Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally annoyed with plastic wrap serrated cutter for dispensing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally annoyed with plastic wrap serrated cutter for dispensing!

I don't know if this only bothers me but this was one of those small things that did and my solution.
    I buy Members Mark plastic wrap 18"x 3000'lg roll from Sam's club and get totally annoyed trying to cut it using the serrated edge on the dispenser with the wrap not cutting or tangling in a ball then trying to find the end stuck to the roll.
    Finally I decided to look for a better way and found some expensive dispensers and then Slide cutter replacements for the KenKut 3 that fit on the dispenser. I found vilili1980 on Ebay selling a 10 pc lot of the 18" ones for $15 + shipping and purchased them. Wow does this work great on the large dispenser, just set whats being wrapped next to the dispenser and stretch the film across then zip it. No tangled up wrap and the roll edge stays stuck to the slide cut so you don't have to find the edge again for the next pc.
    Best thing since sliced bread!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4329.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	430790The film stays stuck for the next piece
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4331.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	430789

Last edited by Powersmoke_80; December 29, 2017, 02:35 PM.

I’m measuring a GFS box RIGHT NOW!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got extras Lol

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll switch brands! I’ll buy two or three no doubt.

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Film width is 18" slide cut overall is 19.5", Members Mark box is 20"

I have two of these (one for foil and one for plastic wrap).

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link.

I'm on my second box of this brand, comes with slide cutter that outlasted the first box.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      johnec00, I seen that but kind of pricey. Sam"s Daily Chef brand is 3000' for $16.22 and the slides cost me two bucks a piece.

A nicer caliber of wrap might help. So sayeth Forkish.

Comment

Nothing frustrates me more than trying to handle plastic wrap! My KenKut came with one of those and I still struggle with it.
      But then again I have the left hand affliction

Comment

I often make the "they can put a man on the moon..." comparison when handling palstic wrap. It is terrible. The worst is buying the real cheap off brand box, the reason it's cheap is they cheapen the box & cutter. I stick with Saran or Glad to keep the frustration as low as possible.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, this wrap is not too bad , I've thrown others out before Lol. But the size of the box and the cheap cutter was defiantly frustrating.

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Don’t get me started on off-brand ziplock bags 😂

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          scottranda I wont do it , Had some cookies that came out of a dollar store plastic bag and never again. The plastic taste was overwhelming, so don't get me started.

I got so frustrated with what’s in the grocery stores that I bought three huge rolls from Costco — bonus, they each come with the cutter you bought!!! It works great!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          How much at Costco? I only get there a few times a year and had this from SAMs so never looked.

Powersmoke_80 , I
        think I paid $10 for these two:

Click image for larger version  Name:	8589EF71-FA9F-4EA4-BD59-2CF34E48C1F7.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	431192
        But I think a 3000ft roll was only $16.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, mine is 18" wide but will check next time I'm there.

I like t he film wrap and the cutters. However, the cardboard box the wrap comes in seems to breakdown long before the wrap runs out. Has anyone found a dispenser or a different solution to prolong the life of the cardboard box?

Comment

Well, I just liked a Dec 2017 post. Oh well. I've got to learn to go to the last post instead of clicking on the topic.

I still like that 2017 post, though, Powersmoke_80 .

I've been buying that Reynolds Wrap plastic wrap that comes with a slide cutter on the box. What a difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	843ac0cb-40bf-4b8a-8551-f3dd3a017cf7.9f978bc23d2129791075d2f068515b63.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	935058

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; November 7, 2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to worry, Kathryn. This was a good thread and worthy of being revived, IMHO. I appear to have missed it first time around.

David
            Last edited by Dewesq55; December 19, 2020, 07:38 AM.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            We buy the same ones, just so far the Great Value version. LOVE the slider, so nice! I lay it in front of what I want to cover, pull the sheet toward me, lay my end of it on the dish/brisket/whatever, slide, the far ends falls, done.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the Kirkland one posted above. I really like it, but as someone said, the cardboard box is starting to not hold up. There's a lot of film wrap in there and it lasts a very long time, giving the box more opportunity to break down.
            Last edited by Dewesq55; December 19, 2020, 07:39 AM.

Originally posted by DKlein View Post
          I like t he film wrap and the cutters. However, the cardboard box the wrap comes in seems to breakdown long before the wrap runs out. Has anyone found a dispenser or a different solution to prolong the life of the cardboard box?
          I have so much duct tape on the outside of my Kirkland box, I hate it. Seems like I always have to reinforce these dog gone boxes all of the time.

Comment

That’s my go to solution, packing tape or duct tape. It’s not pretty but it’s effective. Can’t believe someone hasn’t come out with a reasonable solution.

Comment

I could reach the top shelf standing on balls of plastic wrap that I didn't cut cleanly until I discovered what works for me. Brand name only. Pull desired quantity out, maintaining gentle tension. Twist the box to the left so the cuter is angled at 45 degrees or so and the cardboard above the cutter is positioned away from the wrap. Pull down sharply on the wrap as you pull up gently on the box and it should cut cleanly. If it doesn't, have your spouse do it.

Comment

My son-in-law calls plastic wrap the spawn of the devil, he hates it so much. He can never get a clean cut no matter how many times I show him.

With the Reynolds Wrap with cutter that I mentioned earlier, he does pretty well. I don't get the big rolls from Sam's Club because I don't want to give it so much real estate in my kitchen or pantry. The Reynolds Wrap with Cutter fits nicely in a kitchen drawer, out of sight.

Kathryn

Comment

• fkrall
                  fkrall commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Share your big rolls comment, but every time I see a chef slap-cut wrap from a food service box and wrap a sheet pan in one easy motion....

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here