Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My One-Day BBQ Tour in Austin, Texas!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My One-Day BBQ Tour in Austin, Texas!!!!

Fellow Pit Members,
    I will be in Austin, Texas from May 18th to May 21st. I am flying in a day early just for a BBQ pilgrimage, on the 19th. I was thinking of driving to Lockhart, TX for Kruez Meat Market, then hop over the Drift Wood to hit up The Salt-Lick. I don't mind driving the miles, I love the open road! My plans that day are pretty flexible, I am open to suggestions, but I wanted to hit these two places especially.

I will be in town for a my cousins bachelor party and we are having Franklin BBQ catered-in on Friday night!! (We ordered a month ago) So that is why I don't plan on stopping by during the day. But maybe it is worth going, just to check it out.

If any Pit members are in the Austin area and would want to join me for a "Meat-up" and/or maybe show me around a few local spots.......That would be awesome! It wouldn't have to be hours out of your day, just grab some great Que and visit for a bit I would like the opportunity to meet some of my BBQ Brethren/Sistren from the Heart of Texas!

I hope to see you in Austin!!!

Spinaker
    Last edited by Spinaker; April 27, 2017, 09:14 PM.

Lucky!! [Napoleon Dynamite voice]

Comment

Sounds like a great trip. Catered by Franklin's? Unbelievable! Don't drink too much so you can remember the food.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Luckily that won't be a problem. I gave up the sauce just over 5 years ago. BBQ is my new addiction. Hence the tour.

You don't have to eat at Franklin to take a tour. Just wait until after the crowd dies down and ask someone if you can tour. You might get lucky and meet Aaron, so take your copy of his book.

Not really that much to see, but still fun.

Comment

Can you stop by NY on your way down and pick me up??
        Get me out of this hole.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be slight detour, but see if you can jump on my brother's flight out of NYC! Although me and you might not ever go back to our perspective cities..............

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Would love to but my vacation is the week before and am dealing with an ill mother. Rough times right now.
          Have a great time and post us some pics.

I've been to the Salt Lick and to Black's in Lockhart, plus Franklin's in Austin. Salt Lick is a great, classic facility with good Q, but I'd put Black's well ahead of it for food. The wait at Franklin's is a real issue, though I am glad I did it.

Whatever you do, enjoy your trip and, after driving in the horrible traffic of Austin, be glad you don't live there.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I have added Black's to the list. Thanks!

Enjoy the trip and your extended family. Take pictures and show us the Q!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Will do!

Another thought - even though you are eating Franklin's food, locals will go 1:30 - 2:00 PM and see what's left. My son scored some brisket the last time he did that.

Comment

While in Lockhart you have to try Blacks and Smitty's. It has been a while since I ate at Kruez, but if my memory serves me correct you want to get the brisket point. I though the clod at Smitty's was the best and Blacks had the best sausage. Lockhart is one of the few places you can get the Clod, so by all means you should give it a try. Salt Lick does more of an Open Pit BBQ, and I believe still serves family style. You are going to be the envy of everyone in the Pit.
          Last edited by LA Pork Butt; April 28, 2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tips. I will defiantly be getting "the Clod."

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
          You are going to be the envy of everyone in the Pit.
          True story...

Comment

If you have time, go to Luling, just a few miles from Lockhart. City Market, in the heart of town, is also one of the top BBQ joints in Texas.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Added to my list!!! Thanks!

The Salt Lick was featured here on TV back in 2013 during the Austin 400 - an international V8 supercar championship.
            Couple of our drivers went there and were enjoying some Q straight off the grill. Since then its been on my bucket list.
            It may be lots of years away but I'll be doing a trip to the USA and not just for food..You guys have a beautiful big country with lots of nice things to see! And eat...
            Enjoy your trip immensely Spinnaker...
            Now I have to go cause I'm turning green....like the Hulk... but not with anger.....more like envy...

Comment

Visit Micklethwait Craft meats. It's a camper but I swear it's better than Franklin's.
              They close when meats is sold out (around 2 PM).

I was in Austin just a week ago. It's almost my second home.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                IS this just down the street from Franklin's?

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, 2 minute drive, less than 10 minutes walk.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah dude. i saw this on TV. I need to make this stop.

Totally jealous!!! I went to school at UT in Austin and love the area. Here's a couple of links that may be of interest:

Enjoy and take pics so we can at least take the trip virtually with you.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks T-Bone!

My mother and brother live in Austin (Cedar Park, a suberb). My wife and I are lucky enough to visit them every year! We have never been to Franklins, but hit up the Salt Lick and County Line often. My brother sometimes does his own smoke - he has an offset. In fact, this was what got me started on smoking.

Also, swing by H.E.B grocery store. They have some fine rubs. My favorite is Dan Pastorini's rub!

Your gonna love it Spinnaker!

Here are some pics from a 2013 visit to the Salt Lick

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9085 (Large).JPG
Views:	175
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	311673

Name:	IMG_9105 (Large).JPG
Views:	197
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	311672

Name:	IMG_9088 (Large).JPG
Views:	171
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	311671

Comment

• JGrana
                JGrana commented
                Editing a comment
                BTW, the picture of the Pitmaster holding the large brisket appeared in a Sunday edition newspaper in Austin. I had put the pictures on my Flickr account and was contacted by the publication. I was flattered!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome!!! JGrana

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like meat heaven to me.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here