Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meatup with Meathead in Chicago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meatup with Meathead in Chicago?

I'm contemplating a Meatup with Meathead in Chicago. Informal like the ones in TX and NC, not as fancy as the Memphis plan that was canceled because of covid.

I'm looking at THU July 13 through SAT July 15. SUN July 16 is the last day of the Windy City Smokeout which you can stay over for. It is a LOT of BBQ and music.

There will be no charge other than hotel, meals, transportation, Smokeout, and other entertainment which you pay directly.

​We'd have to limit it to about 50 members and spouses.

At this late date I can't find any downtown hotels for under $250 that have enough rooms left so we will all have to find our own hotels. If we want to stay in the same hotel maybe we try for autumn or next year. We'll carpool or take Uber, Lift, taxi, bus, train.​ I will book restaurants if we get enough of a response below. Here's my tentative itinerary.

Bring your book for me to sign.

I could use some help in pulling this off so if you want to volunteer, let me know below.

THU July 13
    Meeting at hotel, cocktails
    Dinner – Weber Grill or Smoke Daddy or Green St. BBQ

FRI July 14
    Breakfast at hotel
    At liberty
    Lunch – Sun Wah
    At liberty
    Dinner - Smoque
    Optional: Cubs v Boston at 7:00 p.m.
    Optional: Grant Park Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet 6:30 p.m.

SAT July 15
    Breakfast at hotel
    At liberty
    Lunch – Honey 1
    At liberty
    Dinner – Honkey Tonk
    Optional: Grant Park Prokofiev Romeo & Juliet 6:30 p.m.

SUN July 16
    Optional: Windy City Smokeout $78
    The official site to get your Windy City Smokeout tickets. Join us for the nation's best BBQ & country music festival July 13-16, 2023.

RESTAURANTS BEING CONSIDERED
    Smoque, 3800 North Pulaski Rd., Chicago, 773-545-7427, Barry Sorkin owner. Absolutely brilliant brisket, the best outside of Texas and better than most in Texas. Pork and ribs are excellent, and the sides are way above average. The dining room is small and there are often lines to get in.

Honey 1 BBQ, 746 E. 43rd St, Chicago, IL 60653, 773-227-5130, Robert Adams Sr., wife Patricia, son Robert Jr. opened in 2003 on Division St., moved to Western Ave, and now they are located in Bronzeville. A cut above the rest of the Aquarium pit joints. Delta shade tree-BBQ in a no frills joint. Outstanding old style ribs with a fine bark, seasoned minimally and sauce on the side, it is all about the meat. Don’t miss the hot links. Rib tips are their best seller. This place is the essence of Chicago BBQ.

Honky Tonk Barbeque, 1213 W. 18th St., Chicago, 312-226-7427. Willie Wagner, owner, and an all round cool guy. Good food, funky vibe with fun garage sale paintings on the walls, lots of tats on the staff, great music, too.

Sun Wah Barbecue. This James Beard American Classic Award winner does Chinese barbecue right. Click the link to see my pix and my review. https://amazingribs.com/one-nation-u...ah-wins-beard/

Weber Grill, Downtown Chicago, 539 N. State Street Chicago IL 60654 312-467-9696. Steakhouse.

Green Street Smoked Meats, 112 N. Green Street, Chicago, IL 60607. 312-754-0431. Very hip vibe. Good que.

ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS WHEN AT LIBERTY OR FOR FAMILY
    Adler Planetarium
    Art Institute of Chicago
    American Girl
    Art Fairs
    Blue Man Group
    Blues/Jazz/Gospel
    Buddy Guy’s
    Cabaret ZaZou
    Chicago Architecture Foundation Tours by Foot, Boat, Train
    Chicago Board of Trade/Mercantile
    Chicago Cultural Center
    Chinatown
    Comedy: Second City, IO, Zanies, Improv Kitchen
    Driehaus & Newberry Museums
    DuSable
    Elevated tour
    Field Museum Natural History
    Frank Lloyd Wright Home
    Gallery District
    Hellenic Museum
    Historical Society
    Holography Museum
    House of Blues
    Hull House
    Library
    Lincoln Park Streets, Zoo, Conservatory
    Loyola U Museum of Art
    Merchandise Mart
    Mexican Fine Arts Center
    Millennium Park
    Money Museum
    Morton Arboretum
    Museum of Broadcast History
    Museum of Contemporary Art
    Museum of Contemp Photog
    Museum of Science & Industry
    Navy Pier
    Notebaert
    Peace Museum
    Pritzger Military Library
    River Walk
    Robie House
    Roger Brown Residence
    Rookery
    Scholls Museum
    Sears Tower
    Segway Experience of Chicago, CitySegway Tours
    Shedd Aquarium
    Shopping on Magnificent Mile /FAO/Nike/Apple
    Sports: Bears, Cubs, Sox, Blackhawks, Red Stars, Fire, Minor League Baseball
    Surgical Science Museum
    Theatre
    Trolley
    Vietnam Museum
    Water Taxi
    Water Tower/Fire Museum
    Mndr Museum in West Loop
    Wrigleyville
    Writer’s Museum
    Last edited by Meathead; May 13, 2023, 02:29 PM.

Looks like fun, but after 5 weeks totin' our 5th wheel from sea to shining sea then back to shining sea again I think I better sit this one out and get after the hunny-do list at home. I'll definitely be following this!
    Last edited by CaptainMike; May 13, 2023, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I'm interested.

Comment

We are scheduled for a trip to WI in July so this may work out. Following.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          If you have a need to stay near Indy, Amanda and I would love to host an evening of wine and good food!

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          mrteddyprincess That’s a generous and tempting offer, Brian. I will keep you posted as our plans evolve.

It is a great opportunity.....

I am cooking for a Fundraiser

Comment

Another retirement bucket list item. Hopefully this will become a repeating event. I haven't been to Chicago in 45 years and there are lot's of vittles on my to eat list.
          Last edited by Bkhuna; May 14, 2023, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I'm right up the road so absolutely!

Comment

I don’t know that I’ll be staying downtown for three nights, but I’ll definitely participate in the eating 😀.

Comment

The better half and I would like to attend a lunch or dinner on one of those days. We will know more about which days we can make in a few weeks.
                Last edited by STEbbq; May 13, 2023, 06:58 PM.

Comment

My wife would love me if I offered to take her to a Cubs game, but I hate baseball in July in the midwest. It’s late and I’ll rethink this after sleeping, but would love the opportunity to shake your hand and express my appreciation for this community.

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The pitch clock has changed everything, the Pirates and Rockies played a game in 1:55 last week.

• JLR
                    JLR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Attending a game is much more exciting that watching it on TV. I love one but hate the other.

• WayneT
                    WayneT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wrigley Field is an experience in itself. If a ball game breaks out that’s better. Then you get to drink an Old Style and be a part of something greater than the sum of its parts.

I would love to do this. I’m not sure I can pull it off, so don’t put me on a list just yet. We got quite a full plate this summer already.

Comment

Im in Gran Canaria in that periode so no can do…

Comment

I'm in..I have my own Hotel though....Expensive Cook County Property Taxes....
                      Last edited by troymeister; May 14, 2023, 07:46 AM.

Comment

We will be passing through Chicago that week and since there is no up front charge, would it be possible to participate for one of the days? Or is this an all or nothing meetup?

Comment

• Meathead
                          Meathead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Dunno yet.

Great idea. I'm getting back from Cape Cod that Thursday so, I'll have to pass. Enjoy if you get it done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here