Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor Prep Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Prep Station

I have wanted a stainless steel prep station for years and have never found one to my liking. I would like it to be the same height as my work surfaces on my Weber S470 with storage underneath that is fairly weather resistant, has wheels to roll around, and isn't thousands of dollars. Has anyone found something commercially available or built their own?

I, too, would be interested in something like this. The Pit Barrel is a little short on work space and my wife is not happy that I am using her patio table...

Comment

I would like the top to be 24" deep and 48" wide out of stainless steel to make cleanup easy. I would also like the cabinet underneath to be stainless with doors and adjustable shelving. I am just about convinced that I am going to have to build it myself. What are you thinking/dreaming about Fred?

Comment

I am not sure yet as I have not done a lot of looking to see what's out there. What you are describing sounds pretty darn nice, though. I would like it to have wheels so I could bring it inside, and having a nice spice rack on it would be awesome. That way I could mostly stay out of my wife's kitchen.

Comment

Good idea about the spice rack and what about a knife holder and paper towel holder. I am looking for something that is portable so it wouldn't have electricity or water to it although having a surge protector would be a good idea also.

Comment

Surge protector?!?! What would that be for without electricity going to it? Or are you talking about if you did hook it up?

I am also not interested in having electricity or water running to mine. A tools drawer (for knives, silverware, serving utensils, etc) and a paper towel holder would be good. Maybe like horizontal rods on the inside to hold paper towels, aluminum foil, saran wrap, etc? Also, a place to keep my pot holders would be great. A hole I could run my probes through would be good for those days with the elements to keep my thermometer safe. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Comment

I suppose this suggestion would be contingent upon your comfort level with metal work, but what about taking a simple non-enclosed prep table(amazon...fairly cheap) and enclosing the base? That would give you a good solid platform to start with anyway and the sides wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just something to keep out the elements.

-Joel

Comment

I have a nice stainless steel table made by Win-Holt. It's 30" x 60" with a back splash. 3 sides are support at about 18" off the ground with a 1" x 1" box beam welded to the round 2" legs. It's made with quality stainless steel since it doesn't corrode or rust. I don't cover it. It's at the same height as my grills. I have a L-shaped cook area... smoker and grill on one side and the table on the other leg. I have room to setup a folding table if I'm doing a big load *and* it's not to hot outside Spring, Fall and most of the winter I'll rest & cut the meat outside & serve on tables under the vine canopy. The table was a gift from my brother who worked at a grocery store and was getting rid of surplus from the butcher shop. I store spare gas bottles, some wood and a small gas smoker under the table... thinking about adding a cedar shelf on top of the box beam supports, but that project hasn't entered the Top 10 to do list yet

Comment

OK, here's what I am thinking (going all out, mind you) for what I would ideally want in a prep station (going to have to fabricate to get all this):

Tall as my grill top - 37.5", I think (have to measure to be sure)
                  Wide - 48"
                  Depth - 24"

Would need:

Wheels for portability in most terrain (for backyard rolling and competition if needed)
                  Enclosed area starting 6" up from the wheels to just below top drawer (approximately 24" height)

Front half 6" depth:
                  Spice rack
                  Horizontal paper towel holder x 3 (for aluminum foil and saran wrap as well)
                  Divider between the two areas

Back half 17" depth (give room for divder between front and back and sliding doors):
                  Adjustable shelving to run the entire length of cart
                  1/2" closable hole to run probes through on outside wall

Top drawer the size of the table about 6" deep
                  Hooks on the front for hanging utensils
                  Magnetic latching system for front doors
                  Sliding back doors
                  6 or so magnetized pouches of varying sizes

Would be made of stainless steel

Let me know if there is anything that anybody might add, I could always use some more ideas. I am seriously thinking about contacting a local metal shop to see how much it might cost to rig this up!

Comment

If you have the metal shop build it be prepared for some sticker shock. I am thinking of fabricating the frame and getting the sheet metal shop to cut the pieces and assemble myself. Of course if I had more disposable income than I do I could probably afford to just have it made.

Comment

I'm in the cheapskate line regarding this. I use an old patio table next to my smoker. My charcoal and some woods live under it, my old school green Coleman cooler lives on top covering the umbrella hole so my charcoal below doesn't get wet. It's 4x6' and perfect height!

Comment

I understand Aaron. Nothing wrong with being frugal and buying inexpensive equipment. What ever someone is happy with and it works for them I am happy for.

Comment

Originally posted by bocefuss View Post
                          I have a nice stainless steel table made by Win-Holt. It's 30" x 60" with a back splash. 3 sides are support at about 18" off the ground with a 1" x 1" box beam welded to the round 2" legs. It's made with quality stainless steel since it doesn't corrode or rust. I don't cover it. It's at the same height as my grills. I have a L-shaped cook area... smoker and grill on one side and the table on the other leg. I have room to setup a folding table if I'm doing a big load *and* it's not to hot outside Spring, Fall and most of the winter I'll rest & cut the meat outside & serve on tables under the vine canopy. The table was a gift from my brother who worked at a grocery store and was getting rid of surplus from the butcher shop. I store spare gas bottles, some wood and a small gas smoker under the table... thinking about adding a cedar shelf on top of the box beam supports, but that project hasn't entered the Top 10 to do list yet
                          Bo, can you take a pic and post it. It sure would help. I have thought about going to a Used restaurant equipment supply house and looking for something. I have to count my pennys and nickels so I can't just run out and by new all the time. Anyway a pic of your great sounding outside work station will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by fredcanfly View Post
                            Surge protector?!?! What would that be for without electricity going to it? Or are you talking about if you did hook it up?

I am also not interested in having electricity or water running to mine. A tools drawer (for knives, silverware, serving utensils, etc) and a paper towel holder would be good. Maybe like horizontal rods on the inside to hold paper towels, aluminum foil, saran wrap, etc? Also, a place to keep my pot holders would be great. A hole I could run my probes through would be good for those days with the elements to keep my thermometer safe. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

I sometimes fry seafood, fries, and hush puppies. I would prefer to do it outside so I would like to be able to have an extension cord running to a surge protector mounted on the cart to do that. There are other rather strong odoriferous dishes that I prepare and would rather do them outside also.

Comment

A back splash of at least 12" and some removable wind baffling also would be very useful some days. Your idea of a spice rack is a great one Fred.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here