Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All smoke the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All smoke the same?

Hey, noob here. If I’m smoking mostly at 225 and the wood chunks are producing mostly white smoke is there really much difference in the different wood flavors to the meat?

Here, read this article from Meathead over in the free part of the site, great information;

Learn all about wood smoke and how it adds flavor to BBQ. Find out whether you should be using wood chunks, chips, pellets, logs, or sawdust in your cooker. Discover the truth behind the claim that different woods have different flavors.

and welcome from the great State of Texas !! Been to Vancouver Island one time and found it beautiful !!!

Comment

• Heip
      Heip commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks TM!

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

• Heip
      Heip commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

The answer to your question is no.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Heip
      Heip commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up! Please, let us know if you have any more questions regarding smoke or wood!

When you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
    • To check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) Huskee with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]
    • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Howdy from Kansas territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
        Glad yer here now, to learn along with me!
        What kinda cooker(s) are ya runnin?
        I have a small assortment, here.

Comment

• Heip
          Heip commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, I’m running a gas fired Smoke Vault

The kind of smoke ABSOLUTELY MATTERS!

As you read in that article from our beloved Meathead , you want to have enough heat and airflow to get a cleaner burn on the wood, and those beautiful wisps of blue smoke.

I'm not familiar with your smoker, but you can do what I did: experiment on your setup until you get prettier smoke. When I did that, my food started tasting and looking (smoke ring) better!

Greetings from Louisiana

Comment

• Heip
          Heip commented
          Editing a comment
          I understand that different woods create different flavours but if I'm cooking low and slow I can't produce the heat to get that elusive blue smoke. I'm soooo confused!

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          Wonderful issue you bring up, Heip. The solution is your Fuel Size. To burn a blue smoke on a small stickburner, you must burn smaller logs! The Kindling Cracker allowed me to do this! #BlueSmokeSnob

• SJ9125
          SJ9125 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just got my backyard 2 weeks ago and LOVE it. Pork belly twice, a butt, a brisket and some ribs last Sunday, yesterday smoked burgers with great color/flavor to them. So the real question is... Which size Kindling Cracker and length logs do you start off with? I don't have a go to place to grab good wood so I've been using B&B from Buc-ee's, about 10" long post oak with fairly good success.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here