Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for buying a leave in thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for buying a leave in thermometer

I am looking to give a leave in thermometer to a budding smoker for Christmas.

I have a Maverick 733. Conceptually, this is great, but I have become extremely unhappy with their lack of quality, and won't give a gift of inferior quality.
    Any suggestions for a good alternative? It needs to have at least 2 probes, preferably 4, and transmit to a remote receiver (not a great distance). Probe cables longer than 3 feet also needed. The recipient does not have an iPhone, but rather a droid. Transmission to a phone is not required; I just threw it for complete disclosure. Ability to set alarms a BIG plus.

TIA
    Last edited by richinlbrg; November 27, 2015, 09:31 AM.

Can't really go wrong with Thermoworks. Saying that, I am very happy with my maverick. I actually have two of them.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Dr ROK . As soon as I find a good reliable replacement my Mav is going to the trash.
      Last edited by richinlbrg; November 27, 2015, 11:03 AM.

Thermoworks ThermaQ handheld.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 27, 2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

There is a newgadget coming soonn called MEATER. They had a KICKSTARTER project where they presold over a million dollars worth of product in September. I bought their 4 probe unit for $159.00. Shipment is to be in January. This is a wireless probe working on your smart phone. I hope it works.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        And they have a MEATER Holiday Card for gift giving since they won't be available till Jan.

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Pig Grinder , as I understand this, it will work on either iPhone or Droid? iPad?
        Do you know how close the block has to be to the probes?
        There is a lot of info they need to make clear, IMHO, including pricing.

I've had A maverick for many many years and it serve me well but the last one I bought for my work I've not been as impressed with. they seem to be the best option but I do not overly impressed with the quality, I've yet to find a good alternative. I like Thermoworks products but as far as I know they don't make one that's remote. If someone knows of a better remote thermometer than the Maverick I sure would like to know

Comment

• w0nq
        w0nq commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked at the igrill2 , I understand it comes with 2 probes but can run up to 4. I'm doubting the bluetooth would give me the penetration into the house though.
        Maybe someone who uses one will jump in.

My Maverick 733 barely makes it through sometimes (I set the remote in a window so I can at least hear the alarm) works well

• Fine Swine
        Fine Swine commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the igrill2. i might lose signal once and awhile, but it reconnects enough where i don't miss anything. Most of the time i am within 90ft. And I like the app on the iphone...you can see the graphs of the pit temp...

• Moscuba
        Moscuba commented
        Editing a comment
        I too use the iGrill (the old original) and found it to be quite accurate including the ambient probe. I love the graphs and the ability to download the data. Bluetooth is an issue in the house so i leave my phone on the counter when I'm moving far away. It reconnects OK. It saved me from a fire once. The thermostat on my pellet smoker has a short and the feeder did not stop. Without a direct link to seeing what was going on and the alarm I would have had a mess. I love Thermo Works tools but have not used their wireless.

Not impressed with the Maverick. Have had probe problems. Yes I kept them dry etc. etc. Then the remote quit recieving. Then the on/off switch died. At least it died in the on position so I can take the back off (damned little screws!) and remove battery to turn it off. Guess I'll need to part with some $$$ & get the Thermoworks set. That's what I would go with for a gift if I felt the recipient was worth the investment.

Comment

My Maverick 732 has been rockin' for over 2.5 years. Just got 2 hybrid probes a couple months ago. Only had one probe go out on its own. I jacked one up myself.

Comment

I'm sad to see folks hating on the Maverick. I do understand though that some units might be lemons, as with anything you buy. But many competition teams use them when there's big money at stake, by and large they're solid dependable units. Like Jerod, I've had great luck with mine. I have one that's 3.5 yrs old, and my newest one is close to a year old. They're all I use. Probes are their weak point though, but baking them at 350-400 for an hour or three helps bring them back to life.

ThermoWorks products are the Ferrari of thermometers. If only they made a wireless two+ probe unit like the Maverick Redi-Chek...

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee , I had no idea that there was any pent up frustration, and still doesn't seem to that much.........so far. Thought I'd be the proverbial odd man out.

But if Mav is getting sloppy, somebody will step in with a better product and take care of the market that Mav gave up on. Simple timing problem.

• w0nq
            w0nq commented
            Editing a comment
            Every product ( mostly ) has inherent deficiencies. I see it as the 732 for $55-60.00 or the 733 for about $10.00 more, do give good value for what you're investing in them. They do the job and generally do it well. If a probe takes a dump, it happens & you get a new probe.
            I own one of each and they work for me. I have had one I returned (733) because out of the gate, it gave me fits. I have replaced one probe that came with my 732, but likely because of user carelessness.
            I have to be a little forgiving because it is my choice to not spend the bucks on a Thermoworks bluetooth. Mostly because the range the Mav's give from good old RF signals whip the drawers off any bluetooth range that's out there.
            I'm not going to spend the money for a Stoker or Guru wi-fi anytime soon so my home network can provide adequate distance for monitoring so.....
            Maverick wins!
            You have to expect a $60.00 dual probe to perform just as that. It is what it is.

If you have Champagne taste & you're on a beer budget, you may be disappointed.

For me....I'm good with another beer!

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            I understand your perspective, @w0ng , and we are mostly in agreement. I'm not soo much ticked off at the failure of the heavily used probe, but REALLY ticked off at the two out of box failures. Then the known, but u addressed weakness and voila, I'm done with them.

I got to go with A-Ron and the rest of the Mac fans on this. I have bought other high end remotes and have discarded them. Gone back to Mavericks

I have had probe issues. A new out of the package one was bad yesterday. It happens. That why I have spares.

A thermometer is arguably the single most important accessory and until ThermoWorks makes a remote these are darn hard to beat. IMHO

This is a shot from yesterday (only 90° angular off). This doesn't help Rich find an answer I know but its not often I get to run 4 at once so I took a pic. Hummmm maybe I need a few more this year just in case. : )

Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 27, 2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Ivation is a Maverick that has been re-branded.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought the Ivation when David Parrish found a great deal for us last year. One probe died a couple of months ago. The Maverick 732 is still perking along though. I use the one good probe on the Ivation to monitor smoker temp along with the Mav's smoker probe (I like to watch the temp difference across my PBC, just for grins 'n giggles) and put the Mav's meat probe in the meat where it belongs.

Huskee , I'm going to try baking that bad Ivation probe. Maybe it will come back to life. Thanks for the tip.

I have a SITB (still in the box) Mav 733, bought back when my smoker was in a more inaccessible location (signalwise). Then I moved my smoker and the 732 did just fine. So the 733 is still waiting patiently on the bench, wanting to get in the game.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; November 28, 2015, 07:17 AM.

Ayer more years than I care to remember, I find myself using "Leave In" thermometers less and less. Instead I use my ThermoWorks Thermapen. This unit is very well made, solid, gives really good readings, and acts as a probe that I can use to assess the progress of the cook.

I haven't been impressed with a Maverick in about 3-4 years. They've cheapened their product, or so it seems to me.

I like ThermoWorks a lot. It isn't inexpensive, but it works and works very well. You really can't do much better than ThermoWorks.

Comment

Well I am going to chime in on the Maveriks and the poor quality, I have had one for about 2 years and have gone through about 4 probes and now the thing just seems dead and won't respond, batteries changed and still the same thing. I will not invest in another one. I just wish someone would come up with a reliable unit that will last a lot longer. Thermoworks are you listening!

Comment

There is no other option right now. As soon as Thernoworks make a remote dual with K probes I'll buy em : )

Comment

Anybody know if there are other compatable probes which might be more reliable?

Comment

richinlbrg , I've looked I can't find any. If you don't need remote read look at these:

Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, Jon Solberg, but I really want remote! Wishing Thermoworks had remote - I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know what you mean, I ya just gotta have the remote.

I agree on having the remote as richinlbrg and Jon Solberg say. For me, a Thermapen works great for the meat itself, but monitoring the smoker's temp is one of the contributors to having consistent cooks on my PBC. I couldn't smoke (happily, at least) if I didn't have a remote readout of smoker temperatures. Having a remote meat probe helps me dial in on the final temp. When it gets close to done, I start checking with my Thermapen, taking several readings throughout the meat instead of just trusting the one point from the Mav's meat probe.

Kathryn

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We are of like technique, Kathryn.
                    I am down to one working probe. Kept it monitoring the grate temp until I hit the stall in yesterday's chuckie, then used it in the chuckie until done.
                    Not a happy camper with this set up! I try not to open the kettle lid when using the SnS as it takes a bit of time for the kettle temp to settle back into the desired range after the coals get that blast of air from the lid opening.

• vandy
                    vandy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do the same thing with my Thermoworks with the probe to monitor the smoker temp then check the meat temp with my Thermapen. I just wish the Thermoworks with the K probes was remote capable so I could monitor the temps from inside the house.
                    Last edited by vandy; November 28, 2015, 12:22 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here