Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maintaining temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintaining temperature

On your pit how long can I expect to maintain temperature before having to add another log. an hour 2 or 3? Please tell me what model pit you have.

I have a Lang 48" deluxe patio model. 1/4 inch steel. I have to add wood to the fire to maintain temps about every 45 minutes. One or two splits, depending on the size of the splits. I keep the vents wide open and cook to temp by building my fire size. I can do 250 F but she really likes to cook at 325 F. For that cooker, I see no advantage to "low and slow." Hot and fast tastes just as good. :-)

Comment

Well first off you need to tell us what pit you’re using or plan on using.
      Every pit is different.

In my LSG, a 24”X36” offset, as with most other high end pits you can expect to have to add a split or two every 30-45min or so. Give or take.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree totally. Nothing replaces learning your pit and becoming the master of it :-) That takes time and experience. Nothing can replace that.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely mrteddyprincess I guarantee you I run my pit totally different than the way you run yours.
        It’s all about learning and knowing your own cooker.
        To add to that. There really is no wrong way if you get the results you’re looking for.
        I prefer and usually run temps in the mid 200*. But if 300+ works for you than that’s awesome. As long as you get the results you’re looking for. All is good. 👍👊

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        The PK360 likes to cook in the 250-275 F range. I can crank it up higher than that, but most of the time I'm cooking on it where you're cooking :-)

30 mins to an hour on either my stickburners.
      (OKJ Highland, Horizon 20" Classic.)

skorepeo what cooker are ya tryin to figger out???

Reckon we'uns could give ya better advice, if we knew jus what yer tryin to fuel...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here