Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unscented Clay Kitty Litter - Is It Food Safe When Warm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question. Of course, some kitty litter is made from plastic, the same chemical used in baby diapers to absorb pee. Or produced from wood shavings. These should be avoided like the plague. What about clay-based litter? Well, clays are natural products and some contain low levels of toxic metals like lead or arsenic. More likely, silica powders which will cause lung disease if inhaled. And other additives to prevent clumping, mask odor, etc.

On an absolute scale, how dangerous is kitty litter in a smoker? Much lower than breathing wood smoke, which carries the same risk as cigarettes. I'd prefer a bed of ashes or sand, but probably ok. Seems like a lot of trouble, though.

Comment

Originally posted by docblonder View Post
      Good question. Of course, some kitty litter is made from plastic, the same chemical used in baby diapers to absorb pee. Or produced from wood shavings. These should be avoided like the plague. What about clay-based litter? Well, clays are natural products and some contain low levels of toxic metals like lead or arsenic. More likely, silica powders which will cause lung disease if inhaled. And other additives to prevent clumping, mask odor, etc.

On an absolute scale, how dangerous is kitty litter in a smoker? Much lower than breathing wood smoke, which carries the same risk as cigarettes. I'd prefer a bed of ashes or sand, but probably ok. Seems like a lot of trouble, though.
      Thank you so much for sharing your expert perspective! It does seem like a lot of trouble. Even if I put clay kitty litter or sand in the bottom of the barrel, it doesn’t seem like it would be very easy to remove. I’m leaning toward the aluminum foil route.

I still can’t figure out how the grease can get by the heat deflector and hot coals. Maybe it’s getting vaporized and ends up dripping down the sides.

Comment

I use two layers of heavy duty foil, fitted to match the bottom exactly. To make the fit relatively exact, I make an impression of the inner edge of the lid onto the foil and fold the edges into shape--works great. Then I place it at the bottom of the barrel and use that hoe-shaped BBQ tool, whatever it's called, to smooth it into place. I don't want it to interfere with the air flow under the basket.

Then I place the filled basket in the barrel and continue with setting up the cook.

The next day, when all the coals and ash are cold, I remove the basket and carefully fold up the foil, encasing all of the mess inside. Toss it into a trashbag and cleanup is finished.

It's important to use 2 layers of Heavy Duty aluminum foil, I've found.

I tried PBC's ash catcher but it only made the mess worse. The fat would seep through the ashes to the underside of the ash catcher, so I'd have to clean both the ash catcher and the bottom of the barrel. So I just went back to using the double layered heavy duty aluminum foil method.

I'm not sure why you'd want to cut a hole in the center of the foil, but then I use a PBC and am not familiar with all barrel cooker designs.

Kathryn

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I (accidentially) found a pizza pan that fits the bottom of mine very well. Makes for easier cleanup and I think it protects the bottom from rusting out from causticness of charcoal ash.

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          The air intake is center bottom on the Bronco (similar to Hunsaker drum) so that hole accommodates.

Buy some cheapo BBQ pellets from a big box store! They are food safe and generally can be added to mulch a flower bed. That's what I use in my drum.

Comment

Kitty Litter is Bentonite clay. Bentonite is often used as a fining agent in commercial brewing - wine and mead as well as some beers. I would look for food grade or brewers (LD Carlson probably) to make sure no impurities but would think it should be ok to absorb liquids. Read the MSDS.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
            I use two layers of heavy duty foil, fitted to match the bottom exactly. To make the fit relatively exact, I make an impression of the inner edge of the lid onto the foil and fold the edges into shape--works great. Then I place it at the bottom of the barrel and use that hoe-shaped BBQ tool, whatever it's called, to smooth it into place. I don't want it to interfere with the air flow under the basket.

Then I place the filled basket in the barrel and continue with setting up the cook.

The next day, when all the coals and ash are cold, I remove the basket and carefully fold up the foil, encasing all of the mess inside. Toss it into a trashbag and cleanup is finished.

It's important to use 2 layers of Heavy Duty aluminum foil, I've found.

I tried PBC's ash catcher but it only made the mess worse. The fat would seep through the ashes to the underside of the ash catcher, so I'd have to clean both the ash catcher and the bottom of the barrel. So I just went back to using the double layered heavy duty aluminum foil method.

I'm not sure why you'd want to cut a hole in the center of the foil, but then I use a PBC and am not familiar with all barrel cooker designs.

Kathryn
            Excellent suggestions!

Comment

Bentonite can be safe, but pricey. Sometimes impure batches slip through the system. Also see this warning from WebMD https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...y-benefits#2-7

I tend to go the foil route. Easier cleanup than wood pellets or shavings. But at least you can compost the greasy shavings, and not waste the foil....

Bentonite Clay Risks

Bentonite clay is generally OK to use on your skin and hair. But the FDA doesn’t regulate health and cosmetic products, so there’s no way to know exactly what’s in them or if they’ll work. If you want to try it, test a little bit of the clay on your skin first to make sure you don’t have a bad reaction.

Doctors don’t recommend eating clay. It could cause a blockage in your intestines. And it can affect how you absorb nutrients and electrolytes. Plus, clay or soil can have high levels of harmful germs and heavy metals like lead, arsenic, and mercury. The FDA has warned against using at least two brands of bentonite clay supplement found to contain lead.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco base pan 01.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1123710 Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco base pan 02.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1123711

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco base pan 01.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1123710 Click image for larger version

Name:	bronco base pan 02.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1123711
                  A work of BBQ art. There’s a market for that!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here