Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Are you cooking with that fire door open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thom Emery
    Former Member
    • Sep 2014
    • Indio Ca

Closed unless I’m running the pit over 350 Click image for larger version

Name:	A874067C-A723-4A5D-894A-140794FA2F7F.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	4.27 MB
ID:	454689

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Frozen Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      That is one monster smoker you have there Thom Emery! Very nice!

• Thom Emery
      Thom Emery commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks
      yea the door wont close when I’m running way high temps If the barrel is at 350 the firebox is like 400 something We can go even higher to cook pizza and steaks
  • Henrik
    Founding Member - Moderator Emeritus
    • Jul 2014
    • Stockholm, Sweden

I'm with Aaron on that one, I run with my door wide open. I don't even have vents

But, as someone else already mentioned: most offsets are created (slightly) differently, so experiment away and learn your cooker.

Comment

• jfmorris
    Club Member
    • Nov 2017
    • Huntsville, Alabama
    • Jim Morris

Cookers
      • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
      • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
      • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q (2007)
      • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
      • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
      • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
      • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
      • Anova
      Thermometers
      • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
      • Thermoworks Dot
      • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
      • Thermoworks RT600C
      Beverages
      • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

I've watched Aaron Franklin on TV walking around showing off his smokers, with some of the fire doors open like you say. I think something important to realize is that his smokers are HUGE monsters, with huge stacks, and I would hazard to guess that without the door open some, there is not enough airflow with whatever intake dampers are on most of those bad boys.

I feel like opening the door is just another means of temperature and air flow control, and depends entirely on the smoker design and temperatures, versus getting rid of "bad smoke" versus "good smoke". From what I read, the pro wood burners start the wood in a burn barrel before transferring to the smoker - that would get rid of some of the initial smoke. That said, if the wood is truly dry and well seasoned, you should not get thick white smoke anyway.

My offset has a firebox with the lid on top, intake dampers on the end, and at the bottom a slide out ash tray. If I leave the door/lid open, all the heat is going up and not into the cook chamber of course, so that is not an option. Sometimes if the dampers being wide open is not enough to get the temperature I want, I will actually pull the ash tray out a little, to add extra airflow from below the fire grate. Of course once I do that, if I leave it for long, I have to reach back in there with a thin charcoal rake I have and rake out any ash behind where it slides into the bottom of the firebox, otherwise I cannot push it back in fully to choke the fire back down.

To each his own, but I would not be leaving the door open just to leave the door open. I think it would be just part of fire management on a smoker that has insufficient intake vent area.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
      Club Member
      • Nov 2017
      • Northern Mn

Burn barrels are what the purist use jfmorris as you say. I tried it for awhile but I was going through WAY too much wood per cook. I don't have a supply of free wood so I just couldn't justify doing it. All you get from your exhaust is a heat signature and you have to really look to see that. It burns clean. Almost all heat source and no smoke. I use oak almost exclusively which is a mild smoke flavor to begin with so I do like a good thin blue going most of the time.

Franklin has some monster smokers and maybe he just needs that extra draw to pull it all the way through. Even at that I would think once you got the draw going and a hot fire You should be able to close the door if it's vented properly and the draw just takes over.

Something I don't think I seen mentioned in this thread is what people are doing with the exhaust vent. Mine is wide open at all times. If I need to adjust any vents it's done at the intake end of things.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine has no exhaust vent adjustment - the stack is wide open with a raised cap welded on a couple inches above the top. Later models my dad built had an exhaust adjustment that rotated over the stack to cap it off. He learned as he went I suppose. I’ve thought about getting a welder I know to help me add an exhaust vent but since I can get the temps I need I’ve not worried about it much.
    • 6th Borough BBQ
      Former Member
      • Feb 2017
      • Jersey City, NJ

I Leave mine open until the new log catches fire pretty good and then I close it or leave it very slighty open.

Comment

• DWCowles
        Founding Member
        • Jul 2014
        • Smiths Grove, Ky
        • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

You have to consider that all of Franklin’s pits are in a semi closed area so there’s not as much air circulating as it would be outside in the open. That’s just an uneducated guess. Maybe if Clint Cantwell ever gets a chance to interview Aaron Franklin that will be one the questions he will ask him.

I cannot explained why leaving my firebox open 3-5 inches controls the pit temp and the smoke so well but it works for me and I will continue doing it.

Every smoker (stickburner) has their own unique way of operating.

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
          Club Member
          • Nov 2017
          • Northern Mn

Good point DWCowles his pits are in a enclosed area rather than sitting outdoors. Add to that the high humidity often found in Texas. High humidity days with little to no breeze can make it hard to get a fire breathing.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            KCBS President, and Moderator
            • Jul 2014
            • Pellet Fired Jambo, T1000 Woodmaster, FEC100, MAK 2 star, Yoder 640, Backwoods Pellet Chef, 14" & 22" WSM, 22" Weber Kettle, Stoven, Hot Box Grill, Hasty Bake Portable

Frozen Smoke, good call on the cabinet doors. Since both my offsets have doors that lift up and lose heat, you learn not to open them unnecessarily. On the Grilla Grill, the door slides around from right to left. It holds heat better than the GMG or the MAK. My old FEC100 is about the ultimate cabinet cooker and it recovers heat very quickly.

How does your pit pull? Is it under 10' long?

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
              Club Member
              • Nov 2017
              • Northern Mn

CandySueQ both my rigs from rear to tongue are about 16'. They both pull beautifully. But i'm always pulling with my motor home or my truck but I'd feel confident my Subaru would pull either no problem.

The cabinet doors were something I didn't put much thought in to when I purchased it. But I realized the benefits of them over the counter weighted large mass doors rather quickly. I had a patio smoker with a big counter weighted door awhile back. I remember standing back when I opened it knowing all the smoke and heat was going to come flowing out. Opening it more slowly helped but once that counter weight takes over your kind of along for the ride.

Comment

• jfmorris
                Club Member
                • Nov 2017
                • Huntsville, Alabama
                • Jim Morris

Cookers
                  • Camp Chef FTG900 Flat Top Grill (2020)
                  • Weber Genesis II E-410 w/ GrillGrates (2019)
                  • Weber Performer Deluxe 22.5" w/ GrillGrates & Slow 'N Sear & Drip ‘N Griddle & Party Q (2007)
                  • Custom Built Offset Smoker (304SS, 22"x34" grate, circa 1985)
                  • King Kooker 94/90TKD 105K/60K dual burner patio stove
                  • Lodge L8D03 5 quart dutch oven
                  • Lodge L10SK3 12" skillet
                  • Anova
                  Thermometers
                  • Thermoworks Smoke w/ Wifi Gateway
                  • Thermoworks Dot
                  • Thermoworks Thermapen Classic
                  • Thermoworks RT600C
                  Beverages
                  • Whatever I brewed and have on tap!

Well, after saying I never cook with the door open on my little offset, I had this going on today after adding some oak to the firebox... I was maintaining 250F at the grate with the top door open for quite a while. Enough heat from the coals was still making it into the cooker to keep things going.

This was right after cleaning out the ashes and raking the coals to one side, before stoking the fire.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2C925F6D-DF95-4EEB-BD87-6B47ADDFD41B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	455474

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                  Club Member
                  • Nov 2017
                  • Northern Mn

That offset don't look so little jfmorris! Nice rig. Maybe after cleaning out the ash pan getting a good bed of coals and perhaps your sticks were at the perfect moisture level for burning you created the perfect fire! Stick burners can be like a good woman they always have a surprise or two left even after you thought you knew everything about them!

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I consider it small compared to many I see. The grate is 22" x 34", body is a couple inches bigger in each direction, I guess 24" x 36" then the firebox on one end. It also has a charcoal grate I can slide into the main chamber for direct grilling, through the opening for the sliding vent plates at the far end.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are right about moisture level. I had saved the small chunks and pieces from a load of oak that I had delivered a few months ago in a box in the garage, just to use for smoking, and they pretty much burst into flames even a few inches from the charcoal when I dropped them in!
                • overeasy
                  Club Member
                  • Nov 2017
                  • Sacramento Ca.
                  • Ironside Cabinet CDR "coming soon"
                    Karubecue C-60
                    Old Country Pecos Offset
                    Webber Kettle

If there is anything we should have learned to this point it is to be flexible. Learn from your cooks....
                  So you don't have the "Perfect Rig " to cook on.... Make your best effort and adjust to what it wants. You'll be a better cook in the long run and have more to offer to your compatriots! Not to mention better stories to tell.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's very good advice about not needing the "perfect rig". I really had bad MCS when I first joined here a couple of months ago, but gradually have realized I can save a lot of money to spend on meat if I just use the cookers I've got to the best of my ability, and tweak them if necessary.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                See more
                See less
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                Stylish and Affordable
                Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order