Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindling Cracker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindling Cracker

Upon the glowing recommendation of PaulstheRibList awhile back, I finally ordered one of these gadgets and Brown Santa left it on my doorstep today. Man alive, what a handy tool! I have been trying much harder recently to get my logs to a more uniform length and thickness. Length is easy, but splitting them down to be thinner is more of a challenge at a certain point. The Kindling Cracker makes that part just as easy now. I found a better deal on eBay, but here is the listing on Amazon:

Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KKU8Z0Q...mazingribs--20
    Last edited by Huskee; October 19, 2017, 06:24 PM.

I got one a while back. As far as I'm concerned, it is the only way to split kindling.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I completely agree. It's a great and easy-to-use tool. At least for my case, which is splitting sticks for the KBQ.

Get a weighty mallet.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a 3 lb. hammer in my toolbox that is perfect for this.

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
    Upon the glowing recommendation of PaulstheRibList awhile back, I finally ordered one of these gadgets and Brown Santa left it on my doorstep today. Man alive, what a handy tool! I have been trying much harder recently to get my logs to a more uniform length and thickness. Length is easy, but splitting them down to be thinner is more of a challenge at a certain point. The Kindling Cracker makes that part just as easy now. I found a better deal on eBay, but here is the listing on Amazon:

Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KKU8Z0Q..._fms6zbB6JGFXA
    Dude!!!!! You are going to love it more and more! The log my Kracker at home is attached to fell apart...and I am without it! And it's Saints #WhoDatRibs Season. So I need a replacement log soon!

Comment

Need to get one. I wish they cost $40 instead of $90, lol.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        The one I got on eBay was $75 new in the box, and free shipping. And it came from Northern Tool, who sells it on Amazon. Can't always count on finding that deal, though. My off the books slush fund is running low with all the acquisions I have made lately. 😕

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. I hear that! Mine as well. And thank you for the tip, always pays to shop around.

• PaulstheRibList
        PaulstheRibList commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude, did you even ask your future neighbor for this for Christmas yet?

I need to stop reading The Pit late at night! Hurting my bank account. Kindling cracker and 4 Lb hammer headed my way!

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm guessing you'll like it.

The kindling cracker is a must for my horizon stick burner! AND I take it with me camping for fast, easy to start campfire kindling.So far, its been bullet proof!
      Everyone who's seen it used wants one.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And it sure beats screwing around with a splitter when you've been indulging!

Just order 😊

Comment

That looks ideal for camping trips. The wood at the state parks is always too big to get a good hot fire going. Once you get a bed of coals, no problem, but getting there...

Comment

This thing looks cool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61sX7oYy9pL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	404066

Comment

There is also a gravity-assisted type like this one:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	404097
            That one's not mine, but I made one that looks pretty much the same. (this one is actually a European style that has a hand-held ramrod type thing on the top - a local restaurant here in town uses one like this).

I bored a hole into a stump, drove a metal bar down 6-8 inches in it, then had my neighbor weld this little beauty together for me:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo Sep 22, 5 58 46 PM.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.05 MB ID:	404098
            It's basically a splitting wedge welded to a couple pieces of steel so that it can glide up and down the bar in the stump. I use a dead-blow hammer so that there's no bounce back. I actually made this so that my kids could help split wood for the wood stove without them having their hands near anything sharp.

You lift up the splitting head, set a piece of wood on the stump, bring the head back down on top of it (and gravity holds it there). You can then take your hands totally away and give it a whack with the mallet and it splits.

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
              Bob's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              That's neat. I'm making on of these! Thanks for sharing the pics and design.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Pretty cool!

I used to have one of these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a7bd7f6b88741c8ecc1ef4a94319cc93.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	404100

Comment

I have this...it’s easy on the body. 😊 Click image for larger version

Name:	B5D2F887-20C8-4013-8F03-622CF047EFD8.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	404144

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here