Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Stickburner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Stickburner

Good Morning, Boys!

I've been using this site for the past four or five years when I got my cheap Akorn and have loved it. I really have the outdoor cooking itch now. I watch a lot of the competition shows on television and have been longing for an offset stickburner for a years. Coming to the site often, I know better than to buy something under $1500 bucks. I've been conducting my due-diligence for well over a year. One of the common things I find: get as big as you can! Some people are getting absolutely huge smokers, and has be doubting the size I'm looking for.

I've been in touch with Peoria, Klose, Shirley, Jambo, LSG, Gator, Johnson, Yoder, Pits by JJ. At this point, it all becomes a blur. What I do know is that Ritch at Gator Pits has provided by far, and not even close, the best customer service to this point. I'm just confused why it doesn't seem like more people own a Gator? Everyone wants a Shirley. Are Shirley's that much nicer? What intrigued me about the Shirley was the cabinet doors, and the price. However, Tyler told me in January the wait is 33 months. St Louis BBQ told me to check back in 6 months, but they won't get more Shirley's until next year due to warehousing issues (seems odd because I'd imagine Shirley's aren't warehoused for long).

Any advice before I take the plunge? Ritch can get me a 24x40" traditional cooker with grill, shipped to my house in KY for $2500. I haven't found a 24" cooker remotely close to that price. I really wanted a Jambo backyard, but I had to provide my own shipping, and the best quote I got was $700! That is almost $1000 more than what the Gator would cost. The Gator isn't insulated (Ritch said it would be overkill on a cooker that size) and doesn't have tuning plates which he said many of his customers do not get. The only other maker remotely close was Johnson, who could get me a 24x48 reverse flow for about $2,400. For some reason I feel like traditional is better but I'm open to any input.

I'm on the Gator list, and will have a pit in 14 weeks if I pull the trigger. I'm hoping to get talked into the Gator, but talk me out if you need to. I mostly cook for 2 people, up to probably 12, but was wanting capacity to cook for up to 20 plus. Also wondered if anyone had experience with a firebox grill? I've read some people use it, others do not. Anyone else have a non-insulated firebox? Am I going to regret not getting something insulated?

Thank you guys for having me! Click image for larger version

Name:	2040_smokergrill42.jpg?crc=93555838.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	669854

Welcome to the Pit from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun.

If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like.

For jokes, go to this thread.

Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here.

We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation.

Can't help with those brands, I use a KBQ

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      We tested and reviewed The Karubecue C-60 and found it produces perfect smoke consistently. The results are ambrosia. Those who seek the Holy Grail of Smoke need to know about Karubecue. This brilliant design enables novice BBQ enthusiasts to smoke meat like a wizened Texas pit boss, earning our AmazingRibs.com Platinum Medal.

Pull the trigger. It sounds like you have researched a bit to long. Something I have a tendency to do. But in your post you have answered your own question. Who gives a rip how many have whatever they have. You’ll have a Gator & be able to tell us all about it. Lookin forward to it. 🕶

We thank you for being a part of us.

Comment

Good advice, FireMan! The accountant in me often leads me down a rabbit hole of too much research.

Comment

I know folks here love the LSG and they are made well.

I know nothing about most things.

Huntington Beach welcomes you sir.

i hope you are happy with whatever you purchase and am looking forward to pics.

Comment

Gators are a good solid unit and I agree with Rich. You don't need an insulated firebox on a pit that size for occasional cooks. They are made with 1/4" steel so it will hold heat well.

Comment

I wasn't familiar with Gators so I read the web site. Cool lookin' cookers! And you can't go wrong with 1/4 inch construction. You're going to like this!

Comment

I can't help you on any other brands. I got a Jambo and found a shipping quote for $500 to Seattle. You can always pick them up in person too. I won't try to sell you on Jambo, but I am very happy with my pit and I love how the temperature is very even across the entire grate due to the firebox placement. The insulated firebox may not be needed, but it does reduce the amount of wood I need to use, makes outside temp mostly irrelevant, and stays hot enough that if I ever let my fire die, I can get it going again with just a tiny bit of embers. Sometimes it would be nice to have a firebox grill, but I can definitely live without it, especially since I have other grills that I can sear with.

I got a Jambo because of the reputation as the best stickburner out there. If you look at used Jambos for sale, they resale for full price and they go quick, which I think says a lot.

My advice to you is buy once, cry once. For a purchase of this magnitude that you will own for decades, don't let $500 make the decision for you. Go for quality. It looks like the Gator pit is really nice, they have a good reputation, and customer service is not something you get with Jambo. I hope I'm not making the decision harder for you, I just want to share my experience and why I got a Jambo when I was looking. In the end, whichever of these high-quality pits you go with, you will be really happy. Let me know if I can help with any specific questions.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
                Ground Chuck commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, PBC! I really like the Jambos. Been really tough deciding. By the time I rented a truck and trailer and gas I'm probably around $700 anyway. If the quote would have been lower I probably would have dove in! I was actually supposed to call Jamie yesterday to see when his next shipment of backyards will be ready.

Welcome from the Republic of Texas. Most reasonably built stick burners these days that you'll pay say $1500 and up for are usually well built and will perform about the same. People stress over the name brands because they think somehow it's going to cook better food. Does a Hyundai get you to work the same as a Cadillac? Of course it does. Your choice of a Gator seems to be a good one, just get to know it. It then becomes the cookie rather than the cooker that counts

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                A caddy does ride nicer tho.......

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Harry Soo wins tons of bbq cook offs with a Hyundai (better known as a 22" WSM) versus a Cadillac (better known as a Jambo). Cookie or cooker....hmmm?

• Ground Chuck
                Ground Chuck commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, Troutman! All the good cookers I'm seeing come from Texas lol. Sure wish Kentucky had options!

Dude, get the GATOR!! They are phenomenal pits. And Rich knows his stuff. I am on the fence between a LSG and a Gator. Both are fine pits that are made with care and attention to detail. I know Rich stands behind every Gator and I know you will be happy.

For me, personally , I would get the insulated firebox. That is because I live in Minnesota and it would help out in the winter months. I also like the idea of running a little bit more efficiently, even in the summer months. The firebox grill is cool and it would be a blast to have. But I would pass on that, in favor of the insulated firebox. The way I see it, I have plenty of other rigs that I can grill on.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
                Ground Chuck commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, man! Great advice . Such a tough decision because most those guys I mentioned make really quality pits.

I guess I’ll chime in as well 😁 First welcome aboard.
              As you can see from my avatar I own an LSG. It’s a 24x36.
              As mentioned before where you live you won’t need an insulated fire box. If you lived up in, say, Minnesota like Spinaker does than it would be beneficial.
              Before choosing the LSG I also researched most all of the same pits you have. Don’t get me wrong all of the pits you are looking at are of great quality.
              What set me over the edge to get the LSG was the fact that it did have the fire box grill. It comes in very handy and it gives you many different options on how to use it. Also where the chimney is placed. At the lower grate level. As heat and smoke rises it’s forced back down to escape causing a full engulfment of smoke throughout the cooking chamber.
              I also really like the flat top of the fire box, not the flat top they show for cooking on, that I don’t use. It just keeps the top cover from burning off the paint. But I use the top to preheat my splits.

Whichever pit you choose you will love it it I’m sure.
              Good luck brother.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Ground Chuck No lies there. I wasn’t looking to spend that much. But after tossing things back and forth, I realized I needed to do it right.

If you have any questions about LSG PM me. I’d be happy to answer your questions.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                And you did it right, brother! Steve B

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Spinaker

Welcome to the Pit! I can’t help with this one.

Comment

Can't help, but welcome to the pit!

Comment

I cant help with your decision, but Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome from south Texas! I too have strongly considered that Gator. Go for it, then show us what it can do!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here