Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proud owner of new chest freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud owner of new chest freezer

With my ever-expanding adventures in outdoor cooking, we have rapidly run out of freezer space even though we have two smaller fridges in the kitchen & laundry area. (We make lots of leftoverable stuff.) Planning out a cook had gotten to be a choreographed process with other meal decisions having to be made in parallel to free up freezer space at the relevant time... doable, but a bit of a chore.

So I got me a simple 7 cubic foot chestie and a Temp Stick sensor. Weirdly, I have never felt more excited about getting so basic an appliance in my life. But now I'll have all the flexibility, yippee! Got down to below 0 F in less than three hours once I turned it on. Time to fill that baby with meat!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DaveD; November 14, 2021, 03:19 PM.

Love a chest freezer, was wondering why my back hasn't been that great, no chest freezer in almost 3 years, ain't gettin' the exercise.

Comment

I finally bought one about a year and a half ago. It hasn’t saved any space in the house because it keeps getting refilled.

Comment

Invaluable for storing huge briskets!

Comment

What’s something like that go for? I definitely need one.

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            $200 at Lowes for me

• BBQPhil
            BBQPhil commented
            Editing a comment
            $129 at Costco

Originally posted by Sid P View Post
          What’s something like that go for? I definitely need one.
          This one was $399 from Amazon, and their 5 cu. ft. model ($299) came out as Editor's Choice in Popular Mechanics. They indicated the 7 cu. ft. model is every bit as good. Pretty reputable recommendation I reckon Plus, because we live near a major Amazon distro center, I got it overnight with free shipping. Did not suck.

Dimensions: 32" wide, 33" tall, 22.5" back to front.
          Last edited by DaveD; November 14, 2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

That is really affordable for the freedom it gives. I'm also reaching the limit of my indoor freezer....and juggling meal planning with freezer volume is annoying. Plus, I'd like to buy and freeze more meat on sale (i.e. normal price, lol).

Comment

So, so tempting. Midea is the brand of my home office window AC unit. It's been solid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 4.11.10 PM.png
Views:	180
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1126043

Comment

• DaveD
                DaveD commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the one! It's behaving exactly as it should thus far, holding a few degrees below 0F.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6385046 too

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 2.17.22 PM.png
Views:	177
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1126047

Comment

And, if you opt for the 7.0 cu ft version instead of the 7 cu ft version, you get $10 off! (What....is going on.....)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 4.53.02 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	157.0 KB ID:	1126066

Comment

So in my fading memory...........are these chest freezers self defrosting? I know the one I grew up with wasn't.

Comment

They call it a chest freezer because when they fail and you lose all your meat you feel like you’re having a heart attack. It happened to me a couple of weeks ago. ThermoWorks sells a $19 (RT801) freezer alarm that will warn you and save your pork butt. When the grieving subsides I’ll probably get another freezer.

Comment

One feature of the Midea we got is that the lid will stay up, the hinge is designed with "stops" at about 75 & 90 degrees. That's definitely worth something...!

Comment

• DaveD
                        DaveD commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The Temp Stick sensor sits in the freezer, and if I were to leave the lid open, it would send me an email and a text once the T breaches 5F, so I shouldn't have that particular problem...!

• tbob4
                        tbob4 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is a really nice feature!!!

• DaveD
                        DaveD commented
                        Editing a comment
                        To be clear, the Temp Stick is its own device, not part of the freezer. It can be used anywhere you need T and relative humidity monitoring. VERY nice gadget.

Welcome to the adventure. I also started with one. Now have 2 chest freezers, an upright and an extra fridge

Comment

Hey, one last update here. I got some shelves installed on the wall above the chest freezer and can now store all my cooking accessories & supplies in one spot instead of everything being down in the basement. One less set of stairs to have to go up and down X number of times on cook day...! These are Fleximount shelves, and they definitely live up to their claim of being easy for one person to install. Nice design and everything literally clicked into place. In these dark days, getting this done has had a surprisingly beneficial effect on the ol' mindset.

Brackets onto the studs:

Name:	20211123_143018.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1131598

Assembled:

Name:	20211123_145852.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1131599

Load 'em up:

Name:	20211123_152231.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1131597

Bonus: frees up all this space along the wall of the garage, making it much easier for my lovely wife to get in and out of the passenger side. Brownie points for sure.

Name:	20211123_152305.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1131596

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So YOU'RE buying up all the toilet paper!

• DaveD
                          DaveD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          In my defense, that was the normal level of stock on hand before the pandemic! I inherited from my father (among many, many other things) the "stay stocked up" mindset (my folks were born in 1919 & 1922 and grew up during the Great Depression). We always have backup of everything. (And half of that stack is paper towels... )

• tbob4
                          tbob4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Huskee - you made me laugh. When the hoarding started, I waited in line like everyone else at COSTCO and finally received my issue. My wife does NOT like storing things. A couple of weeks ago we were in COSTCO and they had the Charmin in. Despite still having a 1/2 pack at home, she bought more "just in case". Because of it, I was allowed to buy another pork belly "just because the price of bacon is going up" What a win!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here