Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for guidance...buying a pellet smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for guidance...buying a pellet smoker

Hi, I'm new to the club and wondering if there is a resource to help me choose a pellet smoker for my needs. I found the "best value smokers" article and I'm aware that there are write-ups on many smokers. I'm wondering if it would be too much to ask to have a 5-10 minute conversation with someone from one of the reviewers before I buy. Please forgive me if it is lol. Thank you!

Dave

I don't use pellets, so I can't make any recommendations other than to read the reviews, check out the manufacturers websites, and search for videos on YouTube. Pellet owners will be along to give their opinions. Do you have a budget in mind?

Comment

Welcome to the club, I guess it depends on how deep you want to reach in your pockets and how much are you looking to cook at a time. Here is a link to a page on reviews based on pellet fuel for starters and if you can give a little more info on what your needs are you should be able to narrow down your choices. A lot of people like the rec tecs and if you like doing Pizza also Green Mountain Grills has a pretty cool accessory to do that on theirs. enjoy the pit, help will be around when ever you need it.
      https://amazingribs.com/equipment-re...el_tid%5B%5D=3.

Comment

Really good thread under the Wood Pellets section: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...traeger-or-gmg

I forget the thread but several members discussed being very happy with the CampChef SmokePro DLX. I remembered the brand and bookmarked it for my future MCS stage: https://www.campchef.com/pellet-grill-smoker-dlx.html

Comment

Welcome From Clay, Ny. I have recently Purchased a GMG Jim Bowie WiFi. I am still in the Learning stages of using it, but so far so good. There are as many opinions as there are options. I Chose mine based on Cost ( Black Friday sale 300 off). I was looking at and researching the Rec Tec 680, and stumbled on the Jim Bowie. There are some more experienced members that I am sure will jump in soon.
          If you have something specific in mind mention it and someone will help.

Comment

Pirate Scott said it well. There are lots of opinions and more people are interested in hawking what they have than in meeting your needs. There are several good sources of information about pellet grills and a wealth of information here

If you want a pellet popper then set your budget, read the reviews, try to see the various models available to you, listen to the sales pitches and choose one that seems to meet your needs.

Truth is, there really are no bad choices. You are most likely to be happy with what ever you choose. My gateway drug was the Green Mountain Daniel Boone at my seasonal residence. That purchase was made from a local dealer, but I was about as blind making that decision as you may feel you are now. It was based on bang for buck at my price point. Liked it so much I decided to purchase a pellet smoker for the house as well. That decision was made with specific wants and needs. It also had a much higher budget and I picked up the Memphis Advantage Plus.

Both produce incredible food. They operate much the same but each has unique characteristics. Is one better than the other? Yes, but when it comes to cooking food there isn't that much difference in the outcome.

Feel free to ask questions here. We can try to help but we can't choose the pellet grill that best suits you.

Comment

I agree with Aimless1 . There are no bad choices but some will have features that others don't. I started with a Traeger for several years then bought a Memphis Pro. I live in chilly Minnesota so the insulated Memphis Pro was worth it to me. Do your homework and you will be happy with your purchase.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the input so far. Here are some things about me/what I'm looking for:

I'm new to this. I've never owned a smoker nor have I practiced with someone who did
                This is not something that I am going to dedicate my life to lol...such as competitions etc
                When I do things I do them the right way and i don't half-ass it

I don't have a huge family to feed. I will host at times, but all I need is for the smoker to easily hold 4 full racks of ribs or a whole turkey

I want it to be a quality smoker that will last. I'm willing to pay for quality. I just don't need anything fancy. I would like to stay under $1,000 if possible

I want to be able to set it and forget it for the most part.

Accurate temp control and readings

I will be smoking in the cold at times in case this matters

Nice to haves in order of preference:
                1. searing capabilities (I don't have a gas grill)
                2. control/readings on my phone

Thank you!
                Last edited by kops501; December 30, 2017, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                  CandySueQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grilla Grills. Right now I have a MAK, a GMG Daniel Boone and the Grilla on the back porch. The Grilla is my go-to, mainly because of fast startup. It does low and I grilled burgers for lunch today.

• Powersmoke_80
                  Powersmoke_80 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think Grilla is insulated some what as well. Do you know? CandySueQ

• CandySueQ
                  CandySueQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No insulation but the way the grill opens it holds heat and recovers quickly.

Congratulations and welcome to the fun! You will have several good options at the $1000 mark for smoking…. It’s harder to find a good searing option although there are workarounds.

RecTec makes a good smoker, and new to the market is a smaller pellet cooker that is meant more for grilling. But that’s two cookers.

GMG has the WiFi as an option. The Pizza attachment does get extraodinarily hot. But that will require moving pieces out of the cooker and onto the firebox, so it’s kinda either/or as well.

Blaz’n Grillworks has a package they sell for two-zone cooking that’s pretty neat, but it might end up a hair over $1000.

Take a look at those and ask more questions. This can be a fun conversation!

Comment

Pellet grills are excellent at low & slow (BBQ) as well as set it and forget it. Not as good at searing.

If wifi is important to you then your list of options in your price range is relatively small. You might want to consider another grill (could be portable in either gas or charcoal) for searing. Most grills in that price range won't get above 500 degrees which means searing is going to be difficult.

Have fun researching.

Comment

Check out pellet grills under Wood Pellets tab too. I’d have to look at the Rec Tec kettle. Can’t beat the price!

Comment

I had the Yoder 640 and loved it. If CandySueQ recommends the Grilla Grilla, you can't get a higher recommendation.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                        CandySueQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Love my Yoder too!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here