Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS- LSG 20 x36 or M1grill ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS- LSG 20 x36 or M1grill ?

I am fighting my MCS right now and losing, so I have it narrowed down to these two LSG 20 x 36 offset or the M1 grill. Need input from those experienced with using wood and offset etc. My other cookers remain Weber perfomer , BGE and a gasser. thanks

Sounds like you need the stickburner!

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      the m1 does also burn wood and or lump.

• Ground Chuck
      Ground Chuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Welp, ya got me there! I'm salvaging my response with the LSG!

Two completely different class of cookers. My only issues with rigs like the M1 or say the Open Range is they are relatively thin painted gage metal. Look and work great until they begin to get older and rust sets in. With an LSG you're buying a tank. It's made out of 1/4" steel plate. Yea it will rust as well but it takes a long time to rust through 1/4" plate.

I guess I've owned way too many thin metal cookers, seen them come and seen them go. Invest in something you could potentially pass along to your children. I'd go LSG.

But that's one man's opinion, I hope you choose wisely padawan !!!

Comment

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      just fyi the M1 is 1/4" steel fire box and 10 gauge steel the rest.

You need the LSG. Without a doubt.
    If you like the idea and don’t mind tending your pit it is an incredible rig. Have had mine for 3 years now and absolutely love it. They are sooo versatile depending on what options you choose.
    As Troutman said it will rust, but I leave mine uncovered from April until December and the only rust so far is around the top of the fire box. And very minimal at that. I will be buried long before this puppy rusts out. 😁

Comment

M36

Comment

Comment

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            That is really, literally built like a TANK! 😁

• AverageJoe
            AverageJoe commented
            Editing a comment
            I drove the M1A1 and the first iteration of the A2 when I was in the Army

Look at pitmaker as well. Based in Houston.

Comment

Or a David Klose cooker. Also from Texas

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Had one of Klose's stick burners in the 90's, lived about 5 miles from his shop. I'd still take an LSG any day.

How big you want to go? Normal size of crowd or family you cook for? How much space ya got?? All important questions to help narrow down or open up even more possibilities...

Comment

• Jon Liebers
              Jon Liebers commented
              Editing a comment
              good point. I want something larger than the BGE or Weber . Hate being cramped for space or using contraptions to fit another slab.But I also don't expect to be going into the catering biz anytime soon . Typically cook for 6-12

• Timcee
              Timcee commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmm.. Are you close to neighbors? I bought 2 stick burners and didn't take in to consideration my neighbors.. Yea.. Talking about inconvenience starting mid-day.. Not that they complain but I'm mindful of the smoke put out to get it going.. So my cooks start very early or late at night with them. Like the LSG for space, griddle, etc. but I think the M1 is more versatile but since you have grills already then LSG will cover all smoking desires but I'd go a little bigger..

The M1 is more versatile and the LSG is an offset stickburner. I have no doubt my M1 will last several lifetimes as long as it’s not mistreated. I think mine is 1/4 inch steel all over. If it’s a toss up buy the less expensive one.

Comment

LSG, but go bigger than 20" x 36"...

Ya can thank me, later...

Comment

I absolutely love my M1. It is incredibly easy to add fuel, it maintains temperature very easily, and it's easy to access all areas for cleaning purposes. It weighs 400 pounds and is built to last for the rest of your life. I really do recommend the M1!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here