Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepper Cannon. Why did I pay $200 for a pepper mill. Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what I read from Kenji, said the Mannkitchen kicks the Unicorns ass (except for price) Did anyone see something different?

kenjilopezalt
    Verified
    How I spent the last hour of my day: grinding a half pound of black pepper as i compared two high end pepper mills (the @mannkitchen pepper cannon and the @weberworkshops mill) to my old standby the Unicorn.

Either of these guys kicks the unicorn’s a$$ as far as ability to fly through pepper, fine-tune grind size, and maintain grind size without drifting as you use the mill. (Both are also way more expensive!). Still not sure which of the higher end ones I prefer but they both have some great features. Maybe I’ll do a full review some

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      The Weber Workshops' Moulin pepper mill is even more expensive to going for $320!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s the point, the Unicorn is $50. Not a lot of folks ready to pay hundreds of dollars for a pepper grinder, if you need lots of ground pepper use a coffee grinder, they work great.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - Steve, I agree that a coffee grinder works great for a high volume of FINELY GROUND pepper. But if you need a substantial volume of coarsely ground, or cracked pepper, like for BBBR or a traditional Dalmatian brisket rub, trying to use a coffee grinder is a significant hassle. Just saying.

Yikes!

Comment

20% off right now bringing it within $10 on the Kickstarter pricing: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-cannon-20-off

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
        20% off right now bringing it within $10 on the Kickstarter pricing: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-cannon-20-off
        Im pretty sure Santa will bring me one, I been good.

Comment

That kind of pricing just grinds my a$$!

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            If you tried it. You would know how insane this mill is. Well worth the price of admission. 😁

Since Steve referenced my commentary on Kenji and the Unicorn being his favorite I'll jump in here, though I don't particularly like these "...My choice is best because................" things. Two things triggered my reference to Kenji: 1: I watch all his vids and notice that nearly every single time he's preparing a dish he reaches over to his collection of spice dispensers and grabs the Unicorn to pepper whatever he's cooking. 2: He actually made the comment during one of his vids a month or two ago that the Unicorn is still his favorite after all the years he's used it and others. He pointed to a taller black one that he said was milled from aluminum and it worked well but he didn't like the feel of it in use. That all transpired in seconds with no further commentary. Yeah, I've seen the Pepper Cannon promo showing Kenji, but also know that he was comped that unit, so that should also be considered however you wish. I don't care what choice people make, and certainly don't gauge my personal value based on how many people agree with me (I don't agree with PJ on much but we still get along ). But I have found value in watching what people actually do rather than what they say when it comes to determining what they really believe (especially valuable when evaluating politicians). Live long and prosper.................

Comment

I keep telling myself that I am going to acquire some Tellicherry peppercorns from SpiceJungle and grind them in my coffee bean grinder first when I use up my existing pepper before buying a dedicated grinder. That is my plan and I am sticking to it, no matter how much you guys try to tempt me into spending more money!

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              It's only money. Pull some off of that tree in the backyard.

Panhead John Here you go, a brief demonstration of the Unicorn versus my cheapo pepper mill. I left each flat on a plate and twisted each 25 times.

Not trying to say the Unicorn is better than the PC, but is the PC four times better? I doubt it. Got better things to do with my dollars, it’s just pepper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19AE6A47-3C8B-4CB6-98F3-618B81A57D8C.jpeg
Views:	902
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1133113 Click image for larger version

Name:	F903E049-F9BD-4CDB-8B82-A05972D88FE2.jpeg
Views:	918
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1133114

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, $200 for a pepper grinder is... not for me. If someone routinely needs a lot of fresh ground pepper, I can see it but I rarely need a lot of it at once for a dish. At $50, I could see it, hence the appeal of the Unicorn.
              Last edited by rickgregory; November 27, 2021, 12:10 PM.

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman How difficult is it to reload? I can see myself dumping more peppercorns on the floor than in the grinder. Ha! Which is what happens now with my old wooden mill anyway, so no big deal.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Craigar There's that rather large port hole in the front. I just took a piece of paper and made a funnel and filled it in seconds, no big deal.

Well, home alone for the week so I’ve been reading old threads and this one popped up. Gave me MPS so I plucked down 2 bills and now have a pepper cannon. I’m going to blame you all when my wife asks me what that black thing is on the counter.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha. It is a beast. And actually quite nice looking. Don’t think you’ll ever need another pepper mill.

Steve B Now you can spend $150 on a Salt Cannon

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha. I probably would have. But I just started on BP meds. So I’m cutting way back on my salt intake.
              Guess that’s on way to curb spending impulses. 😁

So my manual coffee grinder repurposed as a pepper grinder…..was inadvertently donated. It is a rather annoying the Unicorn has been out of stock for months.

So I went with this one.

"Peugeot Paris Chef u'Select Stainless Steel 22cm - 8 3/4"" Pepper Mill" (32494) https://a.co/du8A6ib

We’ll see.

Comment

• MsTwiggy
              MsTwiggy commented
              Editing a comment
              I love the Peugeot mills and have several of them! I have one with a hand crank for when I want a lot of pepper to make a rub. I have a traditional turned wood one for the table. And I have one that can grind spices and long pepper. No complaints - they also curate some peppercorns that are phenomenal.

These are my Puegeot pepper mills. On the left is the Isen spice mill which can fit long pepper or other spices. Middle is an Isen u select with a crank to grind quantity of pepper for a rub quickly. Right is my traditional mill for tableside which I put my fancy peopercorns in for salad. I love all of them 😻
            Attached Files

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, it was today that I learned about long pepper! Thanks

MsTwiggy i think we are pretty close on the backsplash too.

Attached Files

Comment

• MsTwiggy
              MsTwiggy commented
              Editing a comment
              😻😻😻

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine is similar to that as well

I added a Cuisinart coffee grinder so I can knock out 6 tbsp of pepper in 10 seconds baby. It works great for $20.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here