Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craigslist Offset Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigslist Offset Smokers

What are some of the best offset smokers you've bought from Craigslist and for what price compared to new value?

Also what are the best deals you've gotten from selling any offset cookers on Craigslist?

I was wondering what everyone's experiences has been with Craigslist and offsets because sometime in the future, maybe a year from now or so when that MCS hits me bad, I'll probably search on Craigslist for a good deal.

A reason I'm thinking CL is because I could get a lower price on some expensive offsets.

Another reason is that I'd think I would be able to sell a used smoker at near my purchase price if I don't like that smoker too much or even learn that a stickburner is just not for me. If I bought a new one, I would think there's no way I could get near that original purchase price on a sale.

What are your thoughts and experiences with CL and offsets?

Me thinks yer thinkin to much, just sayin.

Comment

Go for it and you need to look often for deals. I Got this off craigslist for $475. It is an older Brinkmann 1/4" wall pit that was built by Rodger Davidson who now builds Horizon Smokers and the equivalent 20" Marshall sells for $1,500

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2574.PNG
Views:	2951
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	411209Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2583.JPG
Views:	2852
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	411210

Comment

Then when your not sure about burning sticks you mod it with a pellet hopper and you will have a super heavy duty pellet smoker and don't have sell to buy a new smoker Lol!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2983.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	411213
        Last edited by Powersmoke_80; November 16, 2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

If you're on the fence, just wait until you're ready. And by ready, I mean having a good idea of what you want and how much you are prepared to spend. When a great deal comes along, you won't have time to think through that process, you will need to be ready to pounce on it before somebody else does.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree with th' above statement!

As stated previous, do yer homework, so ya' know what's a deal, or not...
          Both my Oklahoma Joe's Highland, an' my Horizon 20" Classic were Craigslist buys...
          Here's th' Horizon...

Comment

• Anthonyf
            Anthonyf commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a really nice catch on your Horizon!

This post made my brain hurt and cry a little...

like buying anything used at an auction, yard sale, Craigslist, etc... it is up to you to know your stuff... not the seller... you need to know your budget, what you are looking for, how to determine quality and condition, etc... I tend to believe if you get a sh!t deal then shame on you... you didn't do your homework, do diligence, pricing, or proper negotiating... yes there are unscrupulous sellers and somethings are just lemons but still... so asking us about our experience using Craigslist for purchases is a little ... nvm.... I wouldnt trust Craigslist as my main venue to find an EOS smoker... you are at the mercy of finding someone who wants to sell one and even at that it might not be really what you are looking for or may not even be the best deal.

Comment

I trolled Craigslist for a year before I even saw something in Houston (about 5 hours west of where I live) that I would have wanted. It was an older design Rich Robin had for a vertical offset that was used, but in great condition. He called it the mosquito. Just needed a new coat of paint and some replacement grates. I passed, but my point is that you could spend a lot of time waiting for the right cooker. You'll see a lot of surplus Weber kettles and offsets of the Charbroil variety - things you can buy at Home Depot. I have yet to find a Weber Ranch Kettle... I cost out the time I wasted on CL (used my annual salary to determine an hourly wage) and it was more than enough for a down payment on a custom cooker from Shirley Fabrication. So, I stopped surfing and wrote a check to Shirley Fabrication.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I wrote them a check too. 😊

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              DWCowles Paul and Tyler will treat you right!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here