Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick Pits...Big Ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brick Pits...Big Ones

Ok, Jon started the conversations on BBQ Resolutions, and #5 on my list is to add more smokers to the portfolio. 5.A. is to construct a (large) Brick Pit behind one of my laundry business locations, because, Why Not! When I pull up to a BBQ joint, and I don't see a large stack of wood, and I don't see and outdoor pit, it's just not as fun. The large commercial smokers with the insulation, rotisserie racks, etc. do produce a good, consistent product, and a lot of it, but they are just not near as fun, cool, and down with the BBQ vibe as wood burning pits.

I see a lot of the offset stick-burners on the radar, and rightfully so. But I'm wanting to experiment with a Brick Pit that I could cook quite a bit of wonderful BBQ on (like 10 briskets, minimum). That way I can learn from Brick Pit #1, and build on that for the next (bigger) one.

Any thoughts or suggestions about learning about constructing and cooking on these cool things?

I'm going to make a road trip the Lockhart soon and check out the Big 3 there who all have these Brick gems, I think! (I may go there next week, I'll be within 100 miles!)

Isn't this fun?!!

As usual this site has the answer. Haven't tried it myself but a few have, I would love to give this a try but the POA would not approve.
    How to build a barbecue pit for cooking a whole hog from concrete block (cinder block), including illustrated plans with dimensions and various designs

Comment

John, You are so right that AR has it all!
      I can't wait to build the Brick Whole Hog cooker that MH & Co laid out in that post.

I'm looking to see how a Brick Indirect Smoker performs, and how to build one. I see the pic's from the Lockhart restaurants have a long horizontal tube with several insulated lids, and an offset firebox. I can't wait to go see them! I've seen a few pic's of people who have constructed 2 rack vertical smokers, with insulated doors. I'm wanting to see if we have some more wisdom and experience with these vertical varieties out there. Seems like vertical would be more fuel efficient and have more even heat, so you would not have to move the meat around as much.

Comment

Have to say Paul, I remember the Duds and Suds in Austin decades ago that was laundry and a bar, and there was a good Laundromat and Sandwich shop in Hermosa Beach, CA that I used to frequent, but Laundry and 'Que would be a go to place for me even having a washer and dryer at home....

Comment

Gotcha, misunderstood what you were looking for.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here