Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire pit for cast cooking and open fire cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire pit for cast cooking and open fire cooking

Ive decided that I want a dedicated cast iron cooking pit as I am starting to really enjoy it and want to use more than one piece at a time. Ive been looking around for ideas and its looking like Ill have the grates and frame made but wasn’t sure what to use as a base / pit.
    Then I stumble on this and there’s not much I like better then a good piece of salvage to repurpose!
    The plan is to invert the this with the top of the lid up and the ring on top. It should make a fantastic fire ring to put a frame with Santa Maria type gear or a tripod for hanging kettles and DO from and to allow a multitude of cooking styles and even a great base to site Dutch ovens in.

It’s 37 inches across and weighs 500 lbs. Its only 5 inches deep is the only thing I don’t like about it. Sold iron so once its heated up it should stay that way a very long time…

Whatca think?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D152EC2C-165E-4F1D-A83C-86F790ED5F23.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.45 MB ID:	1369034
    Last edited by CHNeal; January 28, 2023, 04:04 PM.

You can easily do a couple rows of brick under it to raise it a bit and leave some gaps for better airflow for the combustion air. I have a fire pit that is about 14” tall and it struggles for air.

Comment

There’s tons of potential with it!
      It is going to be awesome!

Comment

We set up a CI cooking station at the cabin last summer and I highly recommend something bigger than that. Used a few old steel duck blind lids, it is probably about 30" x 72" on a simple frame waist high.

You can have two dutch ovens going at the same time as well as a chimney for new coals. You don't have to bend over as much, but it isn't so high it is hard to lift off.

This is a HUGE improvement over cooking on the ground.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here