Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Stickburners Need a Water Pan Too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Stickburners Need a Water Pan Too?

I've never used a water pan but my reverse-flow offset smoker always has condensation building up in it throughout the cook; I can see a fair amount of drips on the inner walls. I'm guessing it's coming from the wood and maybe the swampy DC air? Anywho… that being the case, would I benefit from adding a water pan? Is humidity one of those things where you want as much as you can get, or more like once you get to a certain point going past it won't make a difference?

Nah, especially if you see condensation inside. Mine does that too. Sometimes I put one in, up against the firebox side to add a little extra buffer and humidity, but the times I do or don't I notice zero difference in the finished product. In most cases, it's either the humid air or the wood's moisture level (or both) that causes that condensation to build up on the walls.

Comment

I usually tell people to run one to help humidity and stabilize temps. If it is raining I don't bother or if cooking over 500 kg of meat at once.

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        ClayJones so for all those 1200 pound cooks that you do, no water pan needed

• ClayJones
        ClayJones commented
        Editing a comment
        Noted! I usually don't eat over half a ton of BBQ, but when I do it's because I'm in Argentina at Ahumadora 's place and it's too good to stop. B)

I do a water pan with pork butts and brisket. There's not much of a difference with or without but I think I like the bark better with the water pan present. I think there are professional BBQ people who argue passionately one way or the other. Mr. Mixon is all about the water pan. Mr. Marks of Three Little Pigs says it's not necessary at all and he likes the bark better with no water pan.

Comment

If you're seeing condensation, there is nothing a water pan would do except to moderate the heat. There's no such thing as > 100% relative humidity.

Comment

• ClayJones
          ClayJones commented
          Editing a comment
          Hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Makes total sense! I'm in here learning bbq and science from y'all today!

Roger that. Thanks gents. I told myself I was going to cut down on buying random Q equipment this season so this helps!

That recent email highlighting all the award winners, however, did NOT help. lol

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, random equipment makers have to eat to ya know! 🕶

On my LSG offset I almost always use water, no water pan, in the bottom of the cooking chamber. That's how they designed it.
        It does seem to help keep the cooking chamber temps more stable. But as mrteddyprincess said there will be some who say use one and others saying do not use one.

Comment

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought about it, but I haven't used water in the bottom of my LSG yet. Does the waster make it easier to keep temps ideal for "low & slow" or does it primarily result in a better bark?

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          kenrobin It seems to help keep pit temps more stable and even across the cooking surface. At least that’s what I have noticed.

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Steve B . I will try it soon.

I most always use one in my stickburners...

Sometimes a disposable half pan, other times jus an ol loaf pan I have had forever, an a day.

Necessary? Mebbe not, but it has always worked fer me...

Debate over it? Nah, I've got much better things to do with my time.

I'll let my food, an pics do alla my talkin.

Smoke On, yall!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with ya, share what you do & why and leave it at that.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here