Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modification for New Braunfels Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modification for New Braunfels Smoker

Got an old New Braunfels offset smoker from a buddy as a graduation gift. I purchased RTV sealant for the cook chamber and firebox. It did not go as well as I had hoped, as a lot of smoke was continuing to escape from the chamber/firebox. The smoke came out of the cooking chamber/fire box at almost the same rate as the cook I did before I applied the RTV. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for the solution? I was thinking of 3 things 1) buying lava lock gasket self adhesive and place it directly over the RTV that is on my pit, 2) scrapping as much of the RTV off as possible and then applying the lavalock gasket and finally 3) putting more RTV over the areas that smoke escaped from.

PS any suggestions for removing the RTV?

Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to y'alls suggestions. Take care!

Some kind of thinner, Toluene would probably work the best but it is highly flammable, its fumes are noxious, wear gloves its not the nicest stuff.
    Plus a razor blade and some elbow grease.
    Personally I'd ditch the RTV altogether, your gasket with adhesive idea seems the best to me FWIW.

Comment

• nromero1776
      nromero1776 commented
      Editing a comment
      Does the toluene help remove the RTV?

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      It should soften it enough that the razor blade and elbow grease will finish it.

Also: is there good draught in the smoker? Try lengthening the smoke stack to get it to suck air into and through the smoker.

Comment

• nromero1776
      nromero1776 commented
      Editing a comment
      how do you suggest doing that?

First off, I'm assuming you have the 'normal' Braunfels offset smoker. I would go to a Home Depot store or similar and find a metal pipe that is the same size as your current smoke stack, or slightly larger. That way you can simply put it on top (outside) the existing stack. Like sticking a larger tube (your extension) over a smaller tube (the original stack). No welding needed, just make sure it's a reasonably tight fit. The stack you buy can be any metal pipe in terms of thickness, i.e. it doesn't have to be thick and heavy. Look for drain pipes or whatever you can find that is cheap.

Here's a guy that have done modifications to his Braunfel smoker, perhaps they can provide inspiration. In the fourth pic you can see his smoke stack extension, and as you can see it isn't high-tech:

The reason I suggested lengthening the smoke stack is to improve draught. Improved draught will suck air through the smoker, so the hot air and smoke moves over the meat and out, instead of leaking through every nook and cranny on the way.

Comment

Post a bunch of detailed photos of the smoker please. You probably have various problems going on.

Comment

You're getting advice from two of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of The Pit, Henrik and Ahumadora. They are true pitmasters. smokin fool is new, so I don't know much about him, but his suggestion makes sense.

Comment

Thank you @gcdmd.
          To be clear I would try paint thinner first and see how it goes, your not going to dissolve the RTV just soften it for scrapping.
          If you do go to Toluene read the instructions like I said it is not a nice chemical.
          May do in part of the painted surface.

Comment

• nromero1776
            nromero1776 commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome thanks for the tips. I live in CA and while doing research last night it looks like the state does not allow it to be sold here in CA

Good luck on the mods. Post some photos of your work.
          Last edited by Bkhuna; May 3, 2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I know that this COS is not the best, but I was hoping to make some mods to make it more efficient while I put some cash away for a custom built one down the future. Thank you al for the help
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photos. I would scrape off any gunk, and then buy a self-adhesive felt gasket. I usually buy either Kamado Joe or BGE replacement gasket. Real easy to work with. Brand doesn’t matter, just get a self-adhesive felt gasket.

Next up: longer smoke stack. How handy are you with the tools? Is moving the stack an option (to the end of the food chamber?

Third: you’re gonna have to put some kind of deflector plate in to redirect hot air when it enters the food chamber.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Would be tricky adding an extension to the stack with the cap on it.

• nromero1776
                nromero1776 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok thank you I will try my best to get all that gunk off and apply gasket to the cooking chamber and firebox. I like your idea of extending the stack I can probably do something like that.

As for the deflector plate, I am unfamiliar with that.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, the cap has to go obviously. No need for it anyway.

Looking at your pics I would ditch my thinners theory all together.
              Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy an automotive gasket scrapper. If your can remove the doors go at them with the scrapper.
              I'm in the Henrik camp, his suggestions beat anything I can come up with.

Comment

• nromero1776
                nromero1776 commented
                Editing a comment
                Good idea on the gasket scrapper. I would ideally like to use chemicals to get the job done and removing all the RTV

Sounds like you got some great pointers. Thinking about getting the rtv, etc, off, you might consider using a grinder to knock that crap off. However, I would not use a regular grinding wheel. I would attach a flap-wheel head. That will allow much better control without digging into the base metal. Good luck.

Comment

I was youtubing some stuff last night. Has anyone had luck with using their smaller grill grates wrapping them in foil and making a makeshift baffle?

Comment

Here's my 2 cents: Unbolt the flap on the chimney and fling it into the neighbors yard. Only person here who uses the exhaust damper is Huskee and everyone knows his BBQ tastes like burnt hair and soot (just joking). If you look at the top left corner of the main door you can see where it is leaking (all black) but the rest of the gasket looks fine. Use a 4lb hammer and give that hinge a few love taps for the door to set hard against the pit. Spend a little time fine tuning the door with a wedge of wood and tweak the hinges or door until it sits tight all the way around. Doesn't need much to move it. Clean the silicone gasket you have and try it. Do the same to the fire bow door. (You want the doors sealing 100% it is important) Chimney looks fine don't mess with it. Know anyone who is a welder who can weld the firebox to the main chamber? Use a wire brush on a grinder first to clean it good then run a narrow bead around top and underside to join it 100%. Try that then post pics.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gee thanks....

Mine is always open fully, unless I'm not cooking, then it's closed to keep the snow and rain out. I use it because I have it.

• Ahumadora
                    Ahumadora commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I forgot Yes add a deflector plate.. You can make a cardboard pattern and get a metal shop to cut one out of 1/8" plate. Let me know if you need pics or google images (bbq pit deflector plate)

Decided to finally paint my offset today! Yesterday I was able to scrape off all the RTV from the firebox and cooking chamber. Ordered lavalock self-adhesive gasket which will be arriving tomorrow via Amazon. Talked to my buddy who is very handy and he is willing to fabricate a heat deflector plate so that will be going in sometime next week. Decided to add dryer vent tubing to assist with draught. I also added RTV where the firebox and cooking chamber are after watching smoke escape from there a few cooks back. Thanks for your tips everyone progress is being made on my COS.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks good especially with that RTV gone, get that new gasket on she'll be purring like a kitten.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here