Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning off set stick burner by Lyfe Tyme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning off set stick burner by Lyfe Tyme

Before and after every cook I brush the grates and wipe them down. I wipe down the entire chamber and wire brush the chimney. I've had it for 3 years. Is there anything else anyone would recommend cleaning wise?

Make sure the firebox is cleaned of any ash (It turns acidic when wet). Keep the pit dry as posible, humidity is it's worst enemy.

Comment

I have taken to using disposable aluminum pans because I can't really wash out the Lang in the wintertime with a garden hose. And I use wire racks on top of the aluminum pans so smoke can go on the under side too. So the pan catches the drippings and the rack keeps the meat up off the bottom. I just smoked a brisket and pork belly burnt ends this way and they turned out great!

Comment

• mad mike
        mad mike commented
        Editing a comment
        I always clean and blow out the firebox. I use aluminum pans under the grates to catch the drippings (great gravy on briskets) and I never hit it with a hose, only a blower when I'm done cleaning.

All I can do is second Ahumadora in telling you to clean out the ash, and keep it as clean and dry as possible between cooks. Nothing like opening your cooker to find it full of mold right when you are ready to fire it up for a cook.

My process any time I know I won't be using the offset for a while is to hose it down good, maybe with soapy water and a wire brush in there, getting rid of all the grease and ash. I then light at least one chimney of charcoal and dump it in the firebox, and let it burn as hot as I can to dry everything out good. I wait for everything to cool down, then dump the ashes, and cover it up with the cover. I used to NOT cover the offset, and had more issue with mold and crap inside than I did once I got a decent cover for it.

If I find mold after its been stored a while, then nothing to do but fire it up with THREE chimneys of charcoal - one for the fire box, and two in the main cooking chamber, which I have a charcoal pan for when using it as a grill. Gotta burn all the mold out. Then I hit it with the hose and brushes, then get ready to cook.
      Last edited by jfmorris; April 3, 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here