Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stickburning Discoveries: Larger Firebox = Easier to get Clean Smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stickburning Discoveries: Larger Firebox = Easier to get Clean Smoke!

Ok, I'm a couple of months into my new StickBurning experience. Have a new 22" offset, built like a Yoder Witicha, heavy gauge with a plate I can raise and lower between the firebox and the cooking chamber. It's been way fun cooking on it! I'll put a pic of so of the BRISKET PRACTICE here...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	79599

Name:	IMG_1348.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	79598

Name:	IMG_1195.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	79602

I'm having Big Fun and loosing a lot of sleep with all this Brisket Practice!!!

This week, I cooked 300 sausages for a fundraiser for the elementary school I volunteer for on Friday, so I borrowed this huge pit from a church friend. It's 44 (or 48, I can't remember) inches wide, and 8 feet long, with a huge firebox. I walked by today and saw this comparison:

Name:	IMG_1731.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	79600

I'll name them Lil' Tex and Big Tex!

My issues on my Lil' Tex largely deal with keeping the fire going and the smoke clean. I have 3 ricks of wood from 3 different suppliers, 1 of Oak that was split about 5 months ago and stored under a shed, another rick of Oak that was split about 2 months ago, and 1 rick of Pecan that was split a few months ago, and has too many large logs and long logs (poor splitting, so I won't buy from that seller again).

One learning is that I need to have SMALLER WOOD for the smaller smoker. This is not rocket science, but I was just using what I had. So, as a red-blooded man, I used this as a great reason to BUY MORE TOOLS. So, there's a new Huskvarna chainsaw in my garage, I bought a 6 pound maul to split wood today, and think I'll have a 7 ton (small) electric spitter here in a week or so, so I can have smaller splits and shorter ones for my Lil' Tex.

OK, back to Big Tex. IT HAS BEEN SO FUN TO BUILD A FIRE IN THIS HUGE FIREBOX!!

Name:	IMG_1719.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	79604
    I laid a couple of more flat pieces on the bottom, poured on a full can of lit charcoal...

Name:	IMG_1717.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	79607

Name:	IMG_1720.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	79605
    then put on a couple more splits on top, and waited a bit...

Name:	IMG_1726.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	79597
    And a huge, beautiful fire emerged!

Name:	IMG_1727.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	79601
    Followed by a beautiful bed of coals (OK, I didn't take a pic of the fullest bed, but the one above will do!)

I'm having a blast cooking on this huge cooker!

I'll start another thread tomorrow, I am cooking for another event Monday, and have 95 pounds of St. Louis Cut Ribs, a couple of Boston Butt's, and a few dozen chicken thigh's. I'll use both 22.5 WSM's, and Big Tex. Should be fun!

Happily Yours...
    Stickburner4Life
    Attached Files

You da Man Paul! You da Man.

Comment

Large insulated fireboxes are super nice. You da Protein King.

Comment

Looks awesome, I think when I retire I will get a big rig like that and just smoke meat all day for people.

Comment

Beautimous. Fantabulicious. Fabutastic.

Comment

Wow, Big Tex is a monster. And that brisket looks great. Thanks for the firebuilding pics, they are helping get me revved up for my cinder block pit build.

Comment

As far as your original question of wood size. The smaller one needs smaller pieces of wood. For the small one the size wood should be about the size of a soda pop can in length and diameter. That is the size I am going to use on my small Lang when I get it. I have read of folks not having a clean burn on a small stick burners as the size of the wood is to large.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here