Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-Maze-N Tube and A-Maze-N Pellet Smokers: Anybody use them in gas grills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-Maze-N Tube and A-Maze-N Pellet Smokers: Anybody use them in gas grills?

I'm still hoping to get a good gentle smoke on salmon in my Weber Summit-670 gas grill. The problem is of course that it leaks smoke like nobody's business. I've tried Mo's smoking pouches with some success but when I spotted the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker I thought that might be a way to get a lot of smoke in a short period if I lit it in 3 places, for example. I figure that with a ton of smoke, even if 80% of it drifts out all the openings in the gasser, there will still be enough that actually lands on the salmon to make a difference.

The Pellet version might be overkill--perhaps I would just need the Tube version instead.

Anyone had any luck with these in a gas-grill-turned-smoker situation?

And before you ask, I don't want to smoke salmon in my beloved PBC for two reasons. One, I think there may be way too much smoke for a salmon and b , I don't want to grease up the walls of my PBC with fish oil smell/flavor. My PBC is for carnivore (not piscivore) dishes only! Plus the gasser would be easier to clean down if its walls began to deliver an off-taste due to those fishy deposits that Meathead warns about.

Kathryn

If you're just smoking fish, a Lil Chief smoker is the ticket, for the price. They do their best work on fish, and I wouldn't be without mine, ever. The stores here in Alaska sell them by the truckload for this reason: we smoke a lot of fish!

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll go google the Lil Chief smoker right now. I don't smoke a lot of salmon, but DH and our girls love it whenever I do.

K.

ETA: did you mean the Smoke Chief--the dealie that attaches on to a grill from the outside? That just came up when I googled.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; January 31, 2015, 04:07 PM.

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I did not mean the Smoke Chief. I mean little chief smoker. I believe Luhr Jensen still produces it. It's a simple electric smoker. Now, they are front loading. They used to be top loading. You can find them on Amazon, and in many outdoor retail outlets. Many regard them with derision, but for just fish, they excel. I have smoked many, many pounds of salmon, trout, char, grayling, bass, you name it, and it always comes through. My maternal Grandfather taught me to smoke carp that will bring a tear to your eye with this simple smoker. If you save the box it comes in, it is the best cold smoker I have ever used for the price; especially for cheese, nuts, malted barley(I home brew too), and gravlax(which only takes 15 minutes). For fish, it's a classic for a reason.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Strat, for that info. It's probably overkill for the amount of fish that I smoke.

However, should I ever get serious about smoking a lot of fish (with nudges from my family to do so, most likely) I'll for sure look into that product. Simple, reliable, and with great results--who could argue with that? I bet a lot of our fellow Pitsters are googling that Little Chief smoker as I write this!

Thanks again,
      Kathryn

I've been using the tube smoker in my Jim Bowie & love it. A buddy uses it in his gas grill & also loves it. The beauty of the tube smoker is you can cold smoke. When I do salmon, I'll cold smoke for an hour then fire up the grill. The more smoke flavor you want, the longer the cold smoke. Do the same with bacon & ribs. We all know the 3-2-1 method for ribs, I've been using a 1-1-3-2-1. Cold smoke one hour, ribs naked, apply rub another hour, then carry on with the 3-2-1.
    Cheers
    Bill

Comment

Thanks, Bill, I really appreciate the info.

I'll never cold smoke, but if it is all right to use it in a grill that gets up to 240 deg F or so, then that's what I want to know. Sounds like it is. It's good to hear that you're so pleased with the product.

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn... Here's the little chief smoker. It really is a great little smoker if you want a fish only piece if equipment. http://www.amazon.com/Smokehouse-Pro...e+chief+smoker

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the link, Wartface. It's great that it works so well on fish. If it gets so that I start smoking fish more often than I currrently do, I'll definitely see about getting one.

Kathryn

• Max Good
          Max Good commented
          Editing a comment
          I reviewed the large Big Chief model: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...ectric-smokers

You can use the tube smoker at any temp. I use it on almost every cook with my pellet grill to augment the smoke. I'm sure it will do what your looking for.
        Cheers
        Bill

Comment

• tubitz
          tubitz commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Bill!
          When you put the tube in your pellet grill, do you put it next to the fire pot or just lay it on the grill?

I just bought one and layer it on the grill but it wouldn't stay lit.

Billy T

Great, Bill. That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

Kathryn

Comment

I like the Amazen Tube smoker. It's good for augmenting smoke on my pellet cooker, charcoal grills, and gasser. I think this would be a perfect accessory for your application.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Dave. I ordered one just now. I got the 12 inch A-maze-n Tube. The advantage for me is that I can put it right under the salmon instead of having a Mo's pouch over the burner farthest away from the salmon. Even with 1 burner going, the temp at the salmon is 240 in my gasser. This way I can have the smoke source closer to the fish.

Kathryn

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            You'll need a propane torch to light it, and make sure to light the pellets for the amount of time the instructions recommend. They pellets tend to snuff out if you don't (lesson learned there).

• coolfins
            coolfins commented
            Editing a comment
            You'll want to be careful putting the tube too close to the food, especially on a windy day. That's my one beef with it, the ashes blow all over the food. I thought I'd outsmart it by sitting it on tin foil, just snuffed it out. Apparently needs air low 360 deg. Other than that, you'll love it. ( I won't tell about my brainiac idea of putting it on the top shelf with a slab of bacon below!)
            Cheers
            Bill
            Last edited by coolfins; February 2, 2015, 04:26 PM.

Thanks, Dave and Bill. Good to know. Dave, I don't have a blow torch but have always wanted one, so will toss one in the cart on my next trip to Lowe's.

Bill, funny story about the bacon. Well, funny to me and not so funny to you. Smoking bacon is another thing on my "must smoke" list.

Kathryn

Comment

• coolfins
            coolfins commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya, I failed to see the humor at the time, but... I think it was the first time I used it (slight learning curve). I use the maple bacon recipe from this site. Try it, you'll never go back to the store, but you will end up buying a meat slicer
            Cheers
            Bill

I have an A maze n pellet... I like it. I haven't used it to cold smoke but gives good flavor by itself to fish and to poultry but not over burdening. I tend to like a very strong smoke flavor but wife and kids like lighter on the poultry and fish. As a bonus I use it in my smoker with the chips to give a super strong smke to beef and pork

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Dr, for the info. I was looking for lighter smoke too, just for fish. Otherwise I use my PBC.

I looked at the Pellet but went with the Tube. Customer service was really great. Sounds like they've got a good product line.

Kathryn

Kathryn, I have a Summit 470 and when I am finished cooking/smoking I just turn all the burners on high for about 5-10 min and it burns all the residue off everything. Then I turn it off and clean the grates with the wire brush and there is no flavor residue from the previous cook to taint the next cook.

Comment

Thanks, Barry, I agree. I do the exact same thing with my Summit 670 after every single cook.

What got me concerned was Meathead's comment in his salmon treatise about smokers that are used a lot for fish tend to have the fish oil/flavor deposited on the walls of the smoker. It's what's deposited on the walls that can apparently flavor meats in future smokes. Meathead recommends a dedicated smoker if a lot of fish is smoked, firing up the smoker (or gassers like we do), or scrubbing down the walls of the smoker used for fish.

Here's what he says: Fish oils get into everything

Fish oils permeate anything. They can get into the scale and greasy drippings built up inside your cooker. It is a good idea to give your smoker a thorough washing after smoking fish. Another technique is, after removing the fish, give 'er all she's got Scottie and get the inside rips snorting hot to burn off any of the oil buildup. If you do a lot of fish, it might be worthwhile having a separate smoker just for fish...

I chose to use my gasser for smoking salmon because I could fire it up hot after the smoke to hopefully rid the walls of the fish oil. I can't do that on my PBC whose temps do not get as high as my gasser's. That's why I don't want to smoke salmon in my PBC.

Kathryn

Comment

Kathryn I agree with you. Plus you're not supposed to clean the inside of the PBC (per the manufacturer) so better not to have any fish oil in there to begin with.

One or two cooks now and then won't matter, and lighter, flaky fish probably won't do much harm either.

Comment

If you go horizontal in the PBC wouldn't laying the fish on foil cut the potential of fishy contamination? I grill filets all the time in my BGE on a sheet of foil without stinking it up.

Comment

Hey Bill!
                  When you put the tube in your pellet grill, do you put it next to the fire pot or just lay it on the grill?

I just bought one and layer it on the grill but it wouldn't stay lit.

Billy T
                  Hi coolfins , I've got a friend thinking about buying an A-Maze-In tube for his pellet smoker, so tubitz (Billy T's) question today comes at just the perfect time for me (well, actually my pal) as well. I am going to lend him mine to see how it works for his setup.

Any advice you can give about where to place the tube in the pellet grill?

I know that David Parrish has recommended to use a blow torch to get the tube well lit before using it, otherwise it goes out. He uses one in his pellet cooker, charcoal grills, and gasser, he mentioned.

I haven't used mine yet on my gasser, but I did buy one of those little mini-blow torches to practice with.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here