Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is sandblasting good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is sandblasting good?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2679.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	382250Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2681.jpg Views:	2 Size:	446.7 KB ID:	382248Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3036.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	382244Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3037.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	382245Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3039.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	382246Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3165.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	382247Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3035.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	382243Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3033.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	382242

Sooooo I bought a used Engelbrecht 1000 http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...eries-original and had it shipped to me (live in Los Angeles) from Arizona.. Excited to have the grill

However, the previous owner didn't really keep it cleaned and I'm a nerd for a clean grill.. MOST of mine look like they are fresh from the factory..

Now that's out the way... I wanted to do some deep cleaning and bringing this baby back to good looking.. A friend suggested sandblasting the grate and other inside parts because it was really "gunky". I had the main grate sandblasted and it came back looking pretty grey and I was told all I had to do was season it and start cooking on it again..

Check out the pics (the gunky inside and the sandblasted grate) ... Should I do the rest inside? Is it ok to cook on once seasoned? I'll take all suggestions on how to bring this thing back up to speed.. I figure sanding down and repainting handles etc. But the wheels and other parts? Where can I find high temp powder coating?

Sorry for the long thesis but wanted to leave no stone unturned.. Oh and btw... My wife has decided the house will be vegetarian now so... I'm not sure what I'm doing fixing it up.. I thought if I keep one grill, this will be it and the other 9 can go...
    Last edited by Timcee; September 18, 2017, 06:22 PM.

for starters I would get rid of the wife!!!. I am not sure what the best way to go would be as I dont know what those are made out of. Can you try seasoning the grate on another grill to see what you think?

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL... Man now you're talking my language!! I just have to find the legal way to do it.. Maybe sell a few grills to foot the bill..LOL... Did you see what sandblasting did to the grates and the grillgrates? Turned them super grey.. They feel kinda rough.. I thought about buying another grate from the co but b4 I spend $300 I wanted to try all options..

FWIW I use a soda blaster for restores then paint with multiple coats of high temp rustiolium with a HVLP spray gun with great results.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cooker BTW

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      You're really talking to a serious novice here.. So where can I get that high temp from? I'll look up soda blaster... Is it safer/better than sandblasting? Thanks

High temp rustolium is avalible at all big box lumber yards. Home Depot. Lowes. Menards. Find a Harbor Frieght for the soda blaster and HVLP stuff. Yeah soda is much cleaner and easier to deal with than sand.

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      For even cleaner use and even easier cleanup use dry ice blasting!

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Very true but pricey where I live Not something I can do at home compared to soda. Do you do that work Histrix
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 18, 2017, 08:17 PM.

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Who knew so many ways to blast.. Which will be the most minimal that I can do? Still wondering if the sandblasted grate is fine to season and cook on..

Damn that sand. And watch the overspray. Oops.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude it's really hard to take you seriously wearing that hat. ROFLOL. : )

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oversprays? Lost

I am not an expert and I have never used a sand blaster. I would pressure wash the inside and the grates. I would then spray the heck with it with cooking oil. For the outside I would pressure wash two to three times and would then put high temp pain on it. I would buy replacements for the casters and wheels. It actually looks like it is in pretty good shape.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely a project...Pressure wash sounds simple enough... Thanks for the tip

Jon Solberg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7504.PNG
Views:	1283
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	382297

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      You admitted you had six fingers so what are you telling me?! Hahahahaha

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones and tbob4

Bonsey I'm dying in the window!! Feeling good tonight as I have tomorrow off and a spigot on the wine box.

Beware of the 6th! Ha! You guys rock.
      Above ground pool Jon Solberg lmao!!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn't that a Grateful Dead hat?

Timcee I apologize for hacking your post. That's a great find! As everyone knows I have zero skills in building repairing or fixing anything. That is a sweet score though. I can't see the issue with the grate although I understand your explanation. Perhaps there are old timers who can help with the wheels. On ranches perhaps doing horse work.? Metal and steel is a "thing" not just a trade.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude.. Don't ever apologize.. It's all fun and love here.. As long as ya drop a tip or 2 fer meh! I love the hat.. Gonna make me find a pic of me in my Dr. Seuss hat behind the grill! Lol

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Timcee YES!!!

I spent so much time on the cleaning issue I didn't catch the last part. OK - I could share some really funny texts between me and my daughter about her vegetarian decision. My wife thinks we are both nuts. She (wife) says my daughter should be allowed to make up her own mind because every time she comes home she eats all of the meat I cook. She then leaves and decides to change her diet. Keep all of the BBQ's for perfecting vegetables. They may come in handy for turkey in November.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I like my tofu Mid rare pease. And........ never burn my kale! We should smoke it. 😎 Darn those SoCal natives. Do we have a cooker for that? I do not. Buddy,something tells me your turkey is first rate.

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea.. Did you read that I have 9 other grills? I sold 2, gave away 2 and still left with 10 so um yea as I decide what to do with this decision... Yes HH.. med rare tofu! LOL.. Last year my wife went to a friend's and they had TOFURKEY for their turkey.. Don't even ask... I was hoping this position would never cross my door.. Oh well. She gotta go..lol

a lot of times when you sandblast something you will bring it down to it's true color, and that is a dull gray. in addition, sandblasting is a messy messy job and sand comes in all shapes and sizes. you might have a bit of very small sand in the pits of the metal. what i would do is get an air compressor and blast your grates with compressed air to blow away any sand dust that is willing to come out, then season the metal with some good oil. i'm not an expert but i doubt there are a lot of health issues here. someone please correct me if i'm wrong

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey DD, yes that's what I was speaking of on the color (see pics above from the grate and grillgrates I had them sandblasted by a pro) but I wanted to know about the rest of the inside of the grill and if all that was left was to season the already sandblasted grate with oil and I'm ready to go...

It doesn't look that bad. I think sandblasting is a bit overkill. I'd scrub it down instead. Use a scotch brite type tool, only made for scrubbing metal.

If you're gonna the sandblast, then a few things may be worth considering:

1. You need somewhere to be when sandblasting. Either outdoors or a separate room. You're gonna have sand EVERYWHERE (including underwear et.c.)
    2. Using an air compressor is good for getting rid of the last sand, but make sure you use a moisture trap/filter on it. There is always a bit of moisture in the air in the compressor, and you don't want to spray the squeaky clean and completely untreated metal with moist air. It will start to rust before you have the chance to spray a primer on it.
    3. As soon as the metal is clean, start applying a primer to avoid rusting. This is crucial, waiting overnight won't cut it.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks a lot.. I had the grate sandblasted already from a local (see pic above) so you're saying to that apply primer on it next? Then oil to season it? I had some grill grates sandblasted to see how it would turn out (see pics above again) should I do the same to them?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I would use oil only on the grates, don't need/want paint on them. Since you let someone else do the sandblasting then things are a lot easier :-)
      I would paint the 'rest', just in case you sandblast them. But make sure you use heat resistant paint, or a two component paint (both can take the heat)

For the wheels Spinaker might think this trick would work: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...age5?pp=315605 I would be interested in reading what he thinks.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if there's an easier way to do the wheels being as though the machine weighs a ton.. I'm thinking as previously stated pressure washing?

Originally posted by Timcee View Post
    Sorry for the long thesis but wanted to leave no stone unturned.. Oh and btw... My wife has decided the house will be vegetarian now so... I'm not sure what I'm doing fixing it up.. I thought if I keep one grill, this will be it and the other 9 can go...
    Be happy you are not the house!

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's what I'll say.!!

Ok, here is my 2 cents, IMO the Grillgrates are ruined as they were hardcoat anodized at the factory and if that coating was blasted off you are now at bare aluminium. The metal bar type grate should be fine and I would get some 3M scoth brite pads from an automotive paint shop to smooth out the rough surface from the course sand that was used to blast and then season with oil. for the inside A good power washer like 2500psi with a rotory turbo tip like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-3...zle/1000065187 works great for stripping gunk off. Sand blasting the grill itself is fine and paint with Rustoleum bbq paint. ps you can check if the finish is stripped off the grillgrates by using an ohm meter on the suface because anodize is non conductive. hope this helps, Dean

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Timcee - I pressure wash the inside of my grills twice a year. The rest of the time I just clean them normally. Right after I wash them I spray/wipe with veggie oil and then light it up. It will not rust. I also actually oil the outside of the BBQ's twice a year and fire them up. No rust. Think about boiling water in a cast iron pan.

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 Got it and thanks for that.. Pressure wash tomorrow! Cast iron example made plenty sense

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Powersmoke_80 and Spinaker ...I have some extra ones so if GG say I've ruined them or not.. I'll still keep em for extra heat..

Timcee - many (if not most) commercial kitchens use bare aluminum skillets/frying pans. They are cheap, lightweight, heat up and cool down quickly, etc., etc.

An aluminum pan will season just like a cast iron pan simply by using it. Sure, things may stick a bit at first but that will lessen the more you use them.

If you wanted to start seasoning them you could just heat up your grill to a few hundred degrees, spray the grates with a light coat of Pam or the like, and put them in the grill and let them bake for awhile and then turn the heat off. Give that a go for a few cycles.

It's a moot point now obviously, but in the future if you ever want to clean something smooth and shiny like stainless steel grates have your sand blasting company use walnut shell blasting media. The walnut shell media won't pit/scratch the stainless and it will stay nice and smooth and shiny.

If you do contact GrillGrates about your grates please let us know what they say. I'm interested in seeing if they just try to sell you some new grates.
    Last edited by Histrix; September 19, 2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would be interested, too. Powersmoke_80 brought up a great point and one that I would have never thought of.

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much Histrix .. Is walnut shell like turning a knob for sandblasters? Meaning most would have that as an option? I am definitely contacting GG and will return with a full report.. I guess I should've checked in here first before doing it.. I'll ask and see if he can do the inside of the grill with the walnut.. Thanks for this!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here