Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Accessory You've Purchased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst Accessory You've Purchased

With head held in shame, I admit I bought a Rib-O-Lator years ago.

We all have our secrets, what was yours?

A necktie.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Worse...I think I once spent like $70 for a silk necktie. O_o

• Rsheele
      Rsheele commented
      Editing a comment
      how about a leather necktie...cira 1988ish

My ex wife..... ok seriously let's see. Besides a treadmill I think a garlic press

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      You stole my thunder....

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Garlic presses can be a PIA is you get one that isn't well designed. I have one that works well and it gets a lot of use. Of course, I go through a few heads of garlic a week seeing as we cook a lot of asian, especially Korean.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bkhuna I generally buy a head or 2 of garlic every time I go to the store, whether I know I needed it or not.

The Weber Smoker box with a grate that replaces half the grate on my 2002 Weber Genesis Gas Grill.

Comment

Meater. Hands down...

Comment

• adamcoe
        adamcoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Other than the (unbelievable and borderline unforgivable) wait to get it, I've actually really enjoyed my Meater Block. I hate having a bunch of wires coming out of my grill and Meater fit the bill for any larger cuts. And I like having the graph in the app so I can look back after and see how consistent I kept the grill temp and whatnot. There's definitely some more things I'd like to see in the app (area for notes and whatnot) but overall, the actual functionality of it has been great.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        adamcoe - I so wanted to get rid of the wires too, but my probes just aren't accurate.

• adamcoe
        adamcoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh, I've had great luck with mine. Tested them against my semi-cheap 40 dollar wireless probe (it was an "Inkbird," not cheap but definitely not high end, I found it read consistently high), my Javelin and my Thermapen and the Meater was quite accurate. I've done 20+ cooks with ithem and the results have been spot on. The only thing I didn't like was that they're really too big for individual steaks unless they're huge. But for roasts/pork butts/etc they've been amazing.

I didn't technically "buy" this, but my in-laws gifted me a never used Williams Sonoma grill tool set when they downsized. Definitely well-made, but too heavy to be practical. I have pretty stout hands, wrists and forearms, but I can see myself dropping that stuff repeatedly unless I focus on gripping those polished rosewood handles.

Comment

• snowswamp
        snowswamp commented
        Editing a comment
        My parents buy me all kinds of useless gadgets. You’ve probably seen them at ARC or DAV thrift stores.

A beer can chicken holder... used it once, then found AR.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        The beer can chicken holder is great tool for smoking chickens (upright, of course). Just omit the beer can.

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        My dad is a Beer Can Chicken fan so they gave me a holder, never used it...It can't beat chicken on the PBC...

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll second that and add a wing/drumstick hanger.

Burger press for making stuffed burgers. Tried 2 or 3 different ones and they all sucked!!

Comment

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        Beat me to it. Even though it isn't the only regrettable purchase by far, somehow, it is the one that still stings.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s funny

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to like the one, I think it was Tupperware, where you pressed them into containers which then stacked and sealed and went into the freezer.

I bought 3 beer can chicken holders AND the burger stuffer years ago... Rod Fish TailsNC

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        On the plus side, I can say I sold that dadgum thing for $10 at a garage sale! (I would've taken $5)

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        Multiple beer can holders. Indon’t Do beer can chickens anymore.

• fkrall
        fkrall commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have paid $15

I’ve used it before, but almost never use it. An injector. Not that I’ll never use it, I just hardly find the use for it. Maybe I’ll get adventurous soon.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Same..., cheapo one, never opened, years old...

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually use my injector, mainly on turkey but I did some pork chops and they turned out fantastic. But it’s one of those things that I could do without though.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use mine to stuff olives with bleu cheese for Friday night martinis. Works great!

BBQ Dragon or a Butcher BBQ Injector.

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        "...I do like blowing air through bottom of my chimney. ..."

scottranda -- There's a funny reply to this somewhere, but I can't figure it out. FireMan -- help!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah yes...I HAD to have one of those! LOL
        It sorta works for bringing coals back from the dead in the WSCG...but perhaps that’s because of the limited airflow compared to more traditional grills. My other grills pretty much just roar until they burn themselves out...
        Still, it mostly just sits on the bottom shelf and only comes out "when company is over." LOL It does make for interesting convos.
        Not something I would purchase again...or recommend.

• TNPIGBBQ
        TNPIGBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife's old hairdryer was free...
        I should get a clamp for it and stick some flame stickers on it. Really trick that Conair out

Beer can chicken holder. I’m still not convinced the wooden grill scraper is all it’s cracked up to be.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Was gifted one of those one time...
        I agree with Steve R. and wasn’t willing to pointlessly scrape it down until it worked well.
        Tossing it into the fire pit was a better use for it IMO.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        RE: Wood grill scrapers
        But, there have been folks who got short pieces of metal wire brushes stuck in their esophagus, or pierced their small intestine, so.....there's that.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper Yes, I’ve heard that... Best advice then it seems, to me anyway, purchase a GOOD brush with the understanding that it’s disposable. I've yet to have a bush fail, not that it can’t happen...I also don’t let my grills get so dirty that a bristle could cling to it. They get cleaned after every cook...so it’s ready for the next one.

I've made a few "WTF was I thinking purchases" but the one I regret the most recently is grill grates. First off, they work amazing. The problem is I just got a random set instead of getting custom ones to replace my grates. So when not in use it's yet another thing I need to clean and store. I may sell them at some point or gift them to my sister up the road and then do it right by getting the cut for my grill size (but yes, we have an unused spiralizer, a burger stuffer that got used once because it's easier to do it by hand, a sushi bazooka that works great but only used 1 or 2 times a year, and other various as seen on tv doodads that either don't work or just aren't used)

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        The Sushi bazooka is just a thingy that compresses rice with your fish filling and lobs it in a tube on top of your seaweed paper for easy unskilled rolling. It works, and works well, but I think cooking good sushi rice and finding quality fish is MUCH harder than learning to roll sushi right so we rarely use the thing.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Sushi Bazooka and Chimney of Insanity are both up there for my favorite cooking gadget names. 😃

This thing.....

Supposedly good for making vertical poppers. Used it a couple of times and the same thing happens. Peppers get loose and fall through, or the heat burns the bottom of the pepper and all the cheese runs out. I do still use the coring tool so something was salvaged from this abortion.

Comment

• tmelosi
        tmelosi commented
        Editing a comment
        Same experience here, but the coring tool works great.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I almost forgot that one!

• Bobmcgahan
        Bobmcgahan commented
        Editing a comment
        You know, I think it works out ok. Better than the alternative which is just cooking them on the grill.

I found the A-Maz-N Tube smoker to be a worthless PITA. Mo's Smoking pouch, too. Dang near impossible to open it (it uses snaps) after a few uses. YMMV.

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Just curious Willy
        What were you using it on?
        Other than cheese, I would never attempt to "smoke" with it...but I’ve found it's useful to add to my father’s pellet grill (WAY too efficient to get decent smoke profile IMO0...or as Dewesq55 said, adding to a gasser, especially when using a rotisserie.

I’m curious why you found it worthless. The pouch thing I get...total PITA. And obviously it’s easy enough to make one’s own pouch out of foil...but then I need to do that EVERY time. Bleh

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a similar one and use it almost every cook on my pellet pooper. Personally, I love it.

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        surfdog I found it hard to keep the A-Maz-N tube lit and difficult to pack well enough to keep the pellets contained. I haven't tried it for cold smoking and I don't have a pellet pooper; I used it to add smoke while using my gasser. I just wasn't impressed at all. YMMV :«)

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here