple tubes and got a bitter acrid flavor on some things. Mainly when trying to cold smoke, like I specifically remember doing some Cheese Its this way and they were horrible. Had to throw them away and haven't had the cojones to do it again.

Worked well on some steaks, though, but I think the key is not to do it for a real long time.

Comment

• Donw
                            Donw commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great to see you back. Actually thought about you and your colleagues out on the front lines. Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I have one, when I had only a gas grill, it was a good option. I would put it on one side of the grill and one of those metal boxes that you put wood chips in on the other. Made some decent ribs, brisket, and pulled pork lime that.

Any chips will work.

I agree with Troutman though, you should be able to do better with what you have.
                          Last edited by Murdy; May 15, 2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here