Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Country BBQ Pits Brazos Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Country BBQ Pits Brazos Smoker

Have y'all tried out this smoker? If you have it and another offset like a yoder or horizon, is it decently comparable? It's $999 from Academy and is made from 1/4" steel.

Because of that thickness, it seems like it would be pretty close.

I don't have the Brazos model, but there is a Youtube channel where a guy has done reviews of just about all of the Old Country line. He is admittedly not a pit master, but he does do some pretty solid video reviews.

Comment

Hi Anthony, I personally own the next step down model. (Wrangler)

The models for that general design range from the Ranch Hand ($299)
      Pecos ($399)
      Wrangler ($499)

And of course, the Brazos.

The Ranch Hand is the smallest and doesn't include a chicken shelf. (Smaller grating that runs along the top of the cook chamber.)

It's not on the level of Yoder or Horizon. The firebox on my Wrangler began rusting immediately after my first few cooks. It was a simple and easy fix for me though, I simply used a 1/2" drill with a wire wheel bit to scrub the rust and paint off the firebox (inside & out). I re-painted the firebox with high temperature black paint. No more problems ever since.

To be fair, you get a LOT for your money with the Old Country.

Just my two cents, hopefully it helps!

Comment

Hi Steve, I've done some research on the Brazo's smoker, it's an excellent smoker with a few mod's. Let me take you ina different direction.

How about a Lang 36? The Brazo's is $995, Plus $99 dollars shipping. So total price is $1100

The Lang 36 is $1295 ... if you pick it up, (I checked) it's roughly 9hrs from Lafayette ..so that's your time (a nice day trip) - but your getting a smoker that is second to none and you can choose & pick your smoker and maybe get from tips from the old man while your there.

I've checked Lang, the deal breaker for me is that it ships for $900 to my home in Los Angeles.

Just some food for thought ...

Comment

Sorry Tim, I think you misread what was written above. Anthony asked about the Brazos and I gave him my thoughts. Lang is a great cooker, no doubt!

Anthony, I also forgot to mention that you should be mindful of whether or not you want a "reverse flow" design for your particular smoker, or the traditional "offset" design.

This website can explain what I mean in great detail if you're not sure about what your specific requirements are. Just check the appropriate sections in the Table Of Contents.

Comment

I am so sorry .. your right.

Comment

No worries brother!

Comment

Oh shoot, and I thought we wuz goin to have a little dust up there. But, as usual, just another AR conversation.

Comment

• SoCalTim
                  SoCalTim commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I frequent a different bbq forum, it can get rough there, if you say something wrong or state your opinion and don't go along with the forum 'group think' you can expect to be attacked relentlessly and get an occasional 'throat punch' ..

The AR forum is awesome, Mod's are always around to move things along or suggest or? This forum is the absolute best!

I think a lang would be great, but I've heard of some scary shipping prices. I'm located in Houston. I haven't checked what it would be, but I'm sure it's much more than the $99 shipping for the Brazos.

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
                  SteveFromLafayette commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Klose pits are located in Houston, around the north side of the 610 loop. David Klose makes serious pits and also offers full customizations. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already?

• Beefchop
                  Beefchop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm with SteveFromLafayette. The offset world is your proverbial oyster if you live in Houston. Klose, Gator, JJ, Lonestar Grillz, Johnson. Gator has a holiday sale on their 20x36 for 1,500.

• Anthonyf
                  Anthonyf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was looking at Klose, and it did look very nice. That Gator holiday sale does sound very tempting.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here